Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tgmac - thank you for taking the plunge into High Sierra and sharing your results with us. I am currently doing my research for an install on a 9560 as well. are you also running APFS (Apple Filing System) on your install?

Currently on APFS.
Did a "converttoapfs NO" installation about a week ago just to test and get familiar with the method should I need it in the future, but switched back to APFS since all the apps I use have no problems running with it and it all just feels a bit snappier (might be a placebo effect).

Currently on APFS.
Did a "converttoapfs NO" installation about a week ago just to test and get familiar with the method should I need it in the future, but switched back to APFS since all the apps I use have no problems running with it and it all just feels a bit snappier (might be a placebo effect).

Boot will likely be faster with HFS+J (due to TRIM being enabled on NVMe always).

Boot will likely be faster with HFS+J (due to TRIM being enabled on NVMe always).
cool, might go back to it after I get my DSDT/SSDT files in order. Missing the quick(er) boot up times.

XPS 15 (9560) on macOS 10.13 (17A405)

Whoa, so you got sound, hdmi audio and headphone jack working? I don't have any of the Dell peripherals so I think I'm ready for the jump. I have my 512GB split into two partitions but I haven't used Windows 10 in months, Sierra has been super stable wiling to dual boot High Sierra to see how it goes. I have very similar hardware, would you mind sharing the files and settings you used? Like Clover config, SSDT and kexts?

Whoa, so you got sound, hdmi audio and headphone jack working? I don't have any of the Dell peripherals so I think I'm ready for the jump. I have my 512GB split into two partitions but I haven't used Windows 10 in months, Sierra has been super stable wiling to dual boot High Sierra to see how it goes. I have very similar hardware, would you mind sharing the files and settings you used? Like Clover config, SSDT and kexts?

Yes, everything's working, except the little annoyances with the WD15 and DA200, but seeing you don't use those, you shouldn't have any major problems.

files are attached to post #183
Just generate your own SMBIOS and I do advise to stick to MacBookPro14,1

Last edited:
files are attached to post #183
Just generate your own SMBIOS and I do advise to stick to MacBookPro14,1

Cool, I'm using 14,3 right now, I looked at the files noticed you aren't using any kexts. Is that correct?

Cool, I'm using 14,3 right now, I looked at the files noticed you aren't using any kexts. Is that correct?
I am, I just have them in S/L/E / L/E.

Bundled them up in the attached zip.

You can most likely get rid of:

CodecCommander.kext (unless you get distortion from audio jack headsets/speakers)
FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext (no real need for it anymore since HD630 is natively supported)
SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext (unless you're using an unsupported SATA drive)

Attachments

• kexts.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Bundled them up in the attached zip.
You can most likely get rid of:
CodecCommander.kext (unless you get distortion from audio jack headsets/speakers)
FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext (no real need for it anymore since HD630 is natively supported)
SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext (unless you're using an unsupported SATA drive)

Hey thanks a lot, I got it mostly working, only thing different is the voodoops2 trackpad. What version are you using?

When I revert to my old one where swipe with three fingers left and right for fwd and back, my brightness keys don't work. Are you using a gesture for 'back/forward'?

I did remove above kexts and some others, attached is my patched/kexts/config for others interested.
Note: I switched out the voodoops2 in attached with the original from OP.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Just a thought; Try Fn + Esc and then try brightness keys again.
Might have locked the Fn options out.

Latest from RehabMan: RehabMan-Voodoo-2017-0901.zip

I don't use any swipe features since this trackpad is the closest thing to horrid to begin with. Only Secondary click and Tap to Click enabled. + Sys Prefs>Accessibility>Mouse & Trackpad>Trackpad Options: Scrolling with inertia & Enable dragging with drag lock.

Scrolling speed is personal preference but I have it all the way up.

Just a thought; Try Fn + Esc and then try brightness keys again.
Might have locked the Fn options out.

Latest from RehabMan: RehabMan-Voodoo-2017-0901.zip

I don't use any swipe features since this trackpad is the closest thing to horrid to begin with. Only Secondary click and Tap to Click enabled. + Sys Prefs>Accessibility>Mouse & Trackpad>Trackpad Options: Scrolling with inertia & Enable dragging with drag lock.

Scrolling speed is personal preference but I have it all the way up.

I'll be damned I went and reinstalled and it just worked. Sweet. Thanks!

For those interested in some benchmarks:
CPU.png
OpenCL.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back