Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
@the-darkvoid I need your help with optimising the i7-8550U vectors.

I upgraded my motherboard into a i7-8550U w/ 16GB @ 2133Mhz. Surprisingly I can boot without CPUFriend, and it appears that I have most of the P-states as well, which means that XNU power management is working to some extent on 10.14.2.

I'm trying to optimise the CPU power profile now to maximise the performance under the 15W TDP. Not sure if I should use CPUFriend or not, or even Speed-Shift. Have you ever benchmarked the performance using Geekbench or any other tool? Any advice here would be appreciated.
Hi jkbuha, I have a question. You said that you "have most of the p-states", how can you check this?

Two easy methods. Intel's Power Gadget tool, or PikerAlpha's AppleIntelInfo kext.

Two easy methods. Intel's Power Gadget tool, or PikerAlpha's AppleIntelInfo kext.

Hi, jkbuha!
On sierra i have 0.7 GHz on the idle, but now on mojave it's around 1.2-1.3 GHz, could you please find out, whats wrong with cpu states? (i'm using your mojave config with some small modifications)

I also have no way to right click, with the trackpad. There was another report 10 or so pages back. Anybody have any ideas?

I'll post problem reporting files tomorrow, after I've finished my final post-install task (USB UIAC).

Hi, jkbuha!
On sierra i have 0.7 GHz on the idle, but now on mojave it's around 1.2-1.3 GHz, could you please find out, whats wrong with cpu states? (i'm using your mojave config with some small modifications)

Yes that's because I didn't optimise it for speed-shift config yet (Min 0.4GHz).
I'd suggest using CPUFriend; I'm going to be doing that shortly but for the i7-8550U so once that's done you can use and amend as required.

Yes that's because I didn't optimise it for speed-shift config yet (Min 0.4GHz).
I'd suggest using CPUFriend; I'm going to be doing that shortly but for the i7-8550U so once that's done you can use and amend as required.

Do you have a link for a tutorial on how to do a proper CPUFriend configuration? I would like to do that for my i7-7500U model.

I also have no way to right click, with the trackpad. There was another report 10 or so pages back. Anybody have any ideas?

I'll post problem reporting files tomorrow, after I've finished my final post-install task (USB UIAC).
Do you use the-darkvoid files? Enabled "Secondary click" and "Tab to click" in System Preferences -> Trackpad?

Yes, I do. Oh, I was trying to use "secondary click" without "tap to click," but I guess it's not possible.

Would be very helpful to understand how to generate CPUFriend data provider correctly. I've only seen a lot of people providing pre-generated data, but I can't find anyone describing the process. Can you @jkbuha give at least an hint on what to do? I totally understand if you can't/don't have time/don't want to bother with it anyway

Yes, I finally figured it out, by reading the VoodooI2C help / troubleshooting thread.

Here's the file - pull out the 2 kexts and put them in the EFI - Clover - Kext - Other folder, replacing the ones provided by DarkVoid. https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/files/2721949/VoodooI2C.zip

Relevant thread: https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/issues/108#issuecomment-450975161

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back