Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 8930 Mojave 10.14.6 (Updated to Catalina 10.15.7), RX580/UHD630

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downgraded to High Sierra. Installed Nvidia web driver and bought a BCM943602CS WIFI card on amazon.
So far I found:
  • The USB ports and card reader worked out of box. (Didn't test USB-C ports)
  • Fans are working, but CPU will overheat when processing video for a long time
I'll keep following your posts to "install natively supported Wifi and Bluetooth card for handoff and continuity".
Even though USB seems to work out of the box, you’ll still want to map them correctly. You may run into strange behaviors. There’re a lot of ghost USB that does not have a physical port. See rehabMan’s usbinjectall guide for details.

I haven’t tested it because I have anAMD card, but whatevergreen has a boot argument to turn off discreet graphics card. If you ever want to go to Catalina with UHD630 you can probably try that.

Even though USB seems to work out of the box, you’ll still want to map them correctly. You may run into strange behaviors. There’re a lot of ghost USB that does not have a physical port. See rehabMan’s usbinjectall guide for details.

I haven’t tested it because I have anAMD card, but whatevergreen has a boot argument to turn off discreet graphics card. If you ever want to go to Catalina with UHD630 you can probably try that.

Finally got (almost) everything up and working in 10.13.6.
I did the same trick with a USB wire to enable bluetooth.
Thank you so much for the guide and help!

Update 12/21/2019: Update to 10.15.2 was successful. Had to boot into windows half-way and replace the APFS.efi with 10.15.2 in the EFI partition.

EOF
hi dandelionclock - have you done any experiments with opencore at all - would there be any benefit porting to opencore from clover?

hi dandelionclock - have you done any experiments with opencore at all - would there be any benefit porting to opencore from clover?
I haven’t. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

I was able install Catalina on my xps8930 today thanks a lot to your post. Much appreciated. One quick question do you know how to set the macos ssd as a default boot option instead of pushing f12 Everytime?(I have two disk for two systems separately). Thank you so much again

Should be a bios settings for you to choose whichever disk your clover is installed

I was able install Catalina on my xps8930 today thanks a lot to your post. Much appreciated. One quick question do you know how to set the macos ssd as a default boot option instead of pushing f12 Everytime?(I have two disk for two systems separately). Thank you so much again

@dandelionclock
Could you please upload your EFI and L/E folder? I have updated to 10.15.6 from 10.14 and cannot get audio to work with the latest AppleALC, Lilu and Whatevergreen. Only the displayport and hdmi audio wok....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back