Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560 - High Sierra 10.13.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
High power consumption

May be due to NVMe (no NVMe PM with non-Apple NVMe currently).
You might consider replacing with SATA M.2.

May be also excessive CPU use. Check in Activity Monitor (all processes). It is relatively common with AppleALC...

Bluetooth "Connected, Not Connected loop"

Not sure what you're referring to. Antenna issue?

Mouse cursor/pointer disappearing when something's typed in the keyboard,

Expected... as per Apple design.

Can't boot into Recovery from Clover, it stops at AppleLMUController timeout error

You're missing various "essential" kexts in Clover/kexts/Other.
For, example, FakeSMC.kext always considered "essential", and it is missing from kexts/Other.

No expectation you can boot macOS without FakeSMC.kext.

May be due to NVMe (no NVMe PM with non-Apple NVMe currently).
You might consider replacing with SATA M.2.

May be also excessive CPU use. Check in Activity Monitor (all processes). It is relatively common with AppleALC...

Ok, so replacing an SSD with an Apple stock (like Samsung) may solve the problem? And i've checked on the Activity Monitor... all appears to be ok. In a german forum i've read that:
The fans jump faster in macOS and run longer than in Windows. The cause is the standard clock on the MacBook Pro of 1.3 GHz. You can change that with the script "reqVectorsEdit.sh" by PikerAlpha. (A thank you goes back to @ hitman20 )
Easy to do in the terminal with chmod + x executable and run, then the CPU only runs at standstill with 800 MHz and the fans stay off or run very quietly.
After a long period of testing, I found that the fans are still more diligent than Windows, but it has definitely gotten better with the script.

How can i check about AppleALC? And do you know a compatible SSD with both High Sierra and 9560?

Not sure what you're referring to. Antenna issue?

I mean that in Bluetooth preference panel i can find devices (like other computers, mac, or mouse, keyboards) but i can't pair them, when i click the button "Connect" to the left appears a loop of Connected, then Disconnected, Connected, Disconnected until the device go in timeout and disappears from the found list. Aniway the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz WiFi is working properly. I'm on DW1560 with last BrcmPatchRAM2 and FacePCIID kexts.

You're missing various "essential" kexts in Clover/kexts/Other.
For, example, FakeSMC.kext always considered "essential", and it is missing from kexts/Other.

No expectation you can boot macOS without FakeSMC.kext.

Ok understood, that's cause i've only left 2 kexts inside clover and the rest inside S/L/E, what you suggest about that? Make a double copy? Or leave them from SLE and put back inside Clover?

Thanks! :)

How can i check about AppleALC? And do you know a compatible SSD with both High Sierra and 9560?

If it was AppleALC related, you'd see kernel_task using an inappropriate amount of CPU (100%...meaning it is locked up using an entire core).

I mean that in Bluetooth preference panel i can find devices (like other computers, mac, or mouse, keyboards) but i can't pair them, when i click the button "Connect" to the left appears a loop of Connected, then Disconnected, Connected, Disconnected until the device go in timeout and disappears from the found list.

Antenna problem?
Did you test the BT hardware in Windows?

Ok understood, that's cause i've only left 2 kexts inside clover and the rest inside S/L/E, what you suggest about that? Make a double copy? Or leave them from SLE and put back inside Clover?

You need to read post #2 of the guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

If it was AppleALC related, you'd see kernel_task using an inappropriate amount of CPU (100%...meaning it is locked up using an entire core).

No activities eating high amount of CPU. Aniway i'll look for another SSD that is M2 instead of NVMe, may you suggest something?

Antenna problem?
Did you test the BT hardware in Windows?

Yes it works in Windows but i've just fixed the problem. Was caused by BcrmPatchRAM2.kext and BcrmFirmwareRepo.kext contained in Clover instead of SLE. Bluetooth working!
I've installed all kexts with Kext Wizard inside SLE. Changed config.plist/System Parameters/Inject Kexts="Yes" to "Detect". I've added to my Clover essential kexts that were missing. I think now Clover kexts are injected only when booted Recovery partition (as it doesn't have FakeSMC.kext). The result is that i can boot Recovery too :)

That solved a lot of stuff in my system! Thx.

My last question is... about pointer/cursor... when i've fresh installed i couldn't see the Trackpad panel, but i was able to use native gestures. How can i restore previous situation without have a clean install again?

Hey bro, do you have a btc/eth address for donations?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 21.17.23.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 21.17.23.png
    367.7 KB · Views: 78
No activities eating high amount of CPU. Aniway i'll look for another SSD that is M2 instead of NVMe, may you suggest something?

There are multiple interfaces that use M.2... NVMe is one of them. Another is SATA, another is PCIe/AHCI.
I have some Samsung M.2 SATA that work ok (such as 850 EVO).

Yes it works in Windows but i've just fixed the problem. Was caused by BcrmPatchRAM2.kext and BcrmFirmwareRepo.kext contained in Clover instead of SLE. Bluetooth working! I've installed all kexts with Kext Wizard inside SLE.

Actually, on 10.11 and later, kexts should be in /L/E.

Changed config.plist/System Parameters/Inject Kexts="Yes" to "Detect". I've added to my Clover essential kexts that were missing. I think now Clover kexts are injected only when booted Recovery partition (as it doesn't have FakeSMC.kext). The result is that i can boot Recovery too :)

Except for /L/E vs. /S/L/E, that is the correct way...

My last question is... about pointer/cursor... when i've fresh installed i couldn't see the Trackpad panel, but i was able to use native gestures. How can i restore previous situation without have a clean install again?

No idea what you mean by "native gestures"... Currently, all trackpad kexts simulate keys/mouse/etc for gestures.

Hey bro, do you have a btc/eth address for donations?

You can drop a thank you at the email published on my github account.

There are multiple interfaces that use M.2... NVMe is one of them. Another is SATA, another is PCIe/AHCI.
I have some Samsung M.2 SATA that work ok (such as 850 EVO).

I think there is no enough phisic space in my 9560 to put Samsung 850 EVO ( https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00P73B1E4/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21 ), i'm actually using an NVMe Hynix, maybe this Smasung 960 EVO may be better cause can fit? But it's NVMe PCI as same of Hynix, don't know ( https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01M20VBU7/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21 )

EDIT: Switching from MacbookPro14,3 (15-inch, intel i7, touchbar) to MacbookPro14,1 (13-inch, intel i5) seems to work a lot better, more responsive, especially when typing root password. Aniway the battery consume seems to remain high.

Actually, on 10.11 and later, kexts should be in /L/E.

Ouch, maybe i missunderstood which kexts need to be placed in /L/E and which ones in /S/L/E

Except for /L/E vs. /S/L/E, that is the correct way...

Same...

No idea what you mean by "native gestures"... Currently, all trackpad kexts simulate keys/mouse/etc for gestures.

I mean that before i was able to use native gestures like "three fingers up, left, right" to watch spaces and switch between them. Now if i use three fingers up for example on Desktop (Finder), it navigates inside "Go" top menu, if i use it inside a browser (Firefox) he goes back to previous surfed page. I think i need a remap of shortcurts and gestures.

You can drop a thank you at the email published on my github account.

Man, you won't accept any rewards for that work? Just a thank you? I'm glad to give u something, your knowledge is precious for the community and for me in this case. Cya!

Last edited:
I think there is no enough phisic space in my 9560 to put Samsung 850 EVO ( https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00P73B1E4/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21 ), i'm actually using an NVMe Hynix, maybe this Smasung 960 EVO may be better cause can fit? But it's NVMe PCI as same of Hynix, don't know ( https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01M20VBU7/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21 )

The Samsung EVO 850 comes in 2.5" form factor (not what you want) and M.2 2280 (what you want).
Please do your research.

EDIT: Switching from MacbookPro14,3 (15-inch, intel i7, touchbar) to MacbookPro14,1 (13-inch, intel i5) seems to work a lot better, more responsive, especially when typing root password. Aniway the battery consume seems to remain high.

Yeah, MacBookPro14,x where 'x' is anything but '1' is usually a mistake.

Ouch, maybe i missunderstood which kexts need to be placed in /L/E and which ones in /S/L/E

All hack kexts generally go to /L/E.
Only case for /S/L/E is prior to 10.11, and in cases where you're trying to replace an Apple provided kext.

I mean that before i was able to use native gestures like "three fingers up, left, right" to watch spaces and switch between them. Now if i use three fingers up for example on Desktop (Finder), it navigates inside "Go" top menu, if i use it inside a browser (Firefox) he goes back to previous surfed page. I think i need a remap of shortcurts and gestures.

SysPrefs->Keyboard->Shortcuts.

Man, you won't accept any rewards for that work? Just a thank you? I'm glad to give u something, your knowledge is precious for the community and for me in this case. Cya!

Individual donates not allowed per tmx rules: https://www.tonymacx86.com/rules/

Yeah, MacBookPro14,x where 'x' is anything but '1' is usually a mistake.

Why 1 is a mistake? What's better for that system? Or how can i evaluate the best choice?

I'm understanding that 14,x means all 14 versions, like 14,*.
But usually, the choice 14,1 results in a mistake. For that reason i'm asking why choosing 14,1 instead of 14,2 or 14,3 could results in a mistake. If i'm right is the only version without the touchbar, but it appears to be i5 processor and 13-inch screen. Aniway correct CPU and correct display are recognized. But when it wake from sleep (with hibernatemode=0) i have to press the power button to wake up the screen, or it keep black.

I will try all the models. Thanks you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back