Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560 - High Sierra 10.13.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @RehabMan ! I have my dell xps 9560 fully working following this guide and your advices in your guides, like always :)
Everything seems to work OK, but I have a question. The usb-c port works, but with usb2.0 speed. It is weird, because apple info shows that it uses channel 3.1 but with 480mbs of speed. Ive made test with an external SSD in all USB ports, and it normal USB ports the speed reach to 420mbs read and write, and in the usb-c connected (with a usb-c to normal usb converter) it reaches just 40mbs. And one more thinkg, when I plug something to usb-c port, an usb controller appears in my bar. I upload you all debug files and 2 screenshots, maybe you can help me. Maybe, the usb-c port just works as a usb2.0, but I dont think so, no sense.

USB sticks are not a good device to test USB3 speeds (they are notoriously slow).
Use a USB3 SSD for testing.

USB sticks are not a good device to test USB3 speeds (they are notoriously slow).
Use a USB3 SSD for testing.
I tested it sith my external SSD in USB, I told you so.
If I connect it to normal usb, it reaches 420 mbs speed.
If I connect it to usb-c, it reaches 40mbs speed (10x slower).

Correct.

You would need to provide details on "not been working".
My sleep would work with MacBookPro14,3, it would turn off the computer after about 5-10 seconds. I haven't been able to get sleep working now with MacBookPro14,1 when either sleeping with lid or using Apple Logo > Sleep, the screen goes black but still lit and remains on. Nothing is plugged into the computer and I wait for minutes but still remains on.

My sleep would work with MacBookPro14,3, it would turn off the computer after about 5-10 seconds. I haven't been able to get sleep working now with MacBookPro14,1 when either sleeping with lid or using Apple Logo > Sleep, the screen goes black but still lit and remains on. Nothing is plugged into the computer and I wait for minutes but still remains on.
Really? Thank you for information. Im interesed in that, because I use too 14.1 :)

Guys, how is the situation with dual monitor setup? Is possible to use two external displays on XPS through the HDMI port and thunderbolt->miniDP or similar?
I read that Thunderbolt docks should work when hackintoshed like TB16, but is it working with dual monitors with TB16/some another dock? It's crucial to me since I'm using two monitors with a laptop device.

@RehabMan Ok! I think the problem with usb-c was my fault. I was testing my external SSD with a usb to usb-c adapter to be able to plug it, but that converter is usb 2.0 to usb-c, so, because of this the speed is slow. I tried too connecting iphone x with lightning-usbc official cable but its speed is too 480mb. I will try with a usb-c default device with high speed to test usb-c speed in xps :)
Btw, I've tested what @xCatbodi and it's true. If I boot with macbookpro 14.1 the sleep doesnt work. But if I boot with macbookpro 14.3, then it works perfectly. This is the situation with different smbios config:
  • macbookpro14.1: boot ok, screen login ok and fast login, but no sleep. Only screen sleeps, not the whole system (fans keep working for example).
  • macbookpro14.3: screen login is buggy and password hint appears after 5-6 seconds, so, it's laggy. Sleep works perfect: screen, fans, system, all.
How can we fix sleep with 14.1 smbios? I don't know where is the problem!

I've updated lilux.kext, intelgraphicsfixup.kext and nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext to latest version and the apple logo keeps glitchy at boot. Less glitchy than yesterday, but still glitchy. I'm using too the patch to avoid this, but nothing.

Attachments

• debug_25353.zip
    973.3 KB · Views: 84
Guys, how is the situation with dual monitor setup? Is possible to use two external displays on XPS through the HDMI port and thunderbolt->miniDP or similar?
I read that Thunderbolt docks should work when hackintoshed like TB16, but is it working with dual monitors with TB16/some another dock? It's crucial to me since I'm using two monitors with a laptop device.
I can't speak for the TB16 dock but I've been using dual monitors with mine. HDMI for one and USB-C to HDMI for the other. No problems.

@RehabMan Ok! I think the problem with usb-c was my fault. I was testing my external SSD with a usb to usb-c adapter to be able to plug it, but that converter is usb 2.0 to usb-c, so, because of this the speed is slow. I tried too connecting iphone x with lightning-usbc official cable but its speed is too 480mb. I will try with a usb-c default device with high speed to test usb-c speed in xps :)
Btw, I've tested what @xCatbodi and it's true. If I boot with macbookpro 14.1 the sleep doesnt work. But if I boot with macbookpro 14.3, then it works perfectly. This is the situation with different smbios config:
  • macbookpro14.1: boot ok, screen login ok and fast login, but no sleep. Only screen sleeps, not the whole system (fans keep working for example).
  • macbookpro14.3: screen login is buggy and password hint appears after 5-6 seconds, so, it's laggy. Sleep works perfect: screen, fans, system, all.
How can we fix sleep with 14.1 smbios? I don't know where is the problem!

I've updated lilux.kext, intelgraphicsfixup.kext and nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext to latest version and the apple logo keeps glitchy at boot. Less glitchy than yesterday, but still glitchy. I'm using too the patch to avoid this, but nothing.
Thank you for confirming the issue so I knew it wasn't just me! Hopefully @RM can guide us since MacbookPro14,1 operates so much smoother than 14,3.

@RehabMan Do you have any suggestions for the sleep issues? Sorry to bother but I haven't been able to really use my laptop as a laptop, shutting down and turning on isn't really convenient at all when I have to close the lid. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back