Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Big Sur OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like 4K users can now get their 60Hz back, I'll release a version when the time comes but basically build whatevergreen and use the new boot arg as seen below. Someone want to test it out?

- Add max pixel clock override through `-igfxmpc` boot argument or `enable-max-pixel-clock-override` and `max-pixel-clock-frequency` device properties
source: #79

However, since I've stopped using Thunderbolt and disabled unnecessary kexts (SMCDellSensors.kext, SMCLightSensor.kext, SMCProcessor.kext, SMCSuperIO.kext) the problem seems to be gone (no freezes since then).

I tested in dcord(I believe if we type out the actual comms app it'll need mod approval) apparently not still need approval for some reason.... for like 30 minutes maybe longer, audio/camera both on and shared full screen and no problems, the other user therealthingy here seemed to confirm everything was working with the latest release and mentioned these comms app issues before. You are using the latest release?
I should note that I'm using the latest release w/ the previously mentioned kexts disabled (i.e. also SMCDellSensors.kext).

Since then I haven't had any issues w/ freezes using Discord, M$ Teams, etc.

@LeLunZ
Yes brightness is fixed through those things you mentioned but at least at the time or whenever, they didn't save the brightness level through reboots. Made note on removing SMCLightSensor and testing for next release. Maybe whatevergreen implemented something for this over the years and I missed it.

I tested in dcord(I believe if we type out the actual comms app it'll need mod approval) apparently not still need approval for some reason.... for like 30 minutes maybe longer, audio/camera both on and shared full screen and no problems, the other user therealthingy here seemed to confirm everything was working with the latest release and mentioned these comms app issues before. You are using the latest release?

The SMBIOS thing could be an issue, I'm sure you read my reasons in the guide. Is there a specific reason you need to use 14,3? I find the only reason people want 14,3 is to pretend they have a better laptop lol. There is no logical reason to use 14,3 that I have come across. Note even for TB b/c we only have one port. I wonder if 14,3 macOS expecting the added security from the T2 chip is giving your system problems. Could be some added layer of security for use of camera/microphone? I don't know. I just looked at the notouchid kext and seems there are some reverts in commits and notice about not needing it in 11.1. This is exactly the reason I recommend using 14,1. Trying to patch out hardware requirements to fit a laptop profile doesn't really make sense when there's already a profile that doesn't have it.

My laptop shutsdown as normal maybe 5 seconds or so. Final thought the further you stray away from my setup like using a different SMBIOS the harder it is for me to help you or to figure out solutions for new problems. I'm glad you're doing your own investigating but I think you can understand where I'm coming from.
Thx I understand.
Lesson learned :)
MacBook Pro 14,1 has i5 or i7 (different than the i7-7700HQ)

The 14,3 has the same Prozessor and display size.
that’s why I thought it’s better to take it

Looks like 4K users can now get their 60Hz back, I'll release a version when the time comes but basically build whatevergreen and use the new boot arg as seen below. Someone want to test it out?

It works I can confirmed, no more 48Hz.

^^ What is the procedure???

^^ What is the procedure???
Add max pixel clock override through `-igfxmpc` boot argument and delete EDID patch from Device Properties "<key>AAPL00,override-no-connect</key>.

I also have installed the "XPS 9560 v0.3 - OC 0.6.4" version of yours and is success build for Big Sur 11.1
Its working well, but only in one external monitor! Let me explain, when I start my xps 15 9560, I have the command screen running on the xps monitor, until stops and then I plug the the external monitor, and open the desktop normally, at the shame time the xps monitor turn to black screen (with touch screen working)!
I have also update the VoodooI2C, VoodooPS2Controller to newest version but the problem remain the same.
is there something else to try on?
Thank you for your time and efforts

I also have installed the "XPS 9560 v0.3 - OC 0.6.4" version of yours and is success build for Big Sur 11.1
Its working well, but only in one external monitor! Let me explain, when I start my xps 15 9560, I have the command screen running on the xps monitor, until stops and then I plug the the external monitor, and open the desktop normally, at the shame time the xps monitor turn to black screen (with touch screen working)!
I have also update the VoodooI2C, VoodooPS2Controller to newest version but the problem remain the same.
is there something else to try on?
Thank you for your time and efforts
Pretty sure there is language barrier issue here because I'm not understanding you. Maybe you could record a short video of what is happening?
For your 4K screen, did you build the latest whatevergreen, remove the edid override and add the max pixel clock override patch via boot args or device properties?

I'll test it, but what do you mean "build whatevergreen"?

Did you ever come up with a fix for HDMI and sleep? Currently, I have to unplug and replug it back in to get it working right after sleep.

Thanks!

I'll test it, but what do you mean "build whatevergreen"?

Did you ever come up with a fix for HDMI and sleep? Currently, I have to unplug and replug it back in to get it working right after sleep.

Thanks!
Already tested and confirmed working
About your HDMI fix, try the latest version and find out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back