Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have a working battery cycle count btw? Mine is showing 0. Is the Dell battery even tracking its cycles?

Yeah, I can see that in System Information under Power. Couldn't say what the difference might be. I have pretty much a standard DarkVoid-based install, except that I stayed with FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC, and I install all kexts to /S/L/E (which means adding LiluFriend).

Latest BIOS 2.11.1. If the machine doesn't POST then it's likely your chip die is more sensitive to voltage changes.

Start at -5mV increments, run Prime95 for 1h, decrease by -5mV and repeat until you get a BSOD. Then increase once by -5mV and you're done.

So it's been a while since I have updated my XPS. Right now I'm in the process of switching to OpenCore bootloader but I have faced a really uncool issue which I want to ask if any other owner got the same problem as well.
The thing is that NVRAM write is not working neither on OpenCore nor on Clover. Whenever I type in terminal sudo nvram -c I get:
Code:
nvram: Error clearing firmware variables: (iokit/common) not permitted
This one looks like a generic issue with desktop motherboards which use APTIO V, especially Z3xx.

Has the Dell changed something between the BIOS updates or maybe it's something else I'm missing?
I'm using 2.12.0 BIOS with macOS Mojave 10.14.5.
Thanks for helping out.

Hi, I recently installed macOS 10.14.6 on a dell xps 9360 with iris plus 640 graphics, everything is working fine but my system ramdomly freezes after a few minutes of using the computer.

Any ideas on how to solve this? Or at least what can be the cause of the problem

Hi, I recently installed macOS 10.14.6 on a dell xps 9360 with iris plus 640 graphics, everything is working fine but my system ramdomly freezes after a few minutes of using the computer.

Any ideas on how to solve this? Or at least what can be the cause of the problem
Does it freeze every time? I would suggest checking temps then.

HW Monitor seems to be the most reliable
Thanks, endend up unsing intel Power Gadget. Temps are fine, actually the problem was enabling reduce transparency option. I've no idea why it ''breaks'' my system

I recently spilled some coffee on the left side of my keyboard, made sure to let it dry, disassembled and cleaned it up thoroughly.
Judging by the inside I must have missed every piece of hardware except for the keyboard, which is sticky occasionally now.

At the same time I was playing around with my Clover install, and have noticed that my performance is absolute garbage now. I'm pretty sure that this is Clover related since the temps are pretty much normal since the incident.
Intel Power Gadget does not show anything extraordinary, frequency ranges from 1 to 3,5GHz, temps are normal.
I often get huge freezes and overflows when playing or exporting big Logic X projects.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Since darkvoid's config is not compatible with the XPS 13 9360 i7-7500 I had to adjust the parameters by myself.

i attached all problem report files and my clover folder.

My config:
Dell XPS 13 9360
Full HD non touch
Intel i7-7500u
8GB DDR3

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-03 um 21.05.01.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-03 um 21.05.01.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 166
  • debug_15772.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 180
  • CLOVER.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I recently spilled some coffee on the left side of my keyboard, made sure to let it dry, disassembled and cleaned it up thoroughly.
Judging by the inside I must have missed every piece of hardware except for the keyboard, which is sticky occasionally now.

At the same time I was playing around with my Clover install, and have noticed that my performance is absolute garbage now. I'm pretty sure that this is Clover related since the temps are pretty much normal since the incident.
Intel Power Gadget does not show anything extraordinary, frequency ranges from 1 to 3,5GHz, temps are normal.
I often get huge freezes and overflows when playing or exporting big Logic X projects.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Since darkvoid's config is not compatible with the XPS 13 9360 i7-7500 I had to adjust the parameters by myself.

i attached all problem report files and my clover folder.

My config:
Dell XPS 13 9360
Full HD non touch
Intel i7-7500u
8GB DDR3

EDIT: I installed Windows and got the same results. Seems like this is hardware related after all. I updated the BIOS and ran all Dell diagnostics and everything came back as okay. Is there anything else that I can do to fix this?

Since RAM is soldered the only thing you can try is to switch to another SSD. Otherwise you can’t really repair the mainboard, there are some cheap ones on Ebay tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back