Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 8930 Mojave 10.14.6 (Updated to Catalina 10.15.7), RX580/UHD630

Status
Not open for further replies.
This a Dell 8930- 1050 Ti. I don't need WiFi or BT and I think I can get by with UHD630. Is it reasonable to install Mojave and go through the "ignore GPU" routine? Should I simply pull my NVIDIA 1050Ti out prior to install or leave it in and settle on High Sierra? I want to be Catalina ready but don't have a compatible IGPU at this time. My needs are few. What about just installing Linux instead? Maybe a Vanilla Install? What would you (anyone) do?

You can’t ignore the dedicated GPU on this system. You’ll have to yank the Nvidia card out because dell disables the IGPU output once it detects a dedicated GPU. I think everything else would be compatible with Mojave. I would think Catalina supports UHD630 too.

I don’t see how it can brick your computer.

Thanks dandelionclock.
I'm going in!

I updated the system to Catalina without much trouble. See my latest update in my post!

Has anyone managed to upgrade to 10.15.1 without being stuck at a black screen ?

At what point are you stuck?
I think it's just before it is supposed to show the login screen. The machine is up and I can ssh into it but no remote login/screen sharing. Usually the machine does not need WEG or Lilu (but I have tried with the latest of those as well). It has an RX 480 in it.

What version are you upgrading from? Do you have the SMBIOS wrong?

I think it's just before it is supposed to show the login screen. The machine is up and I can ssh into it but no remote login/screen sharing. Usually the machine does not need WEG or Lilu (but I have tried with the latest of those as well). It has an RX 480 in it.

What version are you upgrading from? Do you have the SMBIOS wrong?
10.15 was fine - define smbios you mean the model of the 'pretend' mac ? .. possibly. I think it's currently at 14,2

SMBIOS: iMac18,3 (Use iMac18,1 if you do not have a discrete graphic card)

10.15 was fine - define smbios you mean the model of the 'pretend' mac ? .. possibly. I think it's currently at 14,2

Also don't forget these in clover config. I remember getting black screen at some point during Mojave when I had these wrong.

To set up UHD 630
  1. Devices -> Properties (Bottom, next to Arbitrary) -> Devices (Bottom Left) -> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)
  2. Devices -> Properties -> Devices -> Properties -> Bottom Right ->
    1. AAPL,ig-platform-id; 07009B3E (00009B3E for headless. I haven't tested it. Dell Bios makes it headless regardless whenever a discrete graphics card is plugged in); Data
    2. framebuffer-fbmem; 00000000; Data
    3. framebuffer-unifiedmem; 00000080; Data
    4. framebuffer-patch-enable; 01000000; Data
    5. framebuffer-stolenmem; 00009003; Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back