Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I thought putting all the kexts in clover/kexts/other bypassed the cache. :/

It is best to install all kexts to the system volume (typically /L/E).

All my kext are in CLOVER/kexts/Other - as per your guide, but rebuilding after adding the BCM94352Z / DW1560 patch brought wifi to life.

As you should expect... Clover can only patch kexts that are in cache...

Oh, I get it. The Broadcom kext probably isn't loaded for anyone going straight from Killer -> DW1560.
It is best to install all kexts to the system volume (typically /L/E).
Why is it best to do that?
I have never seen a satisfactory technical explanation; honestly just a lot of contradiction and opinion about this topic.

Even feartech just prior mentioned "non-essential kexts," so already in less than 2 pages I feel like we're giving users mixed messages.

Here's my logic for installing into Clover/kexts/other exclusively:
my logic said:
  1. [Resilience] Apple can do whatever the heck it wants to S/L/E or /L/E, and when the patches break it's very easy to access the EFI drive from any other install to edit the patches
  2. [Development] Any sort of signature checks put in place to prevent modifications to /S/L/E miss anything that needs to be loaded for our systems
  3. [Version control] Modifications can be done on the fly, only requiring a reboot. If something goes wrong, swap out Clover/kexts for a known working version (again from any OS) and you can boot again
  4. [Removal] It's trivial to remove things when they become deprecated, like when, for example, Kaby Lake comes native I'll probably get to remove a bunch of stuff

Why is it best to do that?
I have never seen a satisfactory technical explanation; honestly just a lot of contradiction and opinion about this topic.

It is discussed in post #2 in my Clover guide.
Short answer: It is "more native".
I see more than one problem on this board each day *caused* by injecting kexts when not necessary.

Even feartech just prior mentioned "non-essential kexts," so already in less than 2 pages I feel like we're giving users mixed messages.

The guide explains it clearly.
"all kexts you need": installed to system volume
"essential kexts": EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

Note: "essential kexts" is a pure subset of "all kexts you need"...

Here's my logic for installing into Clover/kexts/other exclusively:

Some of your reasons have merit, but only during the development process.
For "final/release"... all kexts you need should be installed.

I've read that; and yeah, I mean, that does make sense. I do want to note that I'm expecting a lot of current stuff to be rendered obsolete when Kaby Lake comes native (e.g. we almost certainly won't need to fake Skylake parts anymore), and most of the kexts I've included are injectors and hot-patches-turned-kext, so it seems safer for now to do it this way.

Ok, I'll consider this a "Release Candidate" until Kaby Lake support is native, haha. ;)

Btw, CodecCommander seems to be working from Clover/kexts/other, at least for the purposes of fixing headphone jack distortion. That stated, I think I could fix that with a proper edit to layout-id 28 in AppleALC. Is there any documentation on things like "PostAmpDelay" and "PreAmpDelay," or otherwise making new layouts? I haven't been able to find anything specifically on creating custom layout-ids.

Last edited:
I've read that; and yeah, I mean, that does make sense. I do want to note that I'm expecting a lot of current stuff to be rendered obsolete when Kaby Lake comes native (e.g. we almost certainly won't need to fake Skylake parts anymore), and most of the kexts I've included are injectors and hot-patches-turned-kext, so it seems safer for now to do it this way.

Ok, I'll consider this a "Release Candidate" until Kaby Lake support is native, haha. ;)

Btw, CodecCommander seems to be working from Clover/kexts/other, at least for the purposes of fixing headphone jack distortion. That stated, I think I could fix that with a proper edit to layout-id 28 in AppleALC. Is there any documentation on things like "PostAmpDelay" and "PreAmpDelay," or otherwise making new layouts? I haven't been able to find anything specifically on creating custom layout-ids.

layout-id value is an arbitrary choice.. the number chosen has no significance.
What matters is the XML that is associated with that layout-id...
You can google for AppleHDA patching guides...

Is there an alternative method for Samsung NVME SSD's or will it simply not work? Thanks for the great guide!

Edit: Been doing some research, do I simply apply Pike's Patch?

Last edited:
Yes, there is, but the reason I expressly am not supporting them is because there's been a huge mess regarding large-scale data corruption on the Samsungs with those patches. So I can only recommend against going that route (4k sector drives have no such issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back