Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked all day long on it without any issue, unfortunately still not capable of putting it to sleep.

An interesting thing is that when I try to put it to sleep using the menu -> Sleep, most services are suspended and the screen goes blank, however the keyboard stays lit even after minutes; in this state, tapping the keyboard does not "awake" the machine from whatever status it's in, the only way to awake it is by pressing the power button quickly twice .

On the other hand, pressing the power button during a normal session does not display the usual dialog with the buttons to sleep, shutdown, logout etc. and I remember this was working fine after the initial install.

Given I'm not an expert myself, I will simply reinstall on another drive during the weekend and check at what point of the setup sleep stops working to pinpoint the cause, then maybe post diagnostics and ask the resident experts.

Yes, same for me wake from sleep only happens by pressing power button, just once. Not a big deal anyway.

Yes, same for me wake from sleep only happens by pressing power button, just once. Not a big deal anyway.

Interesting, I had this issue for a bit but that resolved itself. I mean just earlier I woke it from sleep by opening lid, I see power button light come one pretty quick same with keyboard, then the screen flickers back and it's completely woke. Can you share problem reporting files when you have a chance so I can see? Use script from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/tool-generate-proper-problem-reporting-files.235953/

Funny enough after updating EFI with your updated kext and changes, now I also wake up from sleep when opening the lid an get the usual lock screen.

So I guess it's all good now ;-) Last Mojave update went smoothly too.

Damn, that trackpad is so sexy indeed lol Addictive.

Last edited:
Thunderbolt 3 is partially working, it works only if I turn on my laptop with the dock (Dell TB16) disconnected and connect it while I'm on the Clover screen. If I plug it in with the laptop off the only thing that works is charging

Just chiming in that I have no problems with this guide/setup so far with i5 9560 with 4k display after clean install.

All I did was replace the default clover, ran the post-install scripts, and everything seems to be working great. Everything is working as intended, even my TB3 port which is being used by a mini-display port adapter to connect to my external monitor. I can connect with my monitor at any instance, and it'll detect it and work. My external speakers also work with the ComboJack installer.

I'm unable to test anything wifi/iCloud related since I do not currently have a compatible wi-fi card, but I am using a USB3-ethernet adapter at the moment and internet works like normal.

Thanks a lot for your time writing this guide and work into this project! Let me know if anything needs to be tested.

So, I created a new user to try sleeping without any additional software and poof, when logged in with the new user sleep works fine o_O; still not working with my standard user, time to dig into third party software to identify the bugger.

I am now running with the same configuration as the first post with the exception of my own serial numbers in config.plist and Filevault related efi apps.

I've retested USB-C by rsyncing a directory from my previous drive (another 960 Evo Sata Filevault HFS+ drive) in a m.2 enclosure, copied a 103 GB Parallels vm in around 5 minutes and the checksums are matching.

Thunderbolt 3 is partially working, it works only if I turn on my laptop with the dock (Dell TB16) disconnected and connect it while I'm on the Clover screen. If I plug it in with the laptop off the only thing that works is charging
What kind of devices you're using it with?
Just tried putting my TB2->TB3 adapter at clover screen, and it still doesn't show up in USB devices, unlike my Z370N desktop where it works fine on USB-C port. Waiting for TB3->DP and TB3->Ethernet+USB adapters to arrive, to test them.

... 10 minutes later ...
OMG! IT WORKS! Thank you!!! :)
Since XPS port is TB3, and Z370N is USB-C 3.1, devices are being shown in different sections of system information app.
Z370N shows it under USB, and XPS shows it under PCI. And I can finally use my Apple TB2 Gigabit Ethernet adapter! :)
Doesn't work for miniDP though. Apparently, this TB3->TB2 adapter is for USB devices only.

Last edited:
Updated the BIOS from 1.9.4 to 1.12.1 from a thumb drive, still working so far.

After the BIOS update sleep seems to be working with my usual user, not sure if it's a coincidence but glad it is working.

@blazinsmokey @mazakiss , how many seconds does your XPS 9560 take to get to sleep? Mine takes around 8 seconds, I remember it was faster in High Sierra but to be honest I don't care that much as I enable sleep maybe twice a day.

how many seconds does your XPS 9560 take to get to sleep?
Mine takes 25 seconds with hibernate turned off (by SmartSleep) and 45 seconds with hibernate on.
High Sierra 10.13.6. I had similar results with Mojave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back