Contribute
Register

Guide: Dell XPS 8500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did.
But my 8500 halts on this screen after 10.8.3 update:
IMG_20130319_141054.jpg

It can boot with -x, so I try to delete the following kexts installed by Multibeast:
RealtekRTL81xx.kext
HDAEnabler1.kext
But it doesn't work by removing them. At last, I delete FakeSMC.kext, then my 8500 cannot boot with -x.

I have to reinstall 10.8.0 and update to 10.8.2.

Does any one have ideas, comments, suggestions? Thanks a lot!

BTW, my 8500 has an Nvidia GT640 Graphic card.

my xps 8500
with ati 7570

you said

( ATI Radeon 7770 (doesn't work, but I can leave it in my system and not worry about it. I keep it in my system to boot into Windows for games) )

but i cant run Intel HD Graphics 4000 without remove the graphics card
how you can leave your ati 7770 and run Intel HD Graphics 4000
i want my ati 7570 for windows gaming but the Intel HD Graphics 4000 does not working without remove the ati 7570
HELP

Sorry for my bad English

The important thing to note in this configuration (when I used to run it) is that when you boot the machine, you must always boot with the HDMI interface. Don't try to boot while the ATI card is attached to a monitor. It won't work. I had an HDMI switch that let me switch between my ATI card and the onboard HDMI. I would let WIndows boot all the way up via HDMI and then hot-switch to the ATI card. On the Mac side, it would only boot with the HDMI connected. Unfortunately, chameleon/chimera requires you to also boot using HDMI. So, it's best to always boot with HDMI and switch once in Windows.

I had switched months back to a Geforce 660ti and that works well for me. I heard that 10.8.3 supports these ATI cards now too - so, you could try that.

I did.
But my 8500 halts on this screen after 10.8.3 update:
View attachment 50395

It can boot with -x, so I try to delete the following kexts installed by Multibeast:
RealtekRTL81xx.kext
HDAEnabler1.kext
But it doesn't work by removing them. At last, I delete FakeSMC.kext, then my 8500 cannot boot with -x.

I have to reinstall 10.8.0 and update to 10.8.2.

Does any one have ideas, comments, suggestions? Thanks a lot!

BTW, my 8500 has an Nvidia GT640 Graphic card.

You should re-install the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and the AppleACPIPlatform rollback with multibeast to fix the issue. The upgrade causes these files to be replaced with vanilla versions.

Hi All

I'm having issues with my XPS8500 too.
I'm trying to install 10.8.3 from scratch. I managed to install Mountain Lion in an hard drive (had to boot with -x and GraphicsEnabler=no from the USB installer).
Then I installed MultiBeast with EasyBeast and the network driver mentioned in the beginning of this thread.

The problem is that I'm only being able to boot in safe mode. If I boot with GraphicsEnabler=no -v I get to the grey screen (no apple logo or anything whatsoever) and my computer hangs there.

I've tried disabling Intel Virtualization Technology in the BIOS, but it doesn't help.

My graphics card is a nvidia GT640 (and it's recognized as such when I boot in safe mode).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

You should re-install the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and the AppleACPIPlatform rollback with multibeast to fix the issue. The upgrade causes these files to be replaced with vanilla versions.

Hi Leonowski, Thanks a lot! It fixes my problem.

So apparently my XPS 8500 is using a Dell 0YJPT1 motherboard (I didn't even know Dell manufactured its own motherboards...)

Do I need a custom DSDT for this board? I haven't found any in the tonymacx86 DSDT list...

Is anyone else using this board?

Has anybody installed 10.8.3 from scratch?

Thanks!

So I finally solved my issues.

The problem was that MultiBeast includes and old version of Chimera, that apparently is not compatible with Mac OSX 10.8.3.
I booted into my hackintosh using the GraphicsEnabler=no and the safe mode flag -x and then installed the new version of Chimera that I downloaded from the downloads page.

I also run multibeast again and installed some more things:
- AppleACPIPlatformRollback 10.8.1
- AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement
- Boot Options: GraphicsEnabler=no
- ACL v100302 Current sound drivers

I also found out that the nVidia GT640 has to run with GraphicsEnabler=no and that even then it will be used properly to its full extent.

It looks like everything is working great now!!
Hope this helps to anybody in the same situation.

Hi, I'm trying to install Snow Leopard on the XPS8500, not Mountain Lion.
From what I understand so far, because it is SL I'm trying to install, I should use iBoot rather than Unibeast, plug my monitor into the onboard GPU output and use GraphicsEnabler=no -v in iBoot.
Is anything different from the tutorial you posted because it is SL? I'm really struggling here. All I ever get is this black screen showing me nothing, and my CD drive isnt spinning at all.
I know this is ML forum, but I couldnt find a complete tutorial of SL installation. Really appreciate it if you could tell me how.

Thanks

Would you mind posting the exact sequence you used, and the multi beast options that you used? A screen grab of it would be great.

thx

I havent even used Multibeast yet. Sorry, Im a complete noob here. I thought that was for installing drivers and whatnots after installing the Mac OS itself...?
Basically, what I've done is
1. Boot from iBoot disk
2. When the boot menu appears (with the tonymacx86 logo), I take out the iBoot CD and put Mac SL CD in, hit F5
3. The Mac SL disk appears, select it, type in GraphicsEnabler=no -v, and hit enter.
and for a while the computer is working hard (CD reader moving up and down and so forth), but after some time, it comes to a complete halt (not that everything stops working. Fans and stuff are still running as if you've left your computer on desktop for hours), and it goes nowhere. Just black screen.
I just thought of it, right now, but is it because I'm not using HDMI cable to connect the display to the onboard graphics? I havent got one, so Ive always used the VGA cable.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back