Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another trouble I have is the sound speaker :
Low sound are good
Loud sound are saturated (my be it's not the correct word )

It seems to me that the sound volume is adds to itself .... I'm wrong ?
I use AppleALC.kext and my Sound device is :

<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)</key>
<dict>
<key>layout-id</key>
<integer>13</integer>
</dict>
</dict>

How to solve this ? any ideas ?
Thanks

Last edited:
With the introduction of OpenCore, I've now committed an OpenCore configuration to the repository.
It would be good to get some feedback from users to see how well it works and what can be improved.

Just moving from High Sierra via Clover to 10.15.4 via OC 0.5.9. Bought a new SSD, so I didn't mess with my stable High Sierra install. After install, I put it in an enclosure, so I can boot via USB for further testing.

I have the same system as yours, used your OC folder from your git-hub repo.

Followed the OpenCore guide to get bluetooth working.

I have a couple of remaining issues:

AppleALC is causing kernel_task to use massive amount of cpu.
Internet sharing via WiFi from USB ethernet adapter doesn't work (worked on High Sierra).

Does anyone have a working webcam on Catalina 10.15.4? Mine is working for 30 secs after boot, then displays only a black square. Camera light turns on tho.

Using latest Darkvoid repo with UVCFaceTimeHD.kext in clover.

Another trouve I have is the sound speaker :
Low sound are good
Loud sound are saturated (my be it's not the correct word )

It seems to me that the sound volume is adds to itself .... I'm wrong ?
I use AppleALC.kext and my Sound device is :

<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)</key>
<dict>
<key>layout-id</key>
<integer>13</integer>
</dict>
</dict>

How to solve this ? any ideas ?
Thanks

I think the exact phrase you're looking for is 'audio is clipped' (Pourquoi le son sature-t-il?).
I have the same issue with one of my 9360s and I suspect the speaker has actually been physically distorted by it as it's now sounding wonky on Linux and windows.

Previously I used a patched AppleHDA kext, but I noticed this happened when I switched to AppleALC.

If anyone else is experiencing this please let me know and I'll try and dig deeper.

I think the exact phrase you're looking for is 'audio is clipped' (Pourquoi le son sature-t-il?).
Yes The sound is clipped .... but only the Loud parts ➧ thus the feeling the sound adds to itself and so it naturally clipped

I have the same issue with one of my 9360s and I suspect the speaker has actually been physically distorted by it as it's now sounding wonky on Linux and windows.
I haven't got any Windows installed to test .... good point
Thanks

EDIT
I installed Windows 10
The sound is as bas as MacOS !!
Speakers seems to be physically damaged.
I'll try to replace them with new ones
Thanks

Last edited:
Yes The sound is clipped .... but only the Loud parts ➧ thus the feeling the sound adds to itself and so it naturally clipped

I haven't got any Windows installed to test .... good point
Thanks
I have changed the device id from 13 to 56. it seems better but still not perfect.
may be speakers are damaged:roll2:
what is your device-id for the AUDIO ?
Thanks

Good question - I'm not even sure which kexts set device or layout-id anymore to be honest...

This is from my SSDT

Code:
                "layout-id",
                Buffer (0x04)
                {
                     0x0B, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                },

Hello @jkbuha, I would like to ask what is the variable name for GPU Voltage Offset? I have a different laptop that I would like to undervolt but not sure whether it is
Code:
GT Voltage Offset
or not.

Thanks,
twsps

Hello @jkbuha, I would like to ask what is the variable name for GPU Voltage Offset? I have a different laptop that I would like to undervolt but not sure whether it is
Code:
GT Voltage Offset
or not.

Thanks,
twsps

If it's a Dell BIOS (which it sounds like it is) then yes - it's the GT Voltage Offset.

You should be able to amend some/any of the following:

Code:
Processor, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
Memory, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
GT, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
Uncore, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)

If it's a Dell BIOS (which it sounds like it is) then yes - it's the GT Voltage Offset.

You should be able to amend some/any of the following:

Code:
Processor, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
Memory, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
GT, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
Uncore, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName)
Thanks for the tip. I have also noticed that I found two variables for overclock variables "Overclocking Lock" and "Overclocking Feature". Currently I have enabled "Overclocking Feature" and undervolting is working, what about the "Overclocking Lock"? What does it do specifically?

Thanks,
twsps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back