Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
@the-darkvoid

First, thank you for your answer!

I tried, but it doesnt change anything.

Here is the output i get :

mbp-de-loic:~ lobo$ sudo kextcache -i /
Password:
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f858a81a6f0 [0x7fffa60fd8f0]> { URL = "AppleBacklightFixup.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.hieplpvip.AppleBacklightFixup" }
AppleBacklightFixup.kext - dependency 'as.vit9696.Lilu' not found.
AppleBacklightFixup.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
KernelCache ID: 54FA3CC2817C148F8C96BCE870D18012
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f90dedfb950 [0x7fffa60fd8f0]> { URL = "AppleBacklightFixup.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.hieplpvip.AppleBacklightFixup" }

I have no idea how to fix kenel dependencies, should I look into it? Or is it likely to be related to something else?

AppleBacklightFixup.kext does not exist in my git repo, so not sure what files your setup is based on.
That is likely the cause of your issue.

Darkvoid, when OP left did they put you in charge of this thread or something? You act as though you're the guide author even though you never went to the trouble of writing one.

Ocytoxin, it appears you're missing Lilu. If you want to use kexts that need Lilu (it's typically the case now) and install them into /Library/Extensions, then you'll have to use LiluFriend too. And in my case, i found that also required switching from VirtualSMC to FakeSMC. With kexts in EFI/CLOVER, it's a little simpler.

@kylec,

I don't believe @bozma88 left, but he hasn't done any updates in quite a while.
Additionally, it would be appreciated that, before you point fingers, you actually know the history:

Over a year ago, @bozma88 had already posted he was doing a High Sierra guide, and I replied the following

@bozma88 has posted previously that he was going to do a High Sierra guide. My github, based on some of the work of @bozma88 is solely High Sierra, but I don't want to take away from his work by authoring a guide.

In the meantime people in this thread started using the hot-patch based repository I posted in this thread some 100's of replies back.

Personally I believe there is a lot more time invested in actually keeping a hackintosh repo up-to-date compared to writing a guide which follows the default hotpatch method described by @RehabMan.

On top of that drivers you are using today, were written by me from scratch, and later enhanced with @RehabMan's such as FakePCIID and BrcmPatchRAM. Feel free to look at my git repositories for other work, the XPS 9360 is not my first hackintosh.

As this is an open community, driven by contribution, it would be fantastic if you would contribute a guide, since you feel it is lacking.

That's the type of reply I should have expected. Fine - I don't wish to argue.

Just don't put words in my mouth. I have no desire to write guides. That's an ad hominem, anyway.

@the-darkvoid

First thanks alot for your commitment to the XPS 9360! It is a wonderful machine indeed ;)

I'm going to attempt my first hackintosh install next weekend after the arrival of my DW1560. I gathered quite alot of knowledge already, including mark perez guide and all the stuff regarding the correct CPUFriend kext (with voltage tables) aswell as making sleep work.

However, there is still one thing I still do not understand: as in post #1 stated, we do not need DSDT patches anymore, because "hotpatching" is used. I tried to find anything on Google relating this topic, but failed to find a comparison between the old and new method. In your GIthub repo I noticed, that your DSDT folder got updated 19 days ago - so it seems to me, that it is still used.
In mark perez guide however, the folder is not even touched and not copied to any EFI partition - is it of any importance?

Thank alot in advance to all of you!
And wish me luck with my first hackintosh experience hahah

Anyone else having a problem with the trackpad just stopping randomly, requiring a reboot? Is there some configuration of the VoodooI2C kext that addresses this issue?
I also have/had the problem of the trackpad not working when installing OSX, but after running through the steps to configure and reload the kext cache, it would work on boot, and post-sleep, etc. Now, it's randomly stopping, requiring a reboot.

This hasn't occurred again after pulling the latest version of DarkVoid's repo and updating my Clover/Kexts as such.

It might be just a coincidence, but by using alcid=11, instead of 56, I'm getting both a functioning internal microphone input (instead of a fake line-in), and normal stereo output (although perhaps not at the highest output volume) and most importantly, stable sleep(!)

Current remaining issues:
  • Bluetooth doesn't always re-enable from sleep, but it can be toggled on and off in preferences, and that fixes it. Otherwise works great, for both a Magic Mouse, and external audio (most of the time, see below)
  • Audio doesn't always work when connecting/disconnecting a bluetooth audio device. E.g. sometimes, I'll get audio, other times I won't, like when using Hangouts for video chat and switching audio sources, or enabling/disabling the bluetooth audio.
  • Right-click on the trackpad doesn't work, but my work-around is two-finger tap.
My kernel-task issues are definitely not nearly as prevalent as before, and the only thing I monkied with is the alcid.

BTW, I found the '11' layout option by looking at the https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs and matching it to the codec in the XPS 9360: Realtek ALC256 (3246)

I was able to resolve some of these issues by updating with the latest from @the-darkvoid repo: https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9360-macOS/

Also, there is some good information in some of the issues discussions that is missing from this forum:

Specifically, I was able to resolve both the trackpad right-click issue, and the headphone jack issues I encountered as they are both discussed there with proposed resolutions.

Many thanks to @the-darkvoid for doing the heavy lifting after @bozma88 's original guide has become stale, and for continuing to update and maintain the repository.

I've been doing some OpenGL application development and I've noticed that it reports the graphics card as a Intel UHD 617 rather than a UHD 620. As a result, the OpenGL support is actually more limited than what is available under native Windows 10.

The utility I'm using is called OpenGL Extensions Viewer (available in the AppStore, or from here: http://realtech-vr.com/admin/glview) and it has some good information on the graphics hardware.

Is there another Model ID that correctly identifies the Intel graphics and uses the correct driver?

In your GIthub repo I noticed, that your DSDT folder got updated 19 days ago - so it seems to me, that it is still used.
In mark perez guide however, the folder is not even touched and not copied to any EFI partition - is it of any importance?

What you saw is correct. Clover Hotpatching changes existing BIOS tables to allow MacOS to work properly.
On top of that we inject additional BIOS tables from the DSDT table to enhance the existing BIOS to support things like battery, brightness etc. Since information is added and not modified it is still hotpatching, as its mostly BIOS version independent.

Edit:

On second thought, the Perez guide possibly makes use of compiled DSDT patches only. They would be in the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder as .AML files. In my repo I include both the source .DSL files as well as the compiled files as .AML in CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

Last edited:
Hi all,

this is a "pre-troubles" post!

My MBP 13" early 2013 is close to pension and it has been a nice companion in all these years. So I'm looking around to find a good substitute that can endure at least 5 years without investing a as big amount of money as Apple would ask me if I go with them.

I use laptop when on travel for photo stuff, mainly Adobe LR and PS. So I need a big internal drive (1 or better 2TB) and 16GB of RAM, at least. My eyes are smiling at DELL XPS 13" but I'm wondering what model is better for my needs and reading here:

https://amp.laptopmag.com/articles/2018-dell-xps-13-vs-2017-xps-13

what is the model that ensure better compatibility among 9360, 9370 and 9380? If the answer is 9360 how to get the best configuration for this model?

I have an average, good experience on desktop hackintosh but never done a laptop! Thanks in advance guys for your answers!

PS: why you all need to format the NVMe to 4k sector or patching the Samsung models while onto desktop this is not necessary? Is a DELL BIOS related thing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back