Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is more of a direct question but what's the solution to making the Lite-On drives available in 10.13 installer? I know 10.13 has native SSD support but I've tried a patch or two and it still doesn't show up. Any help is appreciated.

This is more of a direct question but what's the solution to making the Lite-On drives available in 10.13 installer? I know 10.13 has native SSD support but I've tried a patch or two and it still doesn't show up. Any help is appreciated.

LiteOn needs a special "preferred block size" patch.
Refer to config_patches.plist in the patch-nvme repo:
https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

Thanks @RehabMan. It worked. I was trying the 10.12 patches.

Hey guys, hate to ask this question. but having difficulty with the 4k patch. it simply doesn't show up in Ubuntu. Is this the drive disappearing bug?

The frustrating part is I tried updating the firmware but it tells me it;s already the latest. Any pointers appreciated.

Drive is 512GB Toshiba THNSN5512GPUK. BIOS version 1.3.4 and Ubuntu 16.04 (higher than the ver used in guide)

bios settings are the original shipped with the laptop, but i dont think it matters to pick up the ssd?

Edit: Solved. Had to turn off RAID On in bios n use AHCI

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've been on Sierra with most things working for a while but I'm thinking of making the upgrade to High Sierra now.

I saw the other guide explaining how to do a fresh install and it says the whole drive must be available with no partitions. Is there any way to upgrade without wiping the whole drive? I have Linux and Windows on other partitions and would prefer not to have to wipe the entire drive.

My drive is the PM961 NVMe SAMSUNG 1024GB

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I've been on Sierra with most things working for a while but I'm thinking of making the upgrade to High Sierra now.

I saw the other guide explaining how to do a fresh install and it says the whole drive must be available with no partitions. Is there any way to upgrade without wiping the whole drive? I have Linux and Windows on other partitions and would prefer not to have to wipe the entire drive.

My drive is the PM961 NVMe SAMSUNG 1024GB

Thanks

With a correct configuration, you should be able to direct upgrade to 10.13 via the App Store.

With a correct configuration, you should be able to direct upgrade to 10.13 via the App Store.

That's good news.

Also, I understand that High Sierra comes with a new APFS format. That will only change it on my macOS partition, then, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back