Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Big Sur OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still using my latest EFI posted, didn't update kexts or OpenCore and updated to 11.2 without issue. If you got a failed update, you probably changed something you shouldn't have.

If you want to update OpenCore you need to read the below thoroughly and understand changes, the biggest being the removal of bootstrap/bootprotect. In short they made changes so OpenCore.efi can be booted directly.

And here are the basics on updating OpenCore and kexts. Including updating the config.plist

And here is the new bootstrap update info as stated above. If you fail this step prepare for a headache.

I will likely get to updating the EFI at some point but the only real change to this machine which isn't even necessary is the SMCDellSensors might have some improvements. So if you're waiting on me it may come next month when OpenCore 0.6.7 is released.

Hey,
How did you get the camera to start working again?
That seems like the only issue I have right now, FaceTime says "No camera available"

i was using another SMBIOS 14,3 the USBPorts kext i used from JardenLiu's repository which fixed the issue.

Is anyone else have issue with network speeds.
I am getting slow speeds over wifi and lan , not sure if this is normal with such builds or maybe something with my config.
I am attaching screenshot of speed test 1st with linux machine over lan and 2nd with xps with macos over lan
I get similar speed with wifi as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.45.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.45.59 PM.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 95
Thanks for the comprehensive guide. I was struggling with jardenliu's setup. For whatever reason I can't see the mac os installer when booting open core when using that EFI.

I'm up and running, but one small thing to note. I'm on bios 1.19 and I had to change the cfg lock to 0 to disable it instead of 0x1.

I did have another issue however with the post install. I'm trying to run the combojack installer, however there is an executable named bin in usr/local/

When I run the installer or even a simple cd, I get the following error:

cd: not a directory: /usr/local/bin

So far I can't create a bin directory since it shares it's name with the executable. My questions are:

1. What is this executable?
2. Can I safely delete it and create a new directory?

Apologies if this was asked before, but I couldn't find an option to search the thread.

***Edit***

I noticed the created date for the bin executable lined up with the first time I ran the install script. Based on this, I deleted the file and created the bin directory. The install succeeded correctly.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten imessage to work correctly? I generated new serial numbers etc, but so far haven't been able to use it. I am able to login and it shows me the interface for a few seconds before kicking me back out to the login page.

I'm up and running, but one small thing to note. I'm on bios 1.19 and I had to change the cfg lock to 0 to disable it instead of 0x1.

I did have another issue however with the post install. I'm trying to run the combojack installer, however there is an executable named bin in usr/local/

When I run the installer or even a simple cd, I get the following error:

cd: not a directory: /usr/local/bin

So far I can't create a bin directory since it shares it's name with the executable. My questions are:

1. What is this executable?
2. Can I safely delete it and create a new directory?

Apologies if this was asked before, but I couldn't find an option to search the thread.

***Edit***

I noticed the created date for the bin executable lined up with the first time I ran the install script. Based on this, I deleted the file and created the bin directory. The install succeeded correctly.

I also faced the same issue with executable, for me changing the script fixed it.

Changelog for v0.5
  • After replacing EFI, on next reboot go directly into BIOS and set boot path to OpenCore.efi
  • Updated OpenCore files to 0.6.7 including drivers and kexts
    • Bootstrap removed as of 0.6.6
    • Launcher option not necessary
  • Reconfigured OpenCanopy due to config changes, using modern attributes
  • Added IOKitPersonaly to USB Ports for 14,3 since some of you think it's a better SMBIOS for some reason. It's really not but to save the repeated questions about why certain USB devices don't work like webcam, I added it.
  • Combo Jack install.sh fixed by adding trailing backslashes to not overwrite bin folder as per @Khaliq
  • config changes made for both 0.6.6 and 0.6.7
    • Added Entries
      • config.plist -> DeviceProperties -> Add - Missing Key: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)
      • config.plist -> Kernel -> Quirks - Missing Key: SetApfsTrimTimeout
      • config.plist -> Misc -> Boot - Missing Key: LauncherOption
      • config.plist -> Misc -> Boot - Missing Key: LauncherPath
      • config.plist -> PlatformInfo - Missing Key: UseRawUuidEncoding
      • config.plist -> PlatformInfo -> Generic - Missing Key: MaxBIOSVersion
      • config.plist -> UEFI -> Audio - Missing Key: ResetTrafficClass
      • config.plist -> UEFI -> Output - Missing Key: GopPassThrough
      • config.plist -> UEFI -> Quirks - Missing Key: ActivateHpetSupport
      • config.plist -> UEFI -> Quirks - Missing Key: DisableSecurityPolicy
    • Removed Entries
      • Sample.plist -> DeviceProperties -> Add - Missing Key: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x17,0x0)
      • Sample.plist -> DeviceProperties -> Add - Missing Key: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)
      • Sample.plist -> DeviceProperties -> Add - Missing Key: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)
      • Sample.plist -> Misc -> Security - Missing Key: BootProtect
      • Sample.plist -> UEFI -> Input - Missing Key: KeyMergeThreshold
  • Upgraded to macOS 11.2.2
Edit: Almost forgot, I don't think this laptop has ever idled at such low power consumption, pretty amazing...
coconut battery.png

Hi all,
I would like to thanks a lot the author for this guide, it is my first hackintosh and I managed to successfully install big sur on my XPS. Nearly everything works great that's awesome.
I still have some issues and because I'm clearly not an expert I would like to ask you some help.
  • I have an external thunderbolt usb/ethernet hub. Every usb ports works fine, I just can't make ethernet visible in MacOS. In System report>USB usb part is here but nothing about ethernet. And in system configuration>network there's no ethernet interface to configure a new network.
  • I have an alert about a battery problem. (I'm on a french system so I'll try to translate the message the best as I can) "Important message about battery: The battery capacity as considerably decreased. To get back an optimal capacity, check your service options". My laptop is plugged in and the battery is full
  • And more generaly, I'm clearly not sure if I made everything right in the config.plist file. I tried to follow Vanilla guide but well, because english is not my mother tongue and hackintosh and MacOS is really new to me, I was clearly lost. If a kind person have some time to check it for me, it would be really appreciated :) For exemple I have some OCS index error at boot, I've read that's because I used Clover Configurator to edit config.plist. What can I do to correct this ?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

EDIT: I've just copied the 0.6.7 author EFI folder over mine, config.plist included to start back on a fresh one. I used GenSMBIOS and plist editor pro, at least I don't have any OCS index errors anymore.

Attachments

• config.plist
    43.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
@Qualinost As per my personal experience some Ethernet cards simply does not work with mac, i have a dlink usb Ethernet and it does not work for me on mac, you can check the vendor website.
With regards to battery, this error is about battery health i think, you can check this in your bios , you will know the battery health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back