Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've successfully installed Sierra onto my 9560, now I'm at post install trying to get clover installed onto the SSD, but I get the message "This package is incompatible with this version of OS X and may fail to install". I've tried to disable SIP in clover, but nothing works. Followed the instructions all the way through and even rebuilt my usb but with no success. Any help would be grateful!

I was able to get past that and install clover successfully. However, after doing the next step and moving the Clover files to the system EFI, I can't boot without the usb. It keeps going to the Dell supportassist page. Bios doesn't let me add any boot options unless the usb is inserted.

Hey everyone, I was able to resolve all my issues over the weekend. The computer is very stable and all the programs I need seem to be working for the most part. A super thanks to @KNNSpeed for the tutorial and @RehabMan for your wealth of knowledge. Definitely could not have done it with all your help!

A question for those with UHD/4K screen.

When booting into Clover, my Clover boot screen is having 4K resolution which makes all characters tiny. It is impossible to read the verbose messages, something badly need when OS X or installer boot fails. How do you cope with the problem? Do you have a way to make the resolution lower to FHD or 1366X768, or to make the fonts bigger? I tried to set resolution in the GUI section of config.plist but seems no effect. I also turned on CSM/legacy mode which just does not make difference.

A question for those with UHD/4K screen.

When booting into Clover, my Clover boot screen is having 4K resolution which makes all characters tiny. It is impossible to read the verbose messages, something badly need when OS X or installer boot fails. How do you cope with the problem? Do you have a way to make the resolution lower to FHD or 1366X768, or to make the fonts bigger? I tried to set resolution in the GUI section of config.plist but seems no effect. I also turned on CSM/legacy mode which just does not make difference.

CSM/legacy boot enabled.
config.plist/GUI/ScreenResolution=1024x768.
Also, look at your Clover bootlog.

Just posting to say the 10.13.2 update went without issues with my clover setup posted previously. Just had to rebuild the kextcache to get brightness working again.

No, the reason I switched was because the frequency vectors supplied by the 13,3 SMBIOS seem to better match the 7700HQ frequencies than the 14,3. These are the frequencies that apple chooses to use based on the model. The 14,3 seems to have slightly too high frequency settings. This might not have an effect as the processor should ignore them but I believe 13,3 might be more stable under load because of this if it does have an effect. I didn't notice any issues with 14,3, however.

You know the MBP14,3 uses a 7700HQ, right? I found that my XPS would dip down to 0.8GHz when I unplugged the charger, and then would go right back to 1.3GHz. I haven't looked at this in more than a month and a half at this point, and I forgot if I ever figured out why. The frequencyvectors shouldn't be doing anything if HWP is enabled via BIOS mod, unless the OS is fighting the CPU for control over power management... Which it looks like it might be. :/

Also: On Sierra, BIOS 1.6.2 is super important and does not break any patches. It fixes a massive security hole in Intel Management Engine, so updating to it is extremely important. But I can't update the first post with anything because it is apparently "spam-like."

@abtx did you end up installing the third antenna on your DW1830 wireless card?
sorry for late reply @ferchizzle. I ended up changing the wifi card. Mechanically it's pretty straight forward - you just swap the card. To get the drivers working I had to look up forums and figure it out which was a little more time consuming

Did anyone here update from 10.12 to 10.13? I just did update from 10.12.05 to 10.12.06 and it was safe to do so, everything works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back