Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question: Is it possible to replace the Killer card after installing macOS without a full reinstall?

I want to take a crack at getting macOS up and running before ordering a replacement WiFi card.

Sidenote: WiFi through a WiFi dongle should work fine, right?
i.e: I could make do with using a dongle for a week or two before the Killer replacement arrives.

Thanks!

You can replace the WiFi after, but if you have patched ACPI files you may need to re-extract/re-patch.

Still no news on the Optimus solution? any way of getting the 1050 working?

Everything is mostly working, minus the ComboJack Audio Fix. I don't get any audio after sleep.

I think I might now be modifying SSDT-config.aml incorrectly. Can someone post a proper working one?

[EDIT]

So, it seems that closing the laptop for a brief moment kills audio, but leaving it off until it goes into "deep sleep" has everything working fine. Any idea why that may be?

[EDIT 2]

It seems that after setting macOS to require a password Immediately after closing the lid, Audio works great.

Weird, huh?

Last edited:
Hopefully someone can help me out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to get this going for several days now and I can't get through step 11... actually installing the OS. I'm trying to install from the most current download from the Apple Store. I don't see any obvious errors (except the occasional one below) and I have put in a valid serial number and changed the BoardSerialNumber and SmUUID according to https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/SMBIOS information. I have created the installation media from 2 different macbook pros.

When I boot it just stops loading... usually at a different place every time. Occasionally I get an error about

"SuperIODevice: [Fatal] found unsupported chip! ITE sequence ID=0x1d00, Windbond sequence ID=0xFFFF"

Attached is a sample output.

Attachments

• 20170814_195812.jpg
    20170814_195812.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 198
Hopefully someone can help me out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to get this going for several days now and I can't get through step 11... actually installing the OS. I'm trying to install from the most current download from the Apple Store. I don't see any obvious errors (except the occasional one below) and I have put in a valid serial number and changed the BoardSerialNumber and SmUUID according to https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/SMBIOS information. I have created the installation media from 2 different macbook pros.

When I boot it just stops loading... usually at a different place every time. Occasionally I get an error about

"SuperIODevice: [Fatal] found unsupported chip! ITE sequence ID=0x1d00, Windbond sequence ID=0xFFFF"

Attached is a sample output.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Also make sure you fill out your profile as per FAQ (all details).

Just ordered a DW1560, should be here in a few weeks :)

Until then, i'm tethering my phone using the excellent drivers by http://joshuawise.com/horndis

That said, I followed the Fix iMessage guide, but I can't seem to get macOS to treat my phone as Builtin (it does show up under en0 though). Anyone have any tips?

I'd love to get the Mac App Store working and download X-Code. I'd love to mess about with https://github.com/kyewei/osxhidtouch, mainly to get Drag working properly [SEE POST BELOW]

PS: If anyone was on the fence about it, I managed to Dual Boot Windows - macOS on the same SSD, installing macOS first, then windows, and then reinstalling clover. If anyone needs help getting it working, just ask :D

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I quickly slapped together a modified version astarasikov's osxhidtouch driver that work nicely with the XPS 15. It's really rough, but it definitely improves using the XPS touchscreen under macOS.

Some highlights:
- long-press for context menu
- very hacky double-click support
- extensible code

All in all, this driver isn't a major improvement, but since the code is relatively straightforward, with more work, we could get the touchscreen quite nicely I think :)

You can download my version at https://github.com/daniel5151/osxhidtouch

How to use:

Step 0) If you have XCode, you can build a executable yourself. No fancy dependencies, just clone the repo, and build it. I used the XCode 9 beta, but it should work on earlier versions (probably)

Step 1) Run the binary (it's under binary/HidSample), and quickly check if it works.

Step 2) Follow https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6442364/running-script-upon-login-mac/6445525#6445525 to run the driver quietly in the background whenever you log in.

Step 3) Log out, and log back in, and enjoy a (IMHO) better Touchscreen experience :D

Not my intention to hijack the thread, but since this beautiful post is becoming a bit stale, I will ask:
Any chance for it to be compatible with ALC256 of its minor brother, XPS 9360?
We still have sporadic audio issues, just like you had prior to your porting. I can help and provide you all the logs.
Since this is not the most appropriate thread, you can reply me on our 9360 thread.
Thank you for your work.
It's just a matter of finding the appropriate Linux driver and using the same vendor register settings. Unfortunately I don't have time to look into other audio codecs, but for your jack it should really be as simple as going through the Linux driver source and copy-pasting the vendor coefficients into each section of the ComboJack program in place of the coefficients the 9560 needs (VerbStub is generic and is simply a way to send verbs to the audio device--it doesn't need to be modified). I wrote the code such that it would be a copy-paste job to port drivers from Linux; even made sure to keep the same C function name to update coefficients. In other words, the "unplugged," "headphone," "headset," etc. sections of the ComboJack program code are the only things that need changing, but you do need to know C to be able to exhaustively find all the stuff that needs to be extracted from the Linux drivers.

In actuality, this technique ought to work for perfect audio out of any combo jack. It could probably be used to get 100% perfect audio out of any codec, for that matter, given a clever enough implementation to get around Apple's artificial limitations (like how we can only have certain numbers of audio inputs on portables and other such nonsense).

Hope this explains things a little better!

Edit: Regarding platform/layout-ids, all that needs to be done is to match whatever Windows sees as reported by Microsoft's HD Audio Utility, and not a single thing more (OS X cosmetics aside).

Last edited:
I have an Asus V550VX it has same graphics card as yours (HD630+Nvidia 950M). I could not get it to boot for the life of me. Anyway I grabbed your clover config and deleted most of the kext and the stuff in the patched apci folder, then I got it to install. Only the HD630 is showing up. The mouse is working. I just bought a wireless card and I am going to work on the sound and sd card and other bits later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back