Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RehabMan thank you very much! can you please tell me if these instructions are still valid for VoodooPS2Controller.kext:

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Install

I was going through the instructions and could not find "AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext" or "ApplePS2Controller.kext" in S/L/E.

Many thanks in advance!

If you never installed AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext or ApplePS2Controller.kext (old versions of the kext), you should not expect to find them.

So a bit of a strange issue here, have been asked a lot around but with no clear answer:
Clover doesn't see the install_osx partition to start the installation as per @RehabMan guide. I've followed the guide and repeated including downloading the Install MacOS app several times with the same result, worth mentioning is that I'm downloading HS. I tried @RehabMan clover folder and @KNNSpeed folder both with the same result.

After some digging around in clover I noticed that using @KNNSpeed folder the HFS+ driver is loaded (UEFI shell -> devices) but the partition doesn't show, even if I use F3, one boot option shows for Windows 10. Using the default clover folder (Green theme) the HFS+ driver is not loaded, but all partitions on the nvme disk are visible as boot options.

HFSPlus.efi is in the drivers64UEFI folder, even apfs.efi.

When I try to load the HFSPlus.efi from UEFI shell it says something along the lines of (can't remember exactly) APFS_efi load, long line, then at the end an exitcode with so many zeroes then 7 ( 0000000007).

N.B. This is a 9560 with i7-7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 4K touchscreen and PM961 Samsung NVMe.

Can anyone help?

Update:
UEFI Shell Outputs attached.

Attachments

• 20180117_161730.jpg
    20180117_161730.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
So a bit of a strange issue here, have been asked a lot around but with no clear answer:
Clover doesn't see the install_osx partition to start the installation as per @RehabMan guide. I've followed the guide and repeated including downloading the Install MacOS app several times with the same result, worth mentioning is that I'm downloading HS. I tried @RehabMan clover folder and @KNNSpeed folder both with the same result.

After some digging around in clover I noticed that using @KNNSpeed folder the HFS+ driver is loaded (UEFI shell -> devices) but the partition doesn't show, even if I use F3, one boot option shows for Windows 10. Using the default clover folder (Green theme) the HFS+ driver is not loaded, but all partitions on the nvme disk are visible as boot options.

HFSPlus.efi is in the drivers64UEFI folder, even apfs.efi.

When I try to load the HFSPlus.efi from UEFI shell it says something along the lines of (can't remember exactly) APFS_efi load, long line, then at the end an exitcode with so many zeroes then 7 ( 0000000007).

N.B. This is a 9560 with i7-7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 4K touchscreen and PM961 Samsung NVMe.

Can anyone help?

Update:
UEFI Shell Outputs attached.
"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Attachments

• Report.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
Apologies for that and thanks for all your help.

The clover zip is exactly the same one supplied by @KNNSpeed, attached here again along with the other required files.

I can't run patchmatic coz I can't get into macOS, neither ioreg.

Thanks again.

Your config.plist is a bit of a mess (way too many fixes enabled in ACPI/DSDT/Fixes, just as one example, ACPI/CPU PM configuration is wrong, for another).

If you're trying to reach the installer, read the guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.232980/

Ok, I've went through the guide again, I've tried more than 3 different configs, attached clover files, all with the same result. Also, I've tried recreating the USB, using a different stick. Finally I tried using VBoxHFS-64.efi instead, almost same result, with the one exception that when in UEFI shell I am able to browse the FS1: (USB Installer partition FS), otherwise it says it is not found. I tried booting manually by browsing to the /System/Library/CoreServices and running boot.efi -no_compat_check from there but I get a freeze after the initial apple logo, see attached screenshot.

I would really appreciate if you can provide more details on what might be wrong, I have a sense it is in the filesystem/driver department, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again

Attachments

• 20180118_125257.jpg
    20180118_125257.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
  • CLOVER.1.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 82
  • CLOVER.2.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 76
  • CLOVER.3.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 67
Ok, I've went through the guide again, I've tried more than 3 different configs, attached clover files, all with the same result. Also, I've tried recreating the USB, using a different stick. Finally I tried using VBoxHFS-64.efi instead, almost same result, with the one exception that when in UEFI shell I am able to browse the FS1: (USB Installer partition FS), otherwise it says it is not found. I tried booting manually by browsing to the /System/Library/CoreServices and running boot.efi -no_compat_check from there but I get a freeze after the initial apple logo, see attached screenshot.

I would really appreciate if you can provide more details on what might be wrong, I have a sense it is in the filesystem/driver department, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again

As per guide, you must fill out your profile with hardware details.
Please fix as per FAQ.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Also, read "Problem Reporting" for problem reporting required attachments.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
Use the tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

I thought I should point out in this thread that VoodooI2C provides better multitouch gestures for the trackpad than VoodooPS2 on the XPS 15 than VoodooPS2 does. It also provides full multitouch gestures for the USB touchscreen which is a nice addition.

The following are the installation instructions for VoodooI2C: https://voodooi2c.github.io/#Installation/Installation

The XPS15 requires VoodooI2C.kext and VoodooI2CHID.kext injected with Clover, along with the necessary DSDT patches outlined in the above guide.

I thought I should point out in this thread that VoodooI2C provides better multitouch gestures for the trackpad than VoodooPS2 on the XPS 15 than VoodooPS2 does. It also provides full multitouch gestures for the USB touchscreen which is a nice addition.

You should expect better performance from I2C than PS2. PS2 just doesn't have the bandwidth required for a modern trackpad, hence why OEMs are moving away from PS2.

USB Touchscreen served by I2C kexts? Interesting...

Hi. I have the XPS 15 9650 with the 1920x1080 display. I have followed the instructions above including rehabman’s instructions for creating the USB installer for High Sierra. However, when I reboot the machine to the USB, only the internal HD is showing in the clover menu and not the usb stick. Please help. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back