Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560 - High Sierra 10.13.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
could you elaborate?
To make sure everything works perfect afterwards I physically remove the hard disk that is not needed (the Windows one when installing MacOS and vice versa when installing Windows). Clover recognises the installations at next boot and all is good. It should be very simple. If not, you're doing something wrong in the steps before.

Installing two OS's on one SSD should basically also work but from my experience with Linux and Windows I tend to avoid that, if possible. It's almost always possible to have a second hard disk or SSD. At least I don't buy any laptop that does not offer that.

Hi guys, i've got this setup perfectly running! Want to share with you some problems that i found.

Version: 10.13.4

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext required for HDMI output (audio working), never tried but i think you don't have to use nv_disable=1 at boot, it's not required.

I've find and managed to fix (workaround) a VoodooPS2Controller.kext bug, in my system was the cause of the cursor disappearing and freezing for a few seconds when writing something on the keyboard. Downgrade to previous version of the RehabMan driver fixed the problem. ( https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-voodoo-ps2-controller/downloads/RehabMan-Voodoo-2017-1130.zip ) Now it's fine, Trackpad panel in the System Prefs is restored and the freeze problem not more present, only keep that the pointer disappear when you writed something, but respond well without any delay.
Other problem related to the pointer/cursor in some editors like Sublime Text 3 pointer is not shown (maybe an High Sierra bug according to that discussion https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/macbook-pro-4k-display-mouse-cursor-disappears/35977 )
Workaround is to change a little bit the dimension of the pointer (System Prefs, Accessibility, Display)
EDIT: With that version of VoodooPS2Controller seems that gestures are 0% working, before i was able to use three fingers to top and three fingers to right/left for changing desktop space.
EDIT2: I've found another bug, Command+Shift+4 (shortcut for portion screenshots) doesn't show the cursor.... even i would to fix the disappear problem. any idea?? i cant edit kexts

AppleALC.kext was the cause of system freeze/hang, no input was detected, even the lid closed wasn't able to shuts himself. Simply downloaded latest version of vit9696 ( https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC ), deleted previous, re-installed and rebuilder cache of S/L/E. Freeze was coming every 1-2 hours, especially when playing videos from web-players or using Ableton Live. Before to switch it with the latest version (maybe it already was the latest) i tried to delete it and use the computer for a few hours without audio kexts, and system won't freeze again. Now it's fine.

EDIT3: Forgot about 4k resolution of the Display, in Sierra 10.12.6 i wasn't ablet to get the display recognized, now in About this mac, System report i can see that system recognize "15,6-inch (3840 x 2160) and "4k Internal Display 2060p" or something else, so with SwitchResX i'm able to set resolution till 3840x2160 in HiDPI without any quality loss or throttle by iGPU, even if in the System Prefs, Display panel i'm only ablet to get a maximum of 1920x1080.

And i have a question, maybe not too much related with the topic but yes, it could be helpfull for some users like me that want to Dual-Boot (or even triple) with other operating systems like Windos 10.
I've created during the fresh install a MS-DOS partition that i've deleted and re-created with Windows 10 installer, all good except that it installed the Windows Boot Manager on the EFI partition. Now if i press F12 clover partition is not even listed and only Windows Boot Manager appears. Following this guide https://github.com/hanxuwu/XPS15-9560-Triple-Boot he tell about an option to delete the entry inside the F12 menu... but i can't find it. So i thought that deleting it manually from the EFI should obbligate the bios to load the CLOVER folder, but not. Now i can't boot any systems, except by the CLOVER USB that i made previously for the MacOS installation. My last solution if i can't fix it should be format EFI partition and copy again the files inside. Any idea?

Solved: i've installed BOOTICE 1.3.3 on Windows and created/reordered UEFI boot entries.

For internet i've opted to the DW1560 that permits you to don't put the third antenna, i've changed it in 5 minutes and used the FakeCPIID_Broadcom_Wifi.kext attached (not easy to find so here it is)

EDIT4: I've noticed that during fresh install, if i create first partition in HFS+ then it switch automatically to APFS, at first impression i was disappointed about that but then i've tested that on APFS my SSD (hynyx 512gb) respond a lot better and my boot time is about 10-14 secs, after clover, obviously.

EDIT5: Need to fix bluetooth kext, can't connecet external mouse.

Attachments

• FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
    0 bytes · Views: 99
Last edited:
For internet i've opted to the DW1560 that permits you to don't put the third antenna, i've changed it in 5 minutes and used the FakeCPIID_Broadcom_Wifi.kext attached (not easy to find so here it is)

FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext is very easy to find... it is on my github site (see link in my signature).

FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext is very easy to find... it is on my github site (see link in my signature).
eheh maybe i mssed it :)
I've find and managed to fix (workaround) a VoodooPS2Controller.kext bug, in my system was the cause of the cursor disappearing and freezing for a few seconds when writing something on the keyboard. Downgrade to previous version of the RehabMan driver fixed the problem. ( https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-voodoo-ps2-controller/downloads/RehabMan-Voodoo-2017-1130.zip ) Now it's fine, Trackpad panel in the System Prefs is restored and the freeze problem not more present, only keep that the pointer disappear when you writed something, but respond well without any delay.
Other problem related to the pointer/cursor in some editors like Sublime Text 3 pointer is not shown (maybe an High Sierra bug according to that discussion https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/macbook-pro-4k-display-mouse-cursor-disappears/35977 )
Workaround is to change a little bit the dimension of the pointer (System Prefs, Accessibility, Display)
EDIT: With that version of VoodooPS2Controller seems that gestures are 0% working, before i was able to use three fingers to top and three fingers to right/left for changing desktop space.
EDIT2: I've found another bug, Command+Shift+4 (shortcut for portion screenshots) doesn't show the cursor.... even i would to fix the disappear problem. any idea?? i cant edit kexts
Any idea about that?

Really really thanks for your help and you time spent on the community, to all!

You probably created your Windows USB installer incorrectly.
Make sure you use the Microsoft tool for creating the USB (not Rufus).
Or you can create a FAT32 USB, copy ISO image to it (that's how simple UEFI Windows installer is).

Incorrectly created USB was indeed the issue. Got Windows 10 installed on a second partition on the same drive successfully. Thanks rehab

Someone else is experiencing an high power consumption? My MacOs High Sierra 10.13.4 it's eating up the full battery in a couple of hours, rather then approximately 7-8 in Windows setup. There is a method to check why?

And i can't get bluetooth working (DW1560), i've also tried to remove all the ticks inside Preferences > Bluetooth > Advanced but exactly, when i try to pair a device, it's still fall in "Connecting, Disconnecting loop".

Thanks in advance!

Someone else is experiencing an high power consumption? My MacOs High Sierra 10.13.4 it's eating up the full battery in a couple of hours, rather then approximately 7-8 in Windows setup. There is a method to check why?

And i can't get bluetooth working (DW1560), i've also tried to remove all the ticks inside Preferences > Bluetooth > Advanced but exactly, when i try to pair a device, it's still fall in "Connecting, Disconnecting loop".

Thanks in advance!

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Ok, perfect i've attached the gen_debug zip and the EFI/CLOVER folder.

My remaining problems are:
  • High power consumption
  • Bluetooth "Connected, Not Connected loop"
  • Mouse cursor/pointer disappearing when something's typed in the keyboard, with latest version of VoodooPS2Controller after typing pointer hangs for about 1 sec, but gestures are fully working. With the latest 2017 version it only disappears, but there's no hangs, but no gestures instead!
  • Can't boot into Recovery from Clover, it stops at AppleLMUController timeout error
    EDIT: I tried to boot into Recovery just for disabling SIP with "csrutil disbable" in order to be able to delete Apple Apps like (iBooks, Chess, QuickTime, iMessage, FaceTime, etc.), but i've seen that i'm able to delete them without do that (as i can't boot into Recovery partition), so... maybe SIP is not enabled?
And a freeze, maybe related to the AppleALC.kext, according due the fact that disabling it freeze won't come, maybe... and some user experiencing that as same but rly don't know. Last time happened when uTorrent was downloading something.
Aniway when freeze comes, rebooting and checking the last Console.app output in var/system.log is:
May 15 11:27:02 Stefanos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

Attachments

• debug_23665.zip
    278.9 KB · Views: 65
  • CLOVER.zip
    10.5 MB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 20.46.40.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 20.46.40.png
    745.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Stefano’s MacBook Pro.zip
    692.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Ok, perfect i've attached the gen_debug zip and the EFI/CLOVER folder.

My remaining problems are:
  • High power consumption
  • Bluetooth "Connected, Not Connected loop"
  • Mouse cursor/pointer disappearing when something's typed in the keyboard, with latest version of VoodooPS2Controller after typing pointer hangs for about 1 sec, but gestures are fully working. With the latest 2017 version it only disappears, but there's no hangs, but no gestures instead!
  • Can't boot into Recovery from Clover, it stops at AppleLMUController timeout error
    EDIT: I tried to boot into Recovery just for disabling SIP with "csrutil disbable" in order to be able to delete Apple Apps like (iBooks, Chess, QuickTime, iMessage, FaceTime, etc.), but i've seen that i'm able to delete them without do that (as i can't boot into Recovery partition), so... maybe SIP is not enabled?
And a freeze, maybe related to the AppleALC.kext, according due the fact that disabling it freeze won't come, maybe... and some user experiencing that as same but rly don't know. Last time happened when uTorrent was downloading something.
Aniway when freeze comes, rebooting and checking the last Console.app output in var/system.log is:
May 15 11:27:02 Stefanos-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

No ioreg in those PR files. Please read FAQ, "problem reporting" carefully.

No ioreg in those PR files. Please read FAQ, "problem reporting" carefully.

I've edited and uploaded missing files to my previous post. Hope to did it well. I've also included a screenshot of the kexts commands.

Thank you sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back