Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 L322x El Capitan Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for this simple and efficient guide. Had been wondering if this hardware was becoming obsolete or what. Couldn't figure out how to make it work that well by myself. Thanks again for the work!

But the thing is now Sierra... I've been trying to make the direct update, but it hangs at the first reboot after the installer has run. Probably needing some extra kexts or configuration. Could you point out the crucial elements?

Thanks!

Ok, I just tried real quick, to see how it's behaving. In my case when the system reboots the option to continue the installation doesn't show up as an option on Clover boot loader. Is it the same with you?
If so, let me know, i'll try to work on it over this next week.

Thanks igorbelchior.

I'll post the photo of the verbose output as RehabMan suggests. I gave it a try with the same clover content as the one in attachment in the OP. Didn't really expect it to work, really, but who knows.

Ok, I just tried real quick, to see how it's behaving. In my case when the system reboots the option to continue the installation doesn't show up as an option on Clover boot loader. Is it the same with you?
If so, let me know, i'll try to work on it over this next week.

Oh, our messages just crossed.
In my case on the first reboot the option does show up as an option on Clover. But it finally hangs during the process, sometimes very soon (one tenth of the time line), sometimes at about 4/5ths of the time. Then there is a graphic jam (the apple "scattered" all around the screen) and the spinning color wheel. I did a hard exit (with power button), and the option to boot from it is still among the clover options.

I'll have to post the verbose output later, I'm performing these installation on another ssd, which I haven't on right now...

Hello again. Sorry for getting back so late to this, I had a really busy time.

I just tried a new update from a fresh El Capitan install, made according to the instructions in OP. Then I lauched the update to Sierra from the Installer in Applications. It took one minute, then rebooted, and almost immediatly started on "Boot macOS Install on <my mac drive>". I just had the time to glimpse one line below "In 0 seconds". So I couldn't activate verbose mode. And it hanged.
So I turned it off with the power button and back on again, and had the three drives in clover, "Boot macOS Install on <my mac drive>", "Boot Mac OS from <my mac drive>", and "Boot Recovery from Recovery HD". Then I had the time to put on the verbose mode, since there was no timer anymore.
Here is where it hanged.

P1020087.JPG

After a while, the apple and the time line appeared, with green streeks, as if there was something wrong with the display config.
And after doing a hard shutdown and booting again, the option to boot to Install remained, even after booting to the second option (directly to the previous system).

I had previously tried making the Sierra update by a USB flash drive, booting from the clover on the USB drive, not the one on the ssd of the computer, otherwise it hanged as well. Funny thing was, the usual tools (liks disk utilities and so on) were not available. And the install, which I made on the existing ssd with El Capitan, lasted 29 minutes. At the reboot, it was kernel panic, rebooting automatically, sometimes with the interdiction sign with text saying it will restart soon, sometimes the plain sign. This is the first verbose output I had.
IMG_0156.jpg

Sorry, the picture is not quite complete, I hope it can make some sense however. I made some tries with the restore hd, but it didn't work either, so finally I decided to reinstall El Capitan entirely, and to update from the Installer in the Application folder of the existing El Capitan system.

Here is where I am now.

Hello again. Sorry for getting back so late to this, I had a really busy time.

I just tried a new update from a fresh El Capitan install, made according to the instructions in OP. Then I lauched the update to Sierra from the Installer in Applications. It took one minute, then rebooted, and almost immediatly started on "Boot macOS Install on <my mac drive>". I just had the time to glimpse one line below "In 0 seconds". So I couldn't activate verbose mode. And it hanged.
So I turned it off with the power button and back on again, and had the three drives in clover, "Boot macOS Install on <my mac drive>", "Boot Mac OS from <my mac drive>", and "Boot Recovery from Recovery HD". Then I had the time to put on the verbose mode, since there was no timer anymore.
Here is where it hanged.

View attachment 214986
After a while, the apple and the time line appeared, with green streeks, as if there was something wrong with the display config.
And after doing a hard shutdown and booting again, the option to boot to Install remained, even after booting to the second option (directly to the previous system).

I had previously tried making the Sierra update by a USB flash drive, booting from the clover on the USB drive, not the one on the ssd of the computer, otherwise it hanged as well. Funny thing was, the usual tools (liks disk utilities and so on) were not available. And the install, which I made on the existing ssd with El Capitan, lasted 29 minutes. At the reboot, it was kernel panic, rebooting automatically, sometimes with the interdiction sign with text saying it will restart soon, sometimes the plain sign. This is the first verbose output I had.View attachment 214995
Sorry, the picture is not quite complete, I hope it can make some sense however. I made some tries with the restore hd, but it didn't work either, so finally I decided to reinstall El Capitan entirely, and to update from the Installer in the Application folder of the existing El Capitan system.

Here is where I am now.

Your VooodooPS2Controller.kext is too old for Sierra.

See here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-some-unsolved-problems-in-10-12-sierra.202316/

Thanks, RehabMan, for the info, and for this new version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

I tried another attempt to update from a clean El Capitan. I followed the guide to the point of the kexts, where I replaced VoodooPS2Controller.kext by the newer version, after having seen that there were neither AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext nor ApplePS2Controller.kext to be removed. Then I copied org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist in /Library/LaunchDaemons and VoodooPS2Daemon in /usr/bin.

Getting back to the guide, I repaired permissions (with KextUtility), and rebooted without cache.

But at that point neither the trackpad nor the sound were functioning. Webcam and battery were functioning normally. I started nonetheless the update from the Sierra Installer I had copied in the Applications folder. But the system hanged at the same point as was shown in the first picture I posted:

AppleLMUController::getSMCProvider Error: Wait for AppleSMC provider timed out
AppleLMUController::start Error: Could not get SMCProvider
and after 240 seconds I guess:
busy timout[0], (240s), kextd wait(0): 'AppleACPICPU', 'MCMC'

Maybe I didn't do things in the right order... I see there are still a lot of uncertain issues with Sierra. Hope maybe this try helped just a tiny bit? Suggestions welcome of course.

Thanks, RehabMan, for the info, and for this new version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

I tried another attempt to update from a clean El Capitan. I followed the guide to the point of the kexts, where I replaced VoodooPS2Controller.kext by the newer version, after having seen that there were neither AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext nor ApplePS2Controller.kext to be removed. Then I copied org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist in /Library/LaunchDaemons and VoodooPS2Daemon in /usr/bin.

Getting back to the guide, I repaired permissions (with KextUtility), and rebooted without cache.

But at that point neither the trackpad nor the sound were functioning. Webcam and battery were functioning normally. I started nonetheless the update from the Sierra Installer I had copied in the Applications folder. But the system hanged at the same point as was shown in the first picture I posted:

AppleLMUController::getSMCProvider Error: Wait for AppleSMC provider timed out
AppleLMUController::start Error: Could not get SMCProvider
and after 240 seconds I guess:
busy timout[0], (240s), kextd wait(0): 'AppleACPICPU', 'MCMC'

Maybe I didn't do things in the right order... I see there are still a lot of uncertain issues with Sierra. Hope maybe this try helped just a tiny bit? Suggestions welcome of course.

No idea without details on your problem. I don't see that you provided any here.

No idea without details on your problem. I don't see that you provided any here.

Here is the photo of the last hang.
P1020095.JPG
And here is the EFI/CLOVER.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 162
Thanks igorbelchior !

After several tests on sierra update, i wanted to make a fresh clean re-install of ElCapitan and your guide is very useful.
Almost ;) everything is working ... except the wifi.

When i start using this laptop with macos couple years ago, i replaced the original wifi card like you but with DW1702 (Atheros AR9285 chipset) and wifi just worked.
I used a patched version of AirPortAtheros40.kext with addition of the line :
Code:
<string>pci168c,2b</string>
Just in case i've check and no problem on windows 10 and ubuntu so the hardware is ok.
I've tried to re-use the same kext but still don't work (not even seen in hardware list).

Also tried the airport_kext_enabler (toledaARPT.kext) method as described the "airport-pcie-half-mini" guide with no more success.

Would you have an idea to make mine (DW1702) work ?
Do you use the dsdtEdit method ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back