Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have already installed the third antenna. My problem is not stability issue. After a cold boot with DW1830 on Sierra, OS X makes a solid connection with any kind of router, channel or wireless type (b, n or AC), but after wake from sleep, it sees all wireless available, but could not connect to some, specially the AC ones.
On El Capitan I can connect and reconnect after wake without any problem on AC routers.

Make sure "wake for network access" is disabled in SysPrefs->Energy Saver.

Based on your earlier posts, it appears indeed to be strictly a 5GHz issue. TBH I was having an issue using the "US" country code (and I'm in the US), which is why I had to use "Global." I know Apple does software regulatory channel enforcement (for example the OS won't let you use 40mhz-wide channels on 2.4GHz bands), so basically what I think you need to do is try to find a country code that works. It's also possible that the regulatory patch in its current state is simply not enough for countries outside the US, but I have no way of checking that for myself.

I also know that Apple bitmasks properties onto the wireless card on MacBook Pros after wake-from-sleep for some reason (on the Late 2013 MBP and newer), and maybe it's related, but again this is not something I have the capabilities to check. It just doesn't sound like a wireless card issue at all to me, and more an OS problem.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be that noticeable if you're using a GTX 1060 + External display. Anything more powerful (or using an eGPU on the Internal Display)... Yeah, then you might feel it a bit.

Great work. Thank you. Doing a 'nuke & pave' now.

I replaced 256gb nvme with Samsung EVO960: thus I had to patch config.plist to make the drive visible for the installer (as discussed in http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/ )

I replaced wifi card with DW1560, kext & patch, per suggestion in KNNSpeed's GUIDE.
** Will not work until 'rebuild kext cache' is done (e.g. with Kext Utility) as in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...es-unsupported-in-macos-sierra.201746/page-10

Notes:
IF Touch pad stops responding // **per KNNspeed - 'Radio on/off' key works as 'Touchpad on/off'
IF Screen brightness control functioning // recall of last position after rebook OK (non-responsive controls from keys fixed itself after a few reboots)
@ew8049tmx do you have a good tutorial as for how to get the DW1560 working? I've tried two different ones so far and can't get it to work. 'Unknown card type > Power off card' does appear in the toolbar which suggests the card is installed fine (it was straight forward, the two antenna cables I attached in no particular order, correct me if order matters, but I didn't think so).

[edit] I cannot find the FCVO patch tho, so that might be it..
[edit] I realized it's not a kext just a patch

Last edited:
That card icon, "unknown card type," is not the wifi card. It's the SD Card slot and/or the USB-C port. You'll know the wifi card works because Wifi will show up in network preferences.

That card icon, "unknown card type," is not the wifi card. It's the SD Card slot and/or the USB-C port. You'll know the wifi card works because Wifi will show up in network preferences.

So I just checked System Pref > Network and I've it only shows my phone I tether with and Bluetooth Pan. I opened the laptop a minute ago to make sure the card is sitting properly in the slot. Does that mean that the card is broken or that the config I did is wrong? Is there a way to distinguish between the two situations? BIOS?

[Edit] of course I didn't update my config.plist properly. card seems to work like a charm :D

Last edited:
Based on your earlier posts, it appears indeed to be strictly a 5GHz issue.
No, I have problems with channel 13 on wireless N too.
so basically what I think you need to do is try to find a country code that works.
I tried US, BR, DE, TW, CN and FR.
With some of them Airdrop does not work, because there's not channel 149 and my iPhone cannot see this machine and the problem after wake from sleep is still there.
It's also possible that the regulatory patch in its current state is simply not enough for countries outside the US, but I have no way of checking that for myself.
I would like to help you to help me if you teach me how.
It just doesn't sound like a wireless card issue at all to me, and more an OS problem
I think you are right as there is no problem with El Capitan on another partition.
Maybe something related with DW1830 on foreign countries. DW1560 work just fine with fcvo and the super country patch.

Unfortunately I don't know too terribly much about where in code Apple enforces wifi radio limits, only that it does.

Channel 13 does not exist in the US. We only have 1-11 on 2.4GHz. As for 5GHz:
http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/wireless/wi-fi/80211-channels-number-frequencies-bandwidth.php

See the "North America (FCC)" channels under 5GHz and 2.4GHz to see what we're limited to. DFS means dynamic frequency selection, and only is allowed in the US when routers and access points are on "auto" so that the signals can intelligently [enough] avoid military, weather, etc. radars and equipment. You can see it's quite limited. I wonder if you only have trouble with non-US channels (as well as with channels allowed in the US but not elsewhere, which seem to exist only in 5GHz).

The only way I know of to change country codes is by modifying the two bytes in that patch. You may also want to look through this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.104850/page-116

Since it looks like you're experiencing issues not specific to this laptop. What I would do if I were you right now is go back to using #a, and see if anyone in that thread has the same issue. If anything, they would have the knowledge that I don't have to potentially fix your problem.

does ethernet show up for you guys in Network? I can't remember if there before, now looking to solve the login issue with App Store but only my WIFI card shows up in Network section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back