Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Big Sur OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the version 0.6.5 I have this weird problem were MacOS won't shutdown.
Haven't found a fix. @blazinsmokey or @Lopburi do you have some kind of idea?

Sorry for the picture... Only log messages which I get at shutdown are these:
The only thing which seams weird to me is the "Unmount of /System/Volumes/Data/home failed"
View attachment 513921)
If I plug/unplug an usb I get these messages:
View attachment 513922
I haven't had this problem, granted I probably restarted this laptop since the .5 update like 4 times since. I don't use the laptop anymore, I need to get rid of it actually. I think maybe switching to mapping usb ports using a SSDT might fix this. One of my releases from Mojave used SSDT to map it, might have to do some digging to find that.

Saw another user say the last release was not latest opencore, can anyone actually confirm that?

Hi, I succesfully moved from Clover to OC on Catalina and then updated to Big Sur. Everything went fine as far as I'm aware, I even managed to keep my W10 install working. The only thing that's not working in Big Sur right now is bluetooth. I have a DW1560, it did work with Clover/Catalina but once I moved to OC it stopped working. Any ideas what could be the problem? I already tried 'sudo pkill blued', as that sometimes did the trick in Catalina, but it doesn't work now unfortunately

Camera is also no longer working, at least not in FaceTime

I haven't had this problem, granted I probably restarted this laptop since the .5 update like 4 times since. I don't use the laptop anymore, I need to get rid of it actually. I think maybe switching to mapping usb ports using a SSDT might fix this. One of my releases from Mojave used SSDT to map it, might have to do some digging to find that.

Saw another user say the last release was not latest opencore, can anyone actually confirm that?

It is for sure not on the newest open core.

I think it *is* OC 0.6.7.

Argument in favour of it being 0.6.5:

If I enter 'nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:eek:pencore-version' into the terminal it shows '0.6.5' but it seems to be getting this from NVRAM and I didn't reset the NVRAM since I installed the initial 0.6.5 config. I don't think that this is correct - see the two counter-points below. Hackintool and Kextupdater also report 0.6.5 - however I would guess that they get this info from the NVRAM as it does not seem to be correct. I really don't want to reset NVRAM and add back my Windows boot entry and other settings, so I'm going to leave it as it is for now...

Arguments in favour of it being 0.6.7:

If I open the properties for OpenCore.efi (In EFI/OC), it shows 1. March 2021 for the creation date, which was the date that 0.6.7 was released, as per https://github.com/acidanthera/opencorepkg/releases. This is using the latest 0.6.7 EFI on the first page of this thread.

Presumably if it was 0.6.5, it would show 4th Jan as the creation date? (Release date for 0.6.5). Edit: I just downloaded the OC 0.6.5 release from Acidanthera and, indeed, when I click on the properties for Opencore.EFI it shows: 'Monday, 4. January 2021' as the creation date. I looked inside the 0.6.5 EFI release on the first page of this thread and clicking the properties also shows 'Monday, 4. January 2021' as the Opencore.efi creation date. I really don't think the latest EFI release is using OC 0.6.5.

In addition: If it wasn't 0.6.7, wouldn't the removal of bootstrap also prevent booting into MacOS?

I'm almost certain that your latest release is indeed using OC 0.6.7, Blazinsmokey.

Extra stuff:

Just to add: No issues restarting so far on 11.2.3. In fact, no issues at all.
2nd edit: My wireless and BT both work fine with Blazinsmokey's latest EFI on the first page, as also does in the camera in Facetime and every other app. In regards to the BT, I *do* have the DW1830 card however, however the DW1560 should also work just fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 14.45.50.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 14.45.50.png
    996.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I am using a 14,3 system definition and have my USB ports defined by SSDT instead of kext, see attached.

Attachments

• SSDT-USBP.aml
    2.7 KB · Views: 49
Hey @Benni or was it bennibennibennibenni? lol thanks for checking the files, much appreciated. Glad to see all is working well for someone here. How is the laptop holding up these days as a daily driver?

Yea its definitely updated @Zacharybinx34, there was an bug confirmed by vit9696 see below
https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1539#issuecomment-788905685
You may need to reset the nvram a couple times per some other users as well

I know OC released a newer version this month, I'm not sure I'll get to it in a timely fashion.
You can read about the changes here

And update it following the directions here

For those of you wishing to update, a simple run through the upgrade procedure seems to work as expected, and kext updates are stable for us - no significant changes necessary. Depending on how old of a revision you are updating from, you may need to replace your "Resources" folder with the latest from OCBianryData.

Hi,
HDMI output to a 4K monitor is not working for me. Whenever I connect my 4K monitor the display starts fluctuating. I am on XPS 9560 with 1080p screen. When I connect to a 1080p monitor the external display works. Can someone suggest anything which I could try. I have already tested the cable/monitor by booting into Windows 10 and it works.

Thanks

Hey @Benni or was it bennibennibennibenni? lol thanks for checking the files, much appreciated. Glad to see all is working well for someone here. How is the laptop holding up these days as a daily driver?

It has been spectacularly uneventful so far and the move to Open Core has made OS updates more predictable. Everything (Except the dGPU) just works on my system. Some minor flakiness with the Sinetek SD card reader kext but no KP's. No complaints at all as a daily driver.

It has been spectacularly uneventful so far and the move to Open Core has made OS updates more predictable. Everything (Except the dGPU) just works on my system. Some minor flakiness with the Sinetek SD card reader kext but no KP's. No complaints at all as a daily driver.
Good to hear the Sinetek driver has come a long way. Perhaps I will reinstall, I was getting KPs a while ago, but I see there have been several revisions since.

But yes - with OC, a fantastic daily driver. Arguably the best MacBook I've ever owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back