XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Hi @blazinsmokey,

First of all, thank you for the awesome guide! The effort is much appreciated!!
I just completed an upgrade from 10.13.6 to 10.14.2 - took a while as I had to clean up and decided to switch to WEG and VirtualSMC, but now my machine is running sweeter than ever.
I have two small problems though - well... one problem, and an interesting oddness. Perhaps you, or someone with the same system, can help with the problem.

The interesting oddness:
On @RehabMan 's suggestion, I put all injected kexts into /L/E, but noticed that with VirtualSMC.kext in there, boot would timeout with:

AppleLMUController::getSMCProvider Error: Wait for AppleSMC provider timed out
AppleLMUController::startError: Could not get SMCProvider
busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleACPICPU'

Removing VirtualSMC from /L/E (but keeping in CLOVER/kexts/Other) would enable the machine to boot.
(Looking at the gen_debug logs, I should do the same with SMCBatteryManager.kext but whatever)
Just putting this here in case it helps out anyone who has the same issue. I guess it's a load sequence issue?

The problem:
I have a Dell monitor that accepts a DP connection over USB-C, so I'm using that (through USB-C on the XPS).
When the monitor is attached, audio only comes through the laptop speakers, and there is no option in the Sound System Preference to switch to Display Port.
If I then connect the monitor via HDMI, I get two options - one for output through HDMI, and one for output through DisplayPort.
Switching to DP output gives me sound through attached speakers (as does HDMI), and then removing the HDMI cable enables the DP option to remain and work still.
Pulling the USB-C cable and then reattaching removed the DP option and it doesn't come back, until HDMI is plugged back in.
It's not really a major problem, as I have the above workaround, but I would love to get it sorted.
I tried both having USB-C attached before boot, and attaching it after I've logged in - no difference.
Is this something you (or anyone reading) has come across?

Just in case, I've attached the gen_debug output.

Thanks for any guidance you can give!

Attachments

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
The interesting oddness:
On @RehabMan 's suggestion, I put all injected kexts into /L/E, but noticed that with VirtualSMC.kext in there, boot would timeout with:

AppleLMUController::getSMCProvider Error: Wait for AppleSMC provider timed out
AppleLMUController::startError: Could not get SMCProvider
busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleACPICPU'
Once you install VirtualSMC.kext into /L/E, you must also install all other "kexts you need" into /L/E, as Clover will ignore content you have in EFI/Clover/kexts (due to config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts="Detect").

Note also: Your InjectKexts setting is wrong.

Motherboard
XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Once you install VirtualSMC.kext into /L/E, you must also install all other "kexts you need" into /L/E, as Clover will ignore content you have in EFI/Clover/kexts (due to config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts="Detect").

Note also: Your InjectKexts setting is wrong.
Thanks for the reply!
That didn't work for me. I reinstalled VirtualSMC.kext into /L/E, fixed perms, rebuilt cache etc, and set InjectKexts to Detect, and it went back to timing out at boot.
Booting into Recovery, and removing VirtualSMC.kext from/L/E allowed it to boot again.
All the kexts in /EFI/Clover/kexts were already in /L/E

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
That didn't work for me. I reinstalled VirtualSMC.kext into /L/E, fixed perms, rebuilt cache etc, and set InjectKexts to Detect, and it went back to timing out at boot.
You're not reading what I suggested...
Must install *ALL* kexts you need once you install VirtualSMC.kext.

All the kexts in /EFI/Clover/kexts were already in /L/E
Check your kextcache output to be certain everything that you need is installed properly.
And don't forget to set config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts="Detect" (it should have never been set otherwise).

Motherboard
XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Sorry, I'm not sure what I'm missing in what you suggested.
All the kexts that @blazinsmokey provided in his latest zip I had already put in /EFI/Clover/kexts and in /L/E
When I put them in /L/E, I chmod'ed and chown'ed them and ran sudo kextcache -i /
I set config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts="Detect" before the last attempt.

I've attached the latest output from kextcache -i (this is obviously without VirtualSMC.kext and SMCBatteryManager.kext in /L/E)

Must install *ALL* kexts you need once you install VirtualSMC.kext.
Or are you saying there is an order to the installation, and I'm not following that order?

Attachments

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-OpenCore
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD 530 1920 x 1080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Sorry, I'm not sure what I'm missing in what you suggested.
All the kexts that @blazinsmokey provided in his latest zip I had already put in /EFI/Clover/kexts and in /L/E
When I put them in /L/E, I chmod'ed and chown'ed them and ran sudo kextcache -i /
I set config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts="Detect" before the last attempt.

I've attached the latest output from kextcache -i (this is obviously without VirtualSMC.kext and SMCBatteryManager.kext in /L/E)

Or are you saying there is an order to the installation, and I'm not following that order?
try this

install all kexts to /Library/Extensions and then add boot argument: vsmcgen=1

had the same issue on my laptop and the above boot argument allowed my machine to boot

Motherboard
XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
try this

install all kexts to /Library/Extensions and then add boot argument: vsmcgen=1

had the same issue on my laptop and the above boot argument allowed my machine to boot
Thanks @Feartech , that worked a treat!