Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
..but I was missing something else (can't remember what exactly)..

There are 2 tables which are dropped. Why? View attachment 342604
and more general - how to determine which tables have to be dropped?
I'm pretty sure the xh_ is for USB ports and PtidDevc is for I believe ACPI sensors. Tables are dropped b/c you create an SSDT patch to override the mobo's native SSDT, those SSDT tables are not longer needed and can conflict with the patches. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure that's the purpose.

Also it's pretty important to remember what exactly you are changing in your system. Helpful for others and obviously yourself moving forward.

I just purchased a 9560 on run out sale, to replace my 2009 MBP. Unfortunately my machine shipped with a PM981 NVMe Samsung drive which does not support 4k sectors. I know High Sierra supports 512b sectors natively - my question is - can I run Sierra? Why not just run High Sierra? The reason is Apple broke duet display functionality in 10.13.4, which is essential to my workflow (and the only HS installer I have is .5. I have multiple Sierra installers).
If someone knowledgeable could help me understand the 4k vs 512b sector issue I would be grateful. I currently run a SATA SSD in my MBP with Mavericks without issue.
Thanks in advance.

I just purchased a 9560 on run out sale, to replace my 2009 MBP. Unfortunately my machine shipped with a PM981 NVMe Samsung drive which does not support 4k sectors. I know High Sierra supports 512b sectors natively - my question is - can I run Sierra? Why not just run High Sierra? The reason is Apple broke duet display functionality in 10.13.4, which is essential to my workflow (and the only HS installer I have is .5. I have multiple Sierra installers).
If someone knowledgeable could help me understand the 4k vs 512b sector issue I would be grateful. I currently run a SATA SSD in my MBP with Mavericks without issue.
Thanks in advance.

I would just replace the SSD, since it's not soldered in. Any tinkering you do to fix the 4k vs 512b issue via software is going to be far more easily solved by having the correct hardware. Not to mention your potential future upgrade paths.

Same issue as replacing the wifi. If duet is so important to you, and it is indeed broken in 10.13.4+, then I think you're better off spending the $ on a new SSD with 4k sectors.

Is anyone having trouble with fan control / loud fans? Sometimes my fans are loud and they dont stop being loud even when the temps goes down. Have to restart to make them quiet again

I updated to 10.12.6 a while ago and it broke my audio and DW1560 wifi. Since then I backed up and made a new install to try to debug the issue. So far I have only been focusing on restoring WiFi and I haven't been able to get anything but Bluetooth to work. I attached a zip of any files that may be useful in figuring out the problem. This was all working on 10.12.5.

Attachments

• debug_15774.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
Is anyone having trouble with fan control / loud fans? Sometimes my fans are loud and they dont stop being loud even when the temps goes down. Have to restart to make them quiet again

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

I updated to 10.12.6 a while ago and it broke my audio and DW1560 wifi. Since then I backed up and made a new install to try to debug the issue. So far I have only been focusing on restoring WiFi and I haven't been able to get anything but Bluetooth to work. I attached a zip of any files that may be useful in figuring out the problem. This was all working on 10.12.5.

Your patch for WiFi with Name=AirPortBrcm4360 is wrong. Should be Name=com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360. Because "AirPortBrcm4360" does not match (is not a substring) against the kext bundle ID of com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360.

did anyone figure out if there is a better trackpad driver than Voodoo in terms of tracking accuracy and 2 finger scrolling?

did anyone figure out if there is a better trackpad driver than Voodoo in terms of tracking accuracy and 2 finger scrolling?

Depends a lot on the kind of trackpad you have (I2C vs. PS2) and the manufacturer of the trackpad (ELAN vs. Synaptics vs. FocalTech vs. ALPS).

Hey, I'm planning to install High Sierra on a separate 2.5" SSD since I have the FHD version with the smaller battery. Would I still be required to follow steps 4 and 5 of the install section. Other than those steps, would I then follow the rest of the guide with no differences other than installing to a separate SSD? Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back