Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be clear. The 'U' series of chipsets cannot be overclocked; the multiplier is locked.
I managed to achieve 3700mhz on all 4 cores, and temps are between 42c and 48c at idle. is there a way to make cpu perform @4ghz on all 4 cores?
I guess NOT overclocked since U series but I would like to perform at max turbo speed on all 4 cores if possible. thanks for your time and reply

Not that I'm aware of. @4GHz on all cores exceeds the stated TDP rating for this chip, so Intel prevents max clock on all 4 cores simultaneously.

Just out of interest, how are you measuring core speed? We used to have a pretty good tool (HWInfo) but since VirtualSMC has come along I haven't found a way to display clock speed/multipliers...

Not that I'm aware of. @4GHz on all cores exceeds the stated TDP rating for this chip, so Intel prevents max clock on all 4 cores simultaneously.

Just out of interest, how are you measuring core speed? We used to have a pretty good tool (HWInfo) but since VirtualSMC has come along I haven't found a way to display clock speed/multipliers...
I've been usingIntel Power Gadget, AppleIntelInfo found in the tools section of Hackintool, And I also use VoltageShift Monitor. I've upped my TDP to 44w and undervolted by -90mv cpu/cache and -75mv on Gpu giving me great temps and exploding performance!!!! Im VERY happy with my results @3.7GHz on all 4 cores performance wise and battery wise. I just thought that there was a way for this chip to reach 4ghz on all 4 cores. I've only seen it done in Linux with this chip and the results are only better by 300 points single core and 1200 multicore. I think 5100 and 17,200 is a great score with battery life and temps reasonably well. thanks for your time and help

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 6.49.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 6.49.24 PM.png
    710.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 8.53.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 8.53.41 PM.png
    452.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 8.58.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 8.58.49 PM.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 134
Yes I believe that specific chip was hacked with ME-disabled and a custom Linux kernel to maximise memory bw and throughput (have been in that biz before, know the tricks to get max scores). Hence the crusade to get this rig with a custom bios, but the hardware challenges to get there (proper SOIC/WSON plug, PI that doesn't fry) are eluding me at the moment...

Those are great scores. Could you post the full power/volt config (CPU/GPU/SA volt settings, TDP and anything else you've touched) so I'll see if I can get to similar scores, or at least optimise them :)

You're lucky in also having the 2400MHz DDR3 variant, which is quite rare. When Thaiphoon finally gets round to implementing LPDDR3 support for our Dell motherboards this will be in the reach of others as well.

Yes I believe that specific chip was hacked with ME-disabled and a custom Linux kernel to maximise memory bw and throughput (have been in that biz before, know the tricks to get max scores). Hence the crusade to get this rig with a custom bios, but the hardware challenges to get there (proper SOIC/WSON plug, PI that doesn't fry) are eluding me at the moment...

Those are great scores. Could you post the full power/volt config (CPU/GPU/SA volt settings, TDP and anything else you've touched) so I'll see if I can get to similar scores, or at least optimise them :)

You're lucky in also having the 2400MHz DDR3 variant, which is quite rare. When Thaiphoon finally gets round to implementing LPDDR3 support for our Dell motherboards this will be in the reach of others as well.
Can you could specify EXACTLY where to find the settings you want me to show you? also 2400mhz ddr3? I thought my ram was ddr4? ill post whatever you want, just show me where

Can you could specify EXACTLY where to find the settings you want me to show you? also 2400mhz ddr3? I thought my ram was ddr4? ill post whatever you want, just show me where
I am curious what your exact VoltageShift values are and how do I (did you) go about changing the TDP to 44w? Thanks much! Hoping to achieve the same results you have.

2400mhz ddr3? I thought my ram was ddr4?

The motherboard schematics aren't clear whether it's DDR3 or DDR4 so it could be either....

Can you could specify EXACTLY where to find the settings you want me to show you?

With regards to the UEFI settings, just send over the exact list of changes you implemented in the UEFI shell (ie: using setup_var) so I'll create a script for them and host them on github for future reference.

The below is just a subset; I imagine you've modified more settings to tweak things like TDP etc:

Code:
//HWP (Speed Shift)
setup_var 0x4AD 0x01

//Undervolt CPU
setup_var 0x653 0x46 // -0.070V
setup_var 0x655 0x01

//Undervolt GPU
setup_var 0x85A 0x4B //-0.075V
setup_var 0x863 0x4B //-0.075V
setup_var 0x85C 0x01
setup_var 0x865 0x01

//Undervolt Uncore
setup_var 0x852 0x4B
setup_var 0x854 0x01

//Overclock, CFG, WDT & XTU enable
setup_var 0x4DE 00
setup_var 0x64D 0x01
setup_var 0x64E 0x01

//DVMT patch
setup_var 0x785 0x06

I am curious what your exact VoltageShift values are and how do I (did you) go about changing the TDP to 44w? Thanks much! Hoping to achieve the same results you have.
The motherboard schematics aren't clear whether it's DDR3 or DDR4 so it could be either....

With regards to the UEFI settings, just send over the exact list of changes you implemented in the UEFI shell (ie: using setup_var) so I'll create a script for them and host them on github for future reference.

The below is just a subset; I imagine you've modified more settings to tweak things like TDP etc:

Code:
//HWP (Speed Shift)
setup_var 0x4AD 0x01

//Undervolt CPU
setup_var 0x653 0x46 // -0.070V
setup_var 0x655 0x01

//Undervolt GPU
setup_var 0x85A 0x4B //-0.075V
setup_var 0x863 0x4B //-0.075V
setup_var 0x85C 0x01
setup_var 0x865 0x01

//Undervolt Uncore
setup_var 0x852 0x4B
setup_var 0x854 0x01

//Overclock, CFG, WDT & XTU enable
setup_var 0x4DE 00
setup_var 0x64D 0x01
setup_var 0x64E 0x01

//DVMT patch
setup_var 0x785 0x06

EXCUSE my EMBARRASSMENT!!!!!! I do NOT know exactly what made this this way. As I requested in this post, I needed help getting the cpu to perform faster https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-long-term-support-guide.213141/post-1992472

After I did not get a clear response or answer, I went to dark void GitHub and downloaded the DVMT.efi file and changed it to Shell64U.efi and tried to run "setup_var" command by itself. I did not add any variables to it because I thought it was a pre-packaged script that would set everything up for me. Im not sure what smbios you are using but I use MacBook Pro 15,1, and I think the frequency vectors put the cpu into a "high Performance" state. At this point, I decided to undervolt the cpu/gpu/cache to see if the processor would still perform and High rate without draining battery and not getting too hot. Is there a command that I can run that will show all the values written on the MSR? im so embarrassed excuse my noob ness. I would love for you guys to figure this out in case I ever have to do a full reset, or if I upgrade my laptop in the near future. I wish I could've been of more help.

I was worried that when I saw the MSR readout in voltage shift monitor, that they were errors. but after some research I found they were not errors at all, but the actual values for what had been set on the MSR. Again this was NOT done by skill or carefully tweaking stuff. this was done by default, and I hope that we can get to the bottom of this.

Last edited:
Managed to get it to boot with the following settings (taken from RehabMans Laptop Config), however my HD620 is now displayed as 7MB and monitor brightness is not working. What am I missing? Cant attach problem reporting files, as I still use my external USB to start the new clover files.

Seem like a fresh install of macOS 10.14.6 with Darkvoid's EFI config has resulted to this as well (I used my own config.plist).

Sleep is broken and video memory it set to 7mb.

I presume this might be due to the EFI config not supporting macOS 10.14.6 (Darkvoid's repo states that it's a sample config only for 10.14.4).

Last edited:
change darkwake to 4 in the boot args
i had the same issue and this worked for me

(remember to also set DVMT pre-alloc to 128MB if HD or 192MB if you're on UHD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back