Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Big Sur OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
What version is your BIOS? The latest one available on Dell's website is the one I'm using which is from Nov 20th, 1.21.0 as stated in the guide. The commands should have worked for that.

Now the CFGLock.EFI link seemed to have disappeared and I couldn't find a repository or code source for it... maybe y'all got lucky and others not. I find it hard to believe a universal tool to unlock the variety of UEFIs out there didn't brick or corrupt a few desktops or laptops.
That's what I got too. Before I updated your commands worked fine, but after updating it reset the bios and refused to unlock.

CGLock.EFI did the trick for me.

Changelog for v0.4
  • updated to OpenCore 0.6.5
  • all kexts updated
    • VoodooPS2Controller can now be updated
  • unified config for FHD and 4K framebuffer
    • added patch for 4K @60Hz builtin screen
    • removed unifiedmem apparently it’s not recommended
    • added force-online which fixes hdmi black screen on wake
  • Remove SMCLightSensor
  • Remove SMCSuperIO, SMCDellSensors covers Temp/Fan
    • maybe this fixes some of the comms issues lingering for some user
  • tested sleep for 12 hours had literally zero effect on battery
  • idles < 6 Watts at 50% brightness via coconut battery, I’ve seen as low as 5.22 Watts
    • including after 12 hours of sleep so we know everything is turning on and off properly
    • this is definitely an improvement
@LeLunZ looked into removing fakepciid and intel_hdmi_audio, our device is still not native to AppleHDAController(has a whitelist) which is why we need this spoof still, the device is 8086,A171 or A170 I can't remember now

^^ After replacing v0.4, my laptop will not boot into BigSur desktop. Boot logo goes halfway then reboots.

^^ After replacing v0.4, my laptop will not boot into BigSur desktop. Boot logo goes halfway then reboots.
use the debug config, see where it's stalling, what is your laptop specs? 4k?

i7 cpu, 1050 gpu, 4K screen. Stops at ".......lightsensor" something

i7 cpu, 1050 gpu, 4K screen. Stops at ".......lightsensor" something
Can you take a picture and are you using the EFI as is no edits?

Changelog for v0.4
  • updated to OpenCore 0.6.5
  • all kexts updated
    • VoodooPS2Controller can now be updated
  • unified config for FHD and 4K framebuffer
    • added patch for 4K @60Hz builtin screen
    • removed unifiedmem apparently it’s not recommended
    • added force-online which fixes hdmi black screen on wake
  • Remove SMCLightSensor
  • Remove SMCSuperIO, SMCDellSensors covers Temp/Fan
    • maybe this fixes some of the comms issues lingering for some user
  • tested sleep for 12 hours had literally zero effect on battery
  • idles < 6 Watts at 50% brightness via coconut battery, I’ve seen as low as 5.22 Watts
    • including after 12 hours of sleep so we know everything is turning on and off properly
    • this is definitely an improvement
@LeLunZ looked into removing fakepciid and intel_hdmi_audio, our device is still not native to AppleHDAController(has a whitelist) which is why we need this spoof still, the device is 8086,A171 or A170 I can't remember now
Great work, thank you! Gonna update now.

Hi and thank you fo this guide and a special thanks for the maintenance on the community audio workaround. Is it working for Catalina too? (Question 1)

What do you see when you open up the PCIe section of Hackintool. Do you have APSM enabled on the SATA, xCHI or TBT controller? I do not. Find image attached. (Question 2)

ASPM BIOS settings can be altered through modGRUBshell. But should it be altered? There's a auto option. I'll have a look if it's set to that or disabled or whatever. If I search the IFR extrakt .txt for 'L0s1' there's 28 hits. BIOS 'forms' for Root port 1 - 24, thunderbolt and PEG0,1,2 have it.

Attachments

• extrakt.txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 148
  • Skärmavbild 2021-01-08 kl. 03.42.46.png
    Skärmavbild 2021-01-08 kl. 03.42.46.png
    551 KB · Views: 95
^^ OK, after finding a real Mac to replace the EFI folder again, I was able to boot back into BigSur. The issue was I did not use your KEXT folder in version 0.4 but had replaced it with the KEXT folder from my previous working version. With this new version upon boot though, there is a kernel panic and then it boots into the desktop.

Attachments

• kernel-panic.jpg
    kernel-panic.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 66
I've been avoiding updating VoodooPS2Controller due to the default Command / Option swap. I see the SSDT to re-enable the swap in the docs, but I don't see this implemented in the sample config. How is everyone achieving this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back