Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 8930 Big Sur 11.4 (upgraded from Catalina 10.15.7), RX580/UHD630, OpenCore

Hi Dandelionclock

Congratulations on getting things up and running with OC

I see that these are currently on sale at costco. Do you think you guide would work with one of these (with the necessary adjustments for newer processor)?

I bought the XPS 8940 and got it up and running with big sur /opencore 0.64 - everything seems to be working except the card reader and the audio. I swapped the NVIDIA 1060 to a MSI Radeon 560.

I can't find a codec specifically for the ALC3861 (which I believe is the same device that is on the XPS 8930) but I think I read somewhere that ALC899 is the actual codec to use for ALC8931. I have tried multiple audio layouts but all I can get for audio is HDMI output from the radeon card - MacOS does not seeming to be seeing the onboard audio device at all.

Do you have any tips for getting the computer audio rather that the HDMI grapics audio working. I seem to recall I had similar problems with my XPS8930 but it never bothered me because I use it with a focusrite audio interface

Hi Dandelionclock

Congratulations on getting things up and running with OC

I see that these are currently on sale at costco. Do you think you guide would work with one of these (with the necessary adjustments for newer processor)?

10th gen intel is probably pretty different from 8th gen. Spend some time on the Dortania guide:

Managed to adapt the USB-MAP.kext. The bluetooth IOgear dongle works to connect my magic mouse and keyboard, Handoff still doesn't work, i found this https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...ing-handoff-for-non-apple-bt4-devices/?page=3 where they suggest to patch the IObluetootfamily kext. But don't know how to do this in OC.
On another topic: did you encounter sleep/wake problems? Because when my XPS goes to sleep, I can't wake it without reboot.

No I don't have sleep wake problems. Check console for log

I bought the XPS 8940 and got it up and running with big sur /opencore 0.64 - everything seems to be working except the card reader and the audio. I swapped the NVIDIA 1060 to a MSI Radeon 560.

I can't find a codec specifically for the ALC3861 (which I believe is the same device that is on the XPS 8930) but I think I read somewhere that ALC899 is the actual codec to use for ALC8931. I have tried multiple audio layouts but all I can get for audio is HDMI output from the radeon card - MacOS does not seeming to be seeing the onboard audio device at all.

Do you have any tips for getting the computer audio rather that the HDMI grapics audio working. I seem to recall I had similar problems with my XPS8930 but it never bothered me because I use it with a focusrite audio interface
ALC8931 is a rebranded ALC899. AFAIK you'll just have to test out each legit layout-id until one works. You may also want to double check that AppleALC is loaded properly. See these two guides:

This is a bit old but still contains good information:

10th gen intel is probably pretty different from 8th gen. Spend some time on the Dortania guide:
yep...once i settled into the site it becomes quite apparent that it really isn't too complicated as long as you follow along carefully...i have actually got a couple of computers up and running using open core now...all on big sur...the first one a haswell dell optiplex 9030 AIO basically 'just worked', the 2nd one a kaby lake HP laptop took a bit more but also was flawless in the end...

so i decided to give the xps 8940 a try and it has been the most difficult...

most things seem to work ok except for the card reader (i'm not too bothered about that) and the on board audio (which is a pain)...i was getting a black screen with the internal graphics but have had no problems at all when i put a radeon 560 in there....the only other issue i have which has been bugging me is bluetooth - i took the killer NIC out and i put a broadcom card in there which is supposed to be working out of the box (i got the same card for the other two computers i mentioned and have not had a problem) but with in xps8940 with that particular card has wi fi working great but bluetooth just crashes the OS when it tries to connect to any devices, so i have disabled bluetooth....i am giving up on the audio as well and will probably get a cheap focusrite or behringer usb interface

your original guide inspired me to get the xps8930 which has (and continues to) serve me very well, so i thank you for that - i am sure that i could get the 8940 working a bit better (i mean i am sure i could get more get more things working) but at some point you realise how much time it is taking to troubleshoot piddly little things which ultimately don't really matter - on the whole i am pretty happy with 8940 and it makes a nice companion to my 8930

ALC8931 is a rebranded ALC899. AFAIK you'll just have to test out each legit layout-id until one works. You may also want to double check that AppleALC is loaded properly. See these two guides:

This is a bit old but still contains good information:
thank you for this - i have tried and tried to get this working using these guides (and others) and all i get is the HDMI audio from the graphics card...i think i am just going consider the lack of on board audio as a 'hardware limitation' as is mentioned in the guide - maybe i will come back to it to figure it out when i have more time and energy :)

yep...once i settled into the site it becomes quite apparent that it really isn't too complicated as long as you follow along carefully...i have actually got a couple of computers up and running using open core now...all on big sur...the first one a haswell dell optiplex 9030 AIO basically 'just worked', the 2nd one a kaby lake HP laptop took a bit more but also was flawless in the end...

so i decided to give the xps 8940 a try and it has been the most difficult...

most things seem to work ok except for the card reader (i'm not too bothered about that) and the on board audio (which is a pain)...i was getting a black screen with the internal graphics but have had no problems at all when i put a radeon 560 in there....the only other issue i have which has been bugging me is bluetooth - i took the killer NIC out and i put a broadcom card in there which is supposed to be working out of the box (i got the same card for the other two computers i mentioned and have not had a problem) but with in xps8940 with that particular card has wi fi working great but bluetooth just crashes the OS when it tries to connect to any devices, so i have disabled bluetooth....i am giving up on the audio as well and will probably get a cheap focusrite or behringer usb interface

your original guide inspired me to get the xps8930 which has (and continues to) serve me very well, so i thank you for that - i am sure that i could get the 8940 working a bit better (i mean i am sure i could get more get more things working) but at some point you realise how much time it is taking to troubleshoot piddly little things which ultimately don't really matter - on the whole i am pretty happy with 8940 and it makes a nice companion to my 8930
At some point of my build process I concluded that the Dell bios disable the on board display out when a dedicated GPU is installed. I have doubts but I have never gone back to double check myself. The only problem this would cause is for someone who have an nvidia card and wants to keep it installed for when they use windows, and disable it with the wegnoegpu flag when they boot macOS. If you are really into it you can probably dig into the DSDT and patch it.

have you tried booting into windows and test your Bluetooth? Also don’t forget the m.w Bluetooth required a USB port. Did you map your USB ports and turn off the USB port limit patch?

Audio wise the two links were the only things I could think of. You could consider using voodooHDA but sound quality is abysmal. Better than no sound though.

Opencore has a far better guide than clover IMO. Opencore’s guide are all in one place step by step, while clover’s is all over the internet, scattered over many troubleshooting posts. The main reason I wrote down the guide was to help myself reinstall in the future if there were trouble with my system. I’m glad it helped you with your install.

have you tried booting into windows and test your Bluetooth? Also do
interestingly, i discovered this morning that dell power sensor kext was causing the problem with the bluetooth kernel panics - i have removed it and all of the other unnecessary SMC kexts and it bluetooth seems to be working fine now

Hi,

Which version of OC are you guys running? On my machine under OC 0.6.3 everything is fine. When i update to 0C 0.6.5 I get 'OC: failed to load configuration' when I update my kexts (AppleALC, AtherosE2200Ethernet, Lilu, VirtualSMC and WhateverGreen) I can get it to the Apple logo but the progress bar freezes. When I reboot again, I get 'OC: failed to load configuration' again. Below is my EFI folder. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Right before Boot I also get these messages:
'OCS: No schema for Realpath at 1 index, context <Tools>'​
'OCS: No schema for TextMode at 3 index, context <Tools>'​

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.7 MB · Views: 148
Hi,

Which version of OC are you guys running? On my machine under OC 0.6.3 everything is fine. When i update to 0C 0.6.5 I get 'OC: failed to load configuration' when I update my kexts (AppleALC, AtherosE2200Ethernet, Lilu, VirtualSMC and WhateverGreen) I can get it to the Apple logo but the progress bar freezes. When I reboot again, I get 'OC: failed to load configuration' again. Below is my EFI folder. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Right before Boot I also get these messages:
'OCS: No schema for Realpath at 1 index, context <Tools>'​
'OCS: No schema for TextMode at 3 index, context <Tools>'​
you need to compare your config.plist with the sample.plist that comes with opencore to make any changes/amendments

also use ocvalidate tool on your edited config.plist to make sure it is also correct

Back