Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying the above to fix audio on my Precision 5510 but still not getting anywhere. Headphone jack is distorted. Any ideas on where I need to start? Everything else on my build is working.

Thanks!
Chris
Ok, here's the file.

Thanks!
Chris

Did you try ALCPlugFix?
Did you try CodecCommander.kext + appropriate SSDT for ALC298? (refer to CodecCommander repo *.dsl).

hi KNNSpeed
which way to disable GTX1050 ?

Has anyone tried plugging eGPU over TB3 to this laptop?

Would be interesting to see, as hot-plug and "TB3" got fixed ... Let me know, when you come to The Netherlands and we can test :D

Hi there,

Just wanted to pop in and make it official that I am (and have been for a while) pretty much completely finished with this project. It was mainly an academic exercise to see how well it could work, and, well, it did, though I've long since switched back to using my old Late 2013 MacBook Pro for Apple things. Please don't expect or hold out for anything from me in the way of further insights or answers to any questions, and know that I actually wiped the install clean off my Dell quite a while ago.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely wish Apple would just say something like "Go ahead and install MacOS on whatever you want, we just only provide support for our own machines" instead of deceptively advertising their own devices and being so absurdly anti-right-to-repair. I mean, just imagine if they had actually said that at any of the past 6 WWDCs--that could've easily been like when Steve Jobs announced the first iPhone. Instead, what we currently have are MacBooks that thermal throttle at stock speeds loaded with weird firmware and bizarre security chips, in addition to a disenchanted professional segment and alienated users. But since when did Apple care about any of those things?

If anything, I hope this serves as proof that Apple really has no excuse to be producing machines that are as under-specced, under-performing, and not-upgradeable as they have been for the past several years (especially at their current prices!!). The 2018 Mac Mini is just barely an exception, but compare it to the PowerMac G4 Cube and the difference is pretty clear.

Anyways, sorry if this is for some reason disappointing to anyone, but I hope it doesn't really come as a surprise. My most recent post in this forum was in December 2017, after all.

Last edited:
Just wanted to pop in and make it official that I am (and have been for a while) pretty much completely finished with this project.

Thanks for all the work you did on the XPS 9560 - this was the first starting point that worked for my XPS 9570. It looks like my Github repo in turn has helped many other people, so your work continues to pay dividends for many others.

Apple really has no excuse to be producing machines that are as under-specced, under-performing, and not-upgradeable as they have been for the past several years.

Well that's true.. after using a touchbar MBP with its terrible keyboard, I bought a Dell mostly out of necessity. I would've been happy to buy an Apple if it didn't have so many glaring defects.

Just wanted to pop in and make it official that I am (and have been for a while) pretty much completely finished with this project.
Thanks for all your time and efforts on this project and for sharing it with the community!!! I too share your feelings on Apple and their practices completely...which led me to this wonderful thread to begin with. Best of luck to you! :wave:

For anybody that wants to try, i have OpenCore 0.0.3 working for Dell XPS 9560 to boot MacOS. I can't get BrcmpatchRAM2 to load for bluetooth to work. If anyone can look into that and help with that, it'll be a good thing. Any modifications or fixes is welcomed also.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    9.1 MB · Views: 435
Hi all,
i have XPS 15 9575. I did all as per manual from this site and set BIOS as find here on several posts here, but...
when i boot from USB i get to screen as in picture 001. When i select to boot Catalina it gets to screen like in picture 002. It takes about 15 mins to fill bar under Apple sign and it stays there. I left it several times, even for over and hr but it just hangs there. Whichever change i make in BIOS, nothing, it hangs there. What am i missing?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 182
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 177
For anybody that wants to try, i have OpenCore 0.0.3 working for Dell XPS 9560 to boot MacOS. I can't get BrcmpatchRAM2 to load for bluetooth to work. If anyone can look into that and help with that, it'll be a good thing. Any modifications or fixes is welcomed also.

Is this for Catalina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back