Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since RAM is soldered the only thing you can try is to switch to another SSD. Otherwise you can’t really repair the mainboard, there are some cheap ones on Ebay tho.
Thanks for the answer! Just checked with some other people. The Geekbench score from OP is based on Geekbench 3. My score is average for i7-7500u laptops with the up to date Geekbench. So it seems like the hardware is okay, just my clover config could be better optimized. I’d appreciate if anyone with the know how could take a look at my clover folder.

Thanks for the answer! Just checked with some other people. The Geekbench score from OP is based on Geekbench 3. My score is average for i7-7500u laptops with the up to date Geekbench. So it seems like the hardware is okay, just my clover config could be better optimized. I’d appreciate if anyone with the know how could take a look at my clover folder.
Try this clover folder. Should be ready to go, just copy it to your efi. It is an older clover version tho, but for testing it should be enough.

Attachments

• Clover Stable Copy copy.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 131
/* deleted */

Last edited:
Knock, knock...anyone still here?

Just thought I'd pop in to say that the update to Catalina went just fine. Only thing I needed to change was to use BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM3.kext for BT functionality. Everything else stayed the same (Clover).

Should this thread be continued for our machine, or should a new thread be started in the Catalina support forum here?

I tried to get OC working, but without success. I used the folder from DV's repo. Does anyone have a solidly working OC folder they could share?

Thanks much!

Last edited:
The problem is that the OP here, as well as that one post that's somewhere in the middle (where the switchover to HWP happened, as I recall), are the closest things to a guide in these forums. There could be a new "support" thread, but whatever guide thread exists tends to also be the one used for support / updates.

There are an awful lot of subtleties documented here, but in no single place. The OS X version can now be one of 4 possibilities, there are two generations of CPU within the 9360 line, and also two variants of the GPU.

When you say OC folder, what are you referring to? The overclocking process involves experimenting with different values of the relevant EFI setup variables, so you can't just install a folder.

The problem is that the OP here, as well as that one post that's somewhere in the middle (where the switchover to HWP happened, as I recall), are the closest things to a guide in these forums. There could be a new "support" thread, but whatever guide thread exists tends to also be the one used for support / updates.

There are an awful lot of subtleties documented here, but in no single place. The OS X version can now be one of 4 possibilities, there are two generations of CPU within the 9360 line, and also two variants of the GPU.

When you say OC folder, what are you referring to? The overclocking process involves experimenting with different values of the relevant EFI setup variables, so you can't just install a folder.
I was referring to OpenCore when I mentioned OC. Sounds like it's a bit cleaner of a solution over Clover and potentially the direction Hackintoshing is headed.

I agree this thread it convoluted and unmanaged. That being said, there is a ton of information scattered about.

Oh, right. I need to read about it. I'm still getting my various machines switched over from HFS to APFS, working out which ones make the switch to AMD vs stay on High Sierra, all of that. And now I need to learn another new bootloader! It's too much, sometimes, heh.

Hi guys, I am the OP.
I am absolutely speechless for the amount of information that you brought here in this thread during these 3 years.
THANK YOU ALL!
Since my XPS was built to be a production machine, at one point I stopped experimenting because it was so good that I've been using it with no issues for almost 3 years. Once reaching 100% reliability, I think we can call it a perfect build.
The only thing that I did was to swap the battery with a new OEM one.
(BTW, good surprise, this OEM battery supplied by Dell in Oct 2019 has 7% more capacity than the original one and I'm back to 10 hours of uptime with office load.)

Now, I really need your help.
Help me re-organize this thread, please.
I am buried with work so I need your help to update the thread.

I am kindly asking for two things:
1) Please point me out to the most relevant posts buried in the middle of the thread, so that I can report and link them in the first post
2) If anyone has good working Catalina files and has the EXACT configuration of mine (7500U FHD plus, optionally, SATA drive), please attach them with good explaination of major changes from the original guide, so I can update the first thread (with credits, of course). If you have any issues, even the minor ones, please mention them. I don't want to introduce regressions.

A big thank you, again!

Last edited:
It might be informative to compare the Clover config from your latest files with the one from the Darkvoid repo (at least, whatever the latest is that's directly comparable), and maybe also one from @jkbuha or somebody else on Kaby Lake-R? For instance, there was this one:

I've experienced the HD 630 acting a little differently than the 620, also. Black screen on wake, for example. Although I think maybe it depends on the OS X version, what the fix is (ie, whether a fakeid is needed).

eta: the other things that come to mind are: alcid changes, what to do if you're on 512-byte sectors (personally, I always avoid)

I would add:

- Great first-time installation video by Mark Perez

- new USB-C acpi patches in the the-darkvoid repo, saves you a lot of battery while using a monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back