Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9530 Clover UEFI / Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, that is my first try for XPS 9530, I am trying to unlock the bios, went to many resources and I always end with wrong size file:
"Right click on the "Compressed Section" just below the "DXE Dependency Section", and select "Extract body as", save this as "setup.bin" (474,524 bytes in size)" only I received 105Kb file and no existence for 01 01 00 01 01 01 01 00 00 00 on setup.bin, I have used the dumped bios. what I am doing wrong here, my bios version is A09
it looks like the forum is deal silence

I updated to A11 and still have my patched bios file, I saved this photo back in March when I updated I believe this is what the changes need to look like when you are done but you can compare and see if it helps you.
87698-71d477bab2dcc59c80e94e6f64136b59.png

I wanted to share the following information, just in case, for anyone who happens to inherit an XPS 9530 like I did and runs into this same issue...

Following this guide got me all the way to the macos install screen which we all know is followed by at least one reboot if not more. The problem I ran into was once my machine rebooted I could see the Dell logo screen however pressing F12 (so I could boot off the macos thumb drive) would result in a black screen instead of the normal boot options screen, thus leaving the macos install unfinished. My work around for this was to boot from an MSDART thumb drive, plug in an additional thumb drive with the requied/modified BIOS files listed within the guide, and reflash the modded BIOS. I had to do this three more times during the install process then once again later when I upgraded to 10.15.3. No problems with this issue coming back since.

Last edited:
tcourchaine and anyone else who updated past 10.15.0, did you have issues with headphone audio no longer working? My speakers and mic work, and headphones register as a device. It was fine on 10.15.0. I use AppleALC and Lilu, injecting layout-id 27. Thanks!

*EDIT*
headphone sound magically came back...not sure what changed but it's working on 10.15.4.

Last edited:
The only issue I have with sound (or at all for that matter) is getting HDMI audio to work. Not a big deal so I've settled on doing without it for now.

EDIT: Disregard. I adjusted the device id in FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext to 0x0d0c, rebuilt my kext cache, rebooted and it's working.

Unrelated to this particular issue...
On first boot after initial install I didn't have working audio or wifi. I installed Lilufriend.kext and it resolved both issues, however I needed to adjust my platform-id to 0x0A2E0008 in SSDT-Config.aml. Screen brightness came back to normal and no other graphics issues afterwards.

Last edited:
@tcourchaine or @Aire,

Would you be willing to upload your Clover I have been attempting this off and on for years and havent been able to successfully complete this any assistance would be incredibly helpful to me.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 114
@tcourchaine or @Aire,

Would you be willing to upload your Clover I have been attempting this off and on for years and havent been able to successfully complete this any assistance would be incredibly helpful to me.

Late to the game on this one, but I'll do you one extra: my Clover AND Opencore configs. Note that some of the kexts are outdated, so download the latest versions. I'm currently trying to get Big Sur working, if anyone else is still on this machine and also attempting. I have everything working except graphics, which are not working with the Catalina settings. OS boots and everything, but no acceleration.

*EDIT*
Graphics don't work on Big Sur because enable-hdmi20 no longer works with Whatevergreen. Need to wait for an update or alternate solution.

Attachments

• XPS-9530 Config.zip
    15.8 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back