Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything is mostly working, minus the ComboJack Audio Fix. I don't get any audio after sleep.

I think I might now be modifying SSDT-config.aml incorrectly. Can someone post a proper working one?

[EDIT]

So, it seems that closing the laptop for a brief moment kills audio, but leaving it off until it goes into "deep sleep" has everything working fine. Any idea why that may be?

[EDIT 2]

It seems that after setting macOS to require a password Immediately after closing the lid, Audio works great.

Weird, huh?

You know, I've always had that "require password immediately" setting enabled. Maybe that's why I've never had an issue?

As the new macOS support both the CPU and graphics (HD630) out of the box, would it perhaps be an idea to update the installation guide a bit? I haven't tested it myself yet(but plan to sometime this week) to go the normal route following the standard installation guide and seeing how far we can go without completely overhauling the CLOVER folder. the less we modify needlessly, the less we may need to troubleshoot.

I just got on 10.12.6 today. I'll post something when I can.
The gist of it is: I've updated almost all kexts in EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other to newer versions (and FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext can be removed), a new config.plist is required because Clover injects a bunch of junk and needs to be overridden, and SSDT-IGPU can be deleted (with no other change to the EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder). Also had to update Clover from r4077 -> r4184.

EDIT: Here's my config.plist. WARNING: SMBIOS CHANGED.
This is basically a new machine.

Attachments

• config.plist
    12.4 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
I just got on 10.12.6 today. I'll post something when I can.
The gist of it is: I've updated almost all kexts in EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other to newer versions (and FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext can be removed), a new config.plist is required because Clover injects a bunch of junk and needs to be overridden, and SSDT-IGPU can be deleted (with no other change to the EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder). Also had to update Clover from r4077 -> r4184.

EDIT: Here's my config.plist. WARNING: SMBIOS CHANGED.
This is basically a new machine.

looks good, would that need a new release.zip which includes your updated kexts? this config.plist solved my "Shutdown actually reboots system" issue, but now my external monitor isn't working I'm still looking around to see if I can find where it's going wrong. it's connected to a WD15 docking station via hdmi (mini-dp didn't work before either). Also disconnecting the dock (USB-C) freezes up system and auto reboots it short after.

I suppose I could make a new zip file now, but something pretty good's in the pipeline and I wanted to wait until that was done (I think it's really worth the wait ;) ).

WD15 is USB-C, not Thunderbolt, hmm. I think you need to check your BIOS version. You MUST be on 1.3.4 and be using SSDT-TYPC + SSDT-YTBT. At the same time, it sounds like your USB disconnection problem may be related to the HDMI problem, which is likely due to the framebuffer being messed up. The new config.plist is only to be used with my original release from post #1 plus the changes to the items in the Clover folder per the post you quoted. Any deviations from that setup I cannot really help troubleshoot.

To get up to speed with my current situation, you can manually update Lilu, the various "fixup" kexts, AppleALC, and ACPI Battery Manager to the latest versions (I think that's all of the ones with updates). I also threw in IntelGraphicsFixup, but I still don't really understand what it actually does and may remove it if it doesn't prove to solve any problem.

bios downgraded to 1.3.4
went ahead and redid the entire installation, updated the kexts and config file. removed SSDT-IGPU & FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext

two annoyances that I can actually live with, but would be nice to solve;

- when booting up with either a Dell DA200(USBC) adapter or with the WD15 connected results in the Ethernet adapter not being able to resolve IPs correctly (169 address). Unplugging the USBC cable from the machine and waiting about 10 seconds before plugging it back in gets it working again.

- when connected to either the DA200 or the WD15, shutting down results in a reboot.

So as long as I don't start up or shutdown the machine connected to either USB-C devices, I have no problems.

Attached my clover folder (without themes) + bootlog incase anyone was interested.

PS; 1.5 BIOS is out just ahead of HS. gonna be a fun few weeks of tweaking ahead.

Attachments

• bootlog.log.txt
    56.6 KB · Views: 247
  • CLOVER.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 247
BIOS 1.5.0 doesn't break anything. Your shutdown/reboot problem sounds like it might be related to "USB Wake" in the BIOS settings--make sure it's unchecked.

The reason there is a delay (it's about 2-3 seconds) when plugging in the USB-C device is because the Thunderbolt controller needs to power up from basically off when a device is plugged in and power down from on when a device is unplugged. Dell did this for power savings (saves a couple watts), however thunderbolt/type-c enumeration is a little slow anyway. This might be slightly alleviated in the future, but in general this is just the nature of the type-C protocol. If you have Windows you can see it does in fact take a little while between plug-in and the "device detected" sound.

EDIT: one of the BIOS 1.5.0 changes is related to the WD15--see the update notes.

Anyone else with a DW1560 experiencing bluetooth issues? WiFi works fine, but Bluetooth seems to be a lot worse than with Killer.

Two big things that i'm dealing with are:
- [compared to windows] the xps need to be a lot closer to bluetooth speakers, or else audio cuts out
- `Bluetooth: Not Available` when waking up from sleep

Any ideas on why this might be happening?

Anyone else with a DW1560 experiencing bluetooth issues? WiFi works fine, but Bluetooth seems to be a lot worse than with Killer.

Two big things that i'm dealing with are:
- [compared to windows] the xps need to be a lot closer to bluetooth speakers, or else audio cuts out
- `Bluetooth: Not Available` when waking up from sleep

Any ideas on why this might be happening?

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

@KNNSpeed Thank you for posting this guide. It's immensely helpful. I have been doing research and due diligence to make sure I know what to do when I purchase a 9560 and set it up like you have. I read through the Dell Service manual and see the antenna cover where the 3rd Antenna from the DW1830 is supposed to pass through. However, I cannot figure out what kind of "surgery" needs to be performed in order to get the 3rd Antenna installed. I could not find any guides that speak to that as well. Can you please provide some insight and details on how the 3rd antenna is supposed to be installed? Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
@ferchizzle... I did it, but didn't have to perform such a big "surgery".
I only cut off one of the clips on the inside of the antenna cover, at the height of where I attached the 3rd antenna. Otherwise you get a little bump on the cover. For the rest you can get the 3rd antenna cable next to the other ones without any problem.
I'd take a picture, but my laptop is back for repairs at Dell right now...

Last edited:
Hi,
I've got the same Laptop as you and tried to install MacSierra 10.12.6. Everything works fine until booting from SSD after installing PHASE 1. When I reboot then I get the message:

macOS could not be installed on your computer
Unable to unmount volume for repair
Quit the installer to restart

When I restart and try to get to the installer again. I get the message that I have to verify my computer to install macOS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back