[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Big Sur OpenCore

Motherboard
Dell XPS15 9650
CPU
I7
Graphics
Nvidia 1050
Thank you @blazinsmokey for the update.
I did not noticed any issue with HDMI and USB, only face issue some time with my 2nd monitor connected via USB-C to hdmi adapter.
But there is one issue after this update, the builtin webcam stopped working, i rolled back to previous version and it works fine with 0.2 release.
Hey,
How did you get the camera to start working again?
That seems like the only issue I have right now, FaceTime says "No camera available"

Motherboard
Asus Prime X270-P
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1050
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
FYI, you've got some outdated kexts in your EFI that I have to update in order for my trackpad to function. Also, there are some deprecated and missing OpenCore lines it seems when I ran it through OC-Tool.

New opencore just came out too, I tried updating to it, but I borked something. You releasing any updates on it?

Thanks again!

Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Hero
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
HD 4600 + GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Still using my latest EFI posted, didn't update kexts or OpenCore and updated to 11.2 without issue. If you got a failed update, you probably changed something you shouldn't have.

If you want to update OpenCore you need to read the below thoroughly and understand changes, the biggest being the removal of bootstrap/bootprotect. In short they made changes so OpenCore.efi can be booted directly.

And here are the basics on updating OpenCore and kexts. Including updating the config.plist

And here is the new bootstrap update info as stated above. If you fail this step prepare for a headache.

I will likely get to updating the EFI at some point but the only real change to this machine which isn't even necessary is the SMCDellSensors might have some improvements. So if you're waiting on me it may come next month when OpenCore 0.6.7 is released.

Motherboard
XPS 9560 OEM
CPU
Intel I7 7700HQ
Graphics
Intel /Nvida
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey,
How did you get the camera to start working again?
That seems like the only issue I have right now, FaceTime says "No camera available"

i was using another SMBIOS 14,3 the USBPorts kext i used from JardenLiu's repository which fixed the issue.

Motherboard
XPS 9560 OEM
CPU
Intel I7 7700HQ
Graphics
Intel /Nvida
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Is anyone else have issue with network speeds.
I am getting slow speeds over wifi and lan , not sure if this is normal with such builds or maybe something with my config.
I am attaching screenshot of speed test 1st with linux machine over lan and 2nd with xps with macos over lan
I get similar speed with wifi as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.45.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.45.59 PM.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 11
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
UHD 630
Thanks for the comprehensive guide. I was struggling with jardenliu's setup. For whatever reason I can't see the mac os installer when booting open core when using that EFI.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
UHD 630
I'm up and running, but one small thing to note. I'm on bios 1.19 and I had to change the cfg lock to 0 to disable it instead of 0x1.

I did have another issue however with the post install. I'm trying to run the combojack installer, however there is an executable named bin in usr/local/

When I run the installer or even a simple cd, I get the following error:

cd: not a directory: /usr/local/bin

So far I can't create a bin directory since it shares it's name with the executable. My questions are:

1. What is this executable?
2. Can I safely delete it and create a new directory?

Apologies if this was asked before, but I couldn't find an option to search the thread.

***Edit***

I noticed the created date for the bin executable lined up with the first time I ran the install script. Based on this, I deleted the file and created the bin directory. The install succeeded correctly.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
UHD 630
Has anyone gotten imessage to work correctly? I generated new serial numbers etc, but so far haven't been able to use it. I am able to login and it shows me the interface for a few seconds before kicking me back out to the login page.

Motherboard
XPS 9560 OEM
CPU
Intel I7 7700HQ
Graphics
Intel /Nvida
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm up and running, but one small thing to note. I'm on bios 1.19 and I had to change the cfg lock to 0 to disable it instead of 0x1.

I did have another issue however with the post install. I'm trying to run the combojack installer, however there is an executable named bin in usr/local/

When I run the installer or even a simple cd, I get the following error:

cd: not a directory: /usr/local/bin

So far I can't create a bin directory since it shares it's name with the executable. My questions are:

1. What is this executable?
2. Can I safely delete it and create a new directory?

Apologies if this was asked before, but I couldn't find an option to search the thread.

***Edit***

I noticed the created date for the bin executable lined up with the first time I ran the install script. Based on this, I deleted the file and created the bin directory. The install succeeded correctly.

I also faced the same issue with executable, for me changing the script fixed it.