Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 8930 Mojave 10.14.6 (Updated to Catalina 10.15.7), RX580/UHD630

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use USB speakers and HDMI audio so I didn't notice I lost audio until just now. I noticed AppleALC did not load. Fix is update Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC to the latest version and install them into the same folder. I have them all in EFI now and it works.

updated to catalina and lost audio
used your AppleALC.kext and it did not work :/

hi dandelionclock,
I'm following this guide but got stuck at the very beginning. After setting up the BIOS and selecting boot from USB drive, I landed in a page that requires me to hit enter on "Continue" before booting.
Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 9.51.21 PM.png

Because both keyboard and mouse are not working now, I cannot continue to even get started. I've tried the following:
1. copy USBInjectAll.kext to the USB drive's /EFI/Clover/kext/other folder.
2. disable USB3 ports (Rear panel USB ports) in BIOS
3. use different keyboards
None is working.
May I have your thoughts on what may be wrong?
Thanks.

hi dandelionclock,
I'm following this guide but got stuck at the very beginning. After setting up the BIOS and selecting boot from USB drive, I landed in a page that requires me to hit enter on "Continue" before booting.
View attachment 442028
Because both keyboard and mouse are not working now, I cannot continue to even get started. I've tried the following:
None is working.
Thanks.
I’ve never seen this screen. Can you show me a video of how you got to this screen? I do remember having to wipe the drive completely clean using a Linus boot drive, as detailed in my guide. Maybe it’s dell’s recovery system?

hi dandelionclock,
View attachment 442028
None is working.
Thanks.

I think I know now. Did you create your installation media as legacy mode? You need to use UEFI mode.

I think I know now. Did you create your installation media as legacy mode? You need to use UEFI mode.
Yes. If I use UEFI mode, the USB device won't show up in the boot menu. I've disabled security boot.

You have to use UEFI mode. Try plugging into a USB 2.0 drive. Try a different port. Try reinstalling Clover. Maybe install it manually.

Yes. If I use UEFI mode, the USB device won't show up in the boot menu. I've disabled security boot.
I know Unibeast does not support Catalina yet. This is from my other guide for a Laptop. Use the same step to create your Catalina boot disk. You may need to copy my config.plist into the EFI folder and use as a starting point.

Step 1: create bootable macOS installation USB drive
  1. Unibeast has not been updated to support Catalina yet, so we will be making it manually
  2. Format a 16+GB USB Flash drive with Disk Utilities and chose HFS+, rename it to USB
  3. Download Catalina from the App Store on a Mac
  4. Open Terminal, and type in the following command
  5. sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled -- /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app
  6. Download Clover, and be sure to install it onto the "Install macOS Catalina" Drive instead of your "Macintosh HD"

I know Unibeast does not support Catalina yet. This is from my other guide for a Laptop. Use the same step to create your Catalina boot disk. You may need to copy my config.plist into the EFI folder and use as a starting point.
I’m going to install Mojave first.
I deleted everything and retried every steps. And it finally worked in the UEFI mode. I’ve installed the OS. Graphics card and network are not working. I’ll fix them tomorrow.

I’m going to install Mojave first.
I deleted everything and retried every steps. And it finally worked in the UEFI mode. I’ve installed the OS. Graphics card and network are not working. I’ll fix them tomorrow.
Good luck. Your oem WiFi is not likely to work. If you have an Nvidia card it won’t work either don’t spend time on it

Good luck. Your oem WiFi is not likely to work. If you have an Nvidia card it won’t work either don’t spend time on it
I downgraded to High Sierra. Installed Nvidia web driver and bought a BCM943602CS WIFI card on amazon.
So far I found:
  • The USB ports and card reader worked out of box. (Didn't test USB-C ports)
  • Fans are working, but CPU will overheat when processing video for a long time
I'll keep following your posts to "install natively supported Wifi and Bluetooth card for handoff and continuity".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back