Contribute
Register

Guide: Dell XPS 8500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where were you a month ago :). Thanks for the tip in case I need it for 10.9.2

Had the same issues (unable to reboot after installing 10.9.2 update with the combo update).

nloeff fix worked great! (thanks!)

To sum up what I did:

Boot into the Unibeast installer (need to specify -x flag, or otherwise impossible to boot from USB drive!!!)
Renamed /Volumes/<YOUR VOLUME NAME>/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to a backup name using the Terminal in the installer as indicated by nloeff above.

Tried to boot to the 10.9.2 partition with flags
-x -v GraphicsEnabler=no (boot succeeded)

Installed Multibeast 6.2.1 from there with options:
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > ALC887/888b Current v100302
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > HDAEnabler
Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.9.0 TRIM Patch
Drivers > System > AppleACPIPlatform Rollback > 10.8.1 Rollback
Drivers > System > Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement > OS X 10.9.0
Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset

Also reinstalled boot loader Chimera v2.2.1

Now the weird thing is that I was only able to boot if I specified boot options GraphicsEnabler=no UseKernelCache=no -v

Therefore, I ended up modifying
/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string> -v</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

which enforces UseKernelCache=no. That seems to solve my issues (can boot fine automatically with no manually specified options) although it takes slightly longer as it needs to rebuild the cache every time.

It looks like I get a kernel panic if I don't specify UseKernelCache=no

So far it seems to work fine (sound included).
Hope this helps!

from the terminal i can't seem to delete/rename the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext it says that its a read only system file?

i tried chmod but that didnt work either

anyone have any tips?

Is this using the terminal when booting from the unibeast OSX installation drive?

I didn't have that problem!

from the terminal i can't seem to delete/rename the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext it says that its a read only system file?

i tried chmod but that didnt work either

anyone have any tips?

If you see "read only", chance is you did not change dir (cd) to the mounting /Volumes/HARD_DRIVE of the extension. The USB has the same dir but it's read only and not allow you to delete.

mdd

Need some help here. I have an XPS 8500 and everything works fine (I added bluetooth and wifi, not using the built-in). Unfortunately, most times after I wake up the system from sleep, sound does not work (it works fine before sleep). It seems this is a known OS X issue (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5541299?tstart=0), and the permanent solution seems to be to reset SMC and PRAM.

Running

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo killall coreaudiod

after each wake up seems to do the trick, but it's not very elegant. Does anyone experience the same problem? Any easy fix?

Did anyone try to install 10.9.3?

Any issues?
Updating always gets me nervous...

10.9.3 installed without issues for me, and it fixed the audio issue I was having. Still, I would back up everything before installing the update.

10.9.3 installed without issues for me, and it fixed the audio issue I was having. Still, I would back up everything before installing the update.

I updated to 10.9.3 on 8500 i7 and got kernel panic after fakesmc line. I had to restore. I'm not sure if I must do something before taking this 10.9.3 update.

mddosx

Did you update from 10.9.2? What multibeast options did you install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back