[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
Graphics

Last edited:

Last edited:
Tip to save 1W of power: completely disable SD card reader in BIOS.
Until a proper driver able to put the device into sleep state is written, it's better to keep it off.

Actually, you can turn off the SD card from within the operating system in my build (using the ExpressCard icon). This way, Windows and other operating systems can still use the SD card reader.

I just had a huge discussion about this with someone else: The point of my build is to have as much exposed to the OS as possible such that the experience of running OS X does not hamper the experience of running any other OS on the same machine. As it stands right now, with this build, the CPU package uses 1.6W idle. 0.25W, on average, belongs to the CPU cores. The CPU package DRAM uses the other 1.35W. Disabling the SD card nets you basically nothing if you do everything I stated.

This build is not the same as any other for similar models of laptops, and I would really appreciate it if people wouldn't come to try and make my build like theirs. A fair number of things in other builds simply do not apply to this one, for example:

I use dart=0 intentionally to keep vt-d on for Windows.
I'm not using a patched AppleHDA because this audio system with AppleALC has been virtually flawless, and I think the audio issue is basically gone at this point.

That said, suggestions and improvements are otherwise always welcome.

EDIT: Added some useful references to post #2.

EDIT 2: Updated the PDF with some formatting and typo fixes.

Last edited:
Great work. Thank you. Doing a 'nuke & pave' now.

I replaced 256gb nvme with Samsung EVO960: thus I had to patch config.plist to make the drive visible for the installer (as discussed in http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/ )

I replaced wifi card with DW1560, kext & patch, per suggestion in KNNSpeed's GUIDE.
** Will not work until 'rebuild kext cache' is done (e.g. with Kext Utility) as in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...es-unsupported-in-macos-sierra.201746/page-10

Notes:
IF Touch pad stops responding // **per KNNspeed - 'Radio on/off' key works as 'Touchpad on/off'
IF Screen brightness control functioning // recall of last position after rebook OK (non-responsive controls from keys fixed itself after a few reboots)

Last edited:
Sometimes a reboot solves issues and then they don't come back. Likely cache-related.

I don't have a DW1560 myself, so I'm not too sure. All I've seen is that the linked patch is needed plus FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext.

Oh! I totally should mention that on Mac OS the "Radio on/off toggle" actually enables/disables the touchpad instead of the WiFI radio. On Windows it doesn't do this.

Last edited:
Sometimes a reboot solves issues and then they don't come back. Likely cache-related.

I don't have a DW1560 myself, so I'm not too sure. All I've seen is that the linked patch is needed plus FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext.

Oh! I totally should mention that on Mac OS the "Radio on/off toggle" actually enables/disables the touchpad instead of the WiFI radio. On Windows it doesn't do this.
Thank you for confirming re 'RADIO on/off'.
Regarding DW1560, Had to rebuild kext cache! Updated my post above to reflect this step.

Interesting. I thought putting all the kexts in clover/kexts/other bypassed the cache. :/

Interesting. I thought putting all the kexts in clover/kexts/other bypassed the cache. :/
All my kext are in CLOVER/kexts/Other - as per your guide, but rebuilding after adding the BCM94352Z / DW1560 patch brought wifi to life.

All my kext are in CLOVER/kexts/Other - as per your guide, but rebuilding after adding the BCM94352Z / DW1560 patch brought wifi to life.
non essential kexts should be installed to S/L/E or S/L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back