Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the sound file for the bootchime located on the latest darkvoid build? Would like to customize it.

The git commit history shows only two files were added:
  • BootChimeDxe.efi (this is most likely where the file is)
  • AudioDxe.efi
I think if you are wanting to add your own sound file, you will have to recompile the EFI.

Hello!

I just managed to get Mojave runnning on my Dell XPS 9360 thanks to you guys! (Followed a bit of every guide I could find around here... But in particular mark perez guide and darkvoid's, so thanks again to you guys :) )

By the way, Coletz and Didii, it looks like we have the same versions of the 9360 : I have the i5 7200U, so it could be interesting to share our kext files. Regarding the CPU kext, I generated a file following the instructions of CPU friend, but i did not tweak anything, and like you it is running at 1.3Ghz on idle.

So I have most of the functions working except a couple of things (and maybe other things that i did not notice yet, who knows!) :

- The bluetooth : At the beginning, I could not even access the bluetooth menu, even if the hardware was detected (when asking siri to turn the bluetooth on, it would say it was already activated). So I did as Didii said and placed some more kext files, which unlocked the bluetooth menu, but sadly it looks like the bluetooth does not work correctly : The computer detects my bluetooth devices sometimes but it does not manage to establish a stable connection. (I tried with a mouse and a headset)

- The right click on the mousepad, does not work at all :/

- The brightness controls are not working

Do you guys have those problems as well? In particular regarding the controls and the right click on the touchpad.

I will keep looking around if I can find some fixes to this.

Last edited:
I feel really stupid asking this, but how would I generate a CPUFriendDataProvider.kext for my CPU mentioned above? (i7-7560U)

The plist files in the directory that CPUFriend asks for only go up to MacBookPro8,3. Is there something I'm missing?
Seems like many are having trouble with this. I agree; the readme file does not make sense that much.
But here's the rundown:
  1. Download the latest CPUFriend.kext release zip (As of posting this comment, it is 1.1.6): https://github.com/acidanthera/CPUFriend/releases
  2. Unzip the file, open the folder, and place the kext inside the Downloads folder
  3. Open up your (config.plist) file, go to "SMBIOS", and change the laptop model to what hardware you have (click on 2 rear-facing vertical arrows) (Usually, most people select "MacbookPro14,1" )
  4. Under the section "Board", note down the "Board-ID"
  5. Clone the CPUFriend repo in the terminal: cd ~/Downloads; git clone https://github.com/acidanthera/CPUFriend.git
  6. Change directory to the script (ResourceConverter.sh): cd ~/Downloads/CPUFriend/ResourceConverter/
  7. Run the command (as described in the instructions md file): ./ResourceConverter.sh --kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/(Your Board-ID)
  8. (CPUFriendDataProvider.kext) should now be there. Copy the 2 kexts into the EFI Folder of your SSD (EFI > CLOVER > kexts > Other)
  9. Remember to choose the correct model in SMBIOS. Save/Exit the config.plist file
  10. Run command to regenerate kexts: sudo kextcache -i /
  11. reboot

Last edited:
Anyone else getting big kernel_task cpu usage after wake? According to my research, this is Apple's way of trying to keep the machine cooler (and ultimately quieter) by 'fake throttling' the chip so other processes can't request more resources. However, the result is that the machine stays very warm, the fan barely engages and performance is reduced. I see usage of around 67% or so in kernel_task. I've already repasted and put in thermal pads on the heat pipes in an attempt to reduce overall temps, and it only had a mild effect.
I'm wondering if there's some post-sleep script that needs to run to reset the SMC or something to tell the fans to kick into higher gear. In Windows, using the Hardware Monitor, I'll see spikes of 100 degrees C on the package and all four cores which results in thermal throttling several times before the fan kicks in. But when they do, it'll run it much faster than I've ever noticed in MacOS. Any suggestions other than undervolting?

It might be just a coincidence, but by using alcid=11, instead of 56, I'm getting both a functioning internal microphone input (instead of a fake line-in), and normal stereo output (although perhaps not at the highest output volume) and most importantly, stable sleep(!)

Current remaining issues:
  • Bluetooth doesn't always re-enable from sleep, but it can be toggled on and off in preferences, and that fixes it. Otherwise works great, for both a Magic Mouse, and external audio (most of the time, see below)
  • Audio doesn't always work when connecting/disconnecting a bluetooth audio device. E.g. sometimes, I'll get audio, other times I won't, like when using Hangouts for video chat and switching audio sources, or enabling/disabling the bluetooth audio.
  • Right-click on the trackpad doesn't work, but my work-around is two-finger tap.

My kernel-task issues are definitely not nearly as prevalent as before, and the only thing I monkied with is the alcid.

BTW, I found the '11' layout option by looking at the https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs and matching it to the codec in the XPS 9360: Realtek ALC256 (3246)

Last edited:
Hello all. My machine just suffered a NVME SSD failure. I’m in the hunt for the best replacement option ASAP.

Is NVME a preferred route to go again? Specific drive suggestions?

Looking for something no less than 512GB. Thanks in advance.

Hello all. My machine just suffered a NVME SSD failure. I’m in the hunt for the best replacement option ASAP.

Is NVME a preferred route to go again? Specific drive suggestions?

Looking for something no less than 512GB. Thanks in advance.

Sorry about your woes - having an SSD failure truly sucks. Especially when RAID options on this machine are limited.

@the-darkvoid and I traded a few posts on this topic a few pages back, but I'll re-summarise here briefly:

1. NVMe (eg: 970 PRO/EVO et al) - great performance (though limited by 2 channels), but higher power consumption and you need to maintain NVMe patches
  2. SATA (eg: 850 EVO et al) - slower performance, but lower power consumption and (reasonably) low maintenance

Seems like many are having trouble with this. I agree; the readme file does not make sense that much.
But here's the rundown:
  1. Download the latest CPUFriend.kext release zip (As of posting this comment, it is 1.1.6): https://github.com/acidanthera/CPUFriend/releases
  2. Unzip the file, open the folder, and place the kext inside the Downloads folder
  3. Open up your (config.plist) file, go to "SMBIOS", and change the laptop model to what hardware you have (click on 2 rear-facing vertical arrows) (Usually, most people select "MacbookPro14,1" )
  4. Under the section "Board", note down the "Board-ID"
  5. Clone the CPUFriend repo in the terminal: cd ~/Downloads; git clone https://github.com/acidanthera/CPUFriend.git
  6. Change directory to the script (ResourceConverter.sh): cd ~/Downloads/CPUFriend/ResourceConverter/
  7. Run the command (as described in the instructions md file): ./ResourceConverter.sh --kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/(Your Board-ID)
  8. (CPUFriendDataProvider.kext) should now be there. Copy the 2 kexts into the EFI Folder of your SSD (EFI > CLOVER > kexts > Other)
  9. Remember to choose the correct model in SMBIOS. Save/Exit the config.plist file
  10. Run command to regenerate kexts: sudo kextcache -i /
  11. reboot

That's a nice writeup @markperez1904. Just don't forget to modify the frequencyVectors according to your machine's CPU inside the ..../X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/(Your Board-ID) =)

Sorry about your woes - having an SSD failure truly sucks. Especially when RAID options on this machine are limited.

@the-darkvoid and I traded a few posts on this topic a few pages back, but I'll re-summarise here briefly:

1. NVMe (eg: 970 PRO/EVO et al) - great performance (though limited by 2 channels), but higher power consumption and you need to maintain NVMe patches
  2. SATA (eg: 850 EVO et al) - slower performance, but lower power consumption and (reasonably) low maintenance

The new WD Black (with the new Western Digital designed controller) works pretty well and supports 4K sectors.
I use the 1TB model which has a model number of WDS100T2X0C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back