Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jkbuha, did you face issues with bluetooth on your latest mojave config?
I have a strange behavior with apple devices like magic mouse, and keyboard, they just failed on pairing attempt and then non-visible at all.

@jkbuha, did you face issues with bluetooth on your latest mojave config?
I have a strange behavior with apple devices like magic mouse, and keyboard, they just failed on pairing attempt and then non-visible at all.

No - magic mouse, keyboard et al work well with bluetooth on my rig.

To
Just installed Mojave on my 9360. I used @the-darkvoid GitHub for kexts. My Audio and Bluetooth don't work. My machine has a i7 8550u and a DW1830 card. The card uses the same kexts as the DW1560 so I thought the WiFi/BT would work fine with the Kexts from the GitHub. As for Audio, the GitHub has some audio files but I'm not sure how to use them. Any help would be appreciated. Also just to verify I did this correctly, post install I just copied over the DSDT as is from the GitHub. Is there anything else I need to do?
get audio working with DarkVoid latest repo I had to load the config.plist in clover, then select "boot" and add a custom flag with "alcid=11" That worked for me. Make sure you have a space between the last flag and this one. This is assuming you took his repo "as is" and didn't do any other audio patching/tweaks.

Hi guys, I'm having some issue trying to install sierra on my xps. I installed latest BIOS (.10), patched DVMT to 64M (I think, I'm not sure how to check it but now the installer is starting while before patching it was rebooting) and formatted the ssd for handling 4k blocks. Now I have the killer and intel wifi cards so I need to order the BCM one, but I'm trying to get something working before wasting another 30€ for the card. So question number one, is it possible to get a working machine without the correct card? Of course wifi/bt won't work, but I'd like to boot the machine before buying.

Second, I'm not sure if I'm doing everything the correct way. I picked a 32gb usb, fat32'ed 2 partitions, one for the EFI and one for macOS installer. Installed clover in UEFI mode, then (and here probably I'm wrong) removed the generated BOOT and CLOVER folders and added the one from the OP of this thread. Tried booting from clover, everything started, formatted to GUID Partition Map and started installing macOS. At the end of the process the xps SHOULD reboot, then restart the installation from where it was left. In my case it rebooted and the installation restarted from the beginning, so I can't complete the installation process. My main issue is that I can't read logs or check why nothing is working since the only log disappears in less than a second and then the xps reboots. I tried adding verbose and the flag to avoid reboot after kernel panic, but it's still rebooting. Do you guys know any way to read "old" logs from clover? Or anyone know what's going on with my pc?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I'm having some issue trying to install sierra on my xps. I installed latest BIOS (.10), patched DVMT to 64M (I think, I'm not sure how to check it but now the installer is starting while before patching it was rebooting) and formatted the ssd for handling 4k blocks. Now I have the killer and intel wifi cards so I need to order the BCM one, but I'm trying to get something working before wasting another 30€ for the card. So question number one, is it possible to get a working machine without the correct card? Of course wifi/bt won't work, but I'd like to boot the machine before buying.

Second, I'm not sure if I'm doing everything the correct way. I picked a 32gb usb, fat32'ed 2 partitions, one for the EFI and one for macOS installer. Installed clover in UEFI mode, then (and here probably I'm wrong) removed the generated BOOT and CLOVER folders and added the one from the OP of this thread. Tried booting from clover, everything started, formatted to GUID Partition Map and started installing macOS. At the end of the process the xps SHOULD reboot, then restart the installation from where it was left. In my case it rebooted and the installation restarted from the beginning, so I can't complete the installation process. My main issue is that I can't read logs or check why nothing is working since the only log disappears in less than a second and then the xps reboots. I tried adding verbose and the flag to avoid reboot after kernel panic, but it's still rebooting. Do you guys know any way to read "old" logs from clover? Or anyone know what's going on with my pc?

Thanks!
Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Although you should read the FAQ for an overview of issues, the Clover guide is linked from the first question: "Q. Where do I start?", just after the bold face "Clover Guide".
Here is a direct link, just to be clear:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Also, your profile must be filled out with complete details as requested in the FAQ, again under "Q. Where do I start?". All seven details requested are equally important.

And if you have an issue (after following the guide), or on any other problem, you must provide a detailed description of the problem including information that helps us understand what you're doing. Always attach "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html
The required files and data are fully detailed in the last question in the FAQ:
"Q. What are typical "Problem Reporting" files?"

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

Although you should read the FAQ for an overview of issues, the Clover guide is linked from the first question: "Q. Where do I start?", just after the bold face "Clover Guide".
Here is a direct link, just to be clear:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Also, your profile must be filled out with complete details as requested in the FAQ, again under "Q. Where do I start?". All seven details requested are equally important.

And if you have an issue (after following the guide), or on any other problem, you must provide a detailed description of the problem including information that helps us understand what you're doing. Always attach "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ.
The required files and data are fully detailed in the last question in the FAQ:
"Q. What are typical "Problem Reporting" files?"
Ok, sorry for not filling all the info (I'm still unsure on the mobo chipset of the xps 13 but it seems like no one compiled it). I've already followed the Clover guide and I'm stuck at step 6 of the second post (Install screen will appear and continue installation. This time, installer will install files to your target partition and create Recovery HD partition.). Installation is not proceeding in my case. It's restarting like the first time.
As per your request I'm trying to provide you some "problem reporting" files, but logs disappear in less than a second and my phone autofocus is not so fast, so I can't really take a picture (plus it takes about 30 minutes to install every time).
I was just asking if there's any way to track down this issue without getting crazy, but if getting the photo as fast as I can is the only way I'll try again. Maybe with a video it will be easier to get a good frame

(PS: as stated above I'm using EFI/CLOVER provided by bozma88 so I think it's not useful to provide it's folder here, but if it's needed I can attach it)

Ok, sorry for not filling all the info (I'm still unsure on the mobo chipset of the xps 13 but it seems like no one compiled it). I've already followed the Clover guide and I'm stuck at step 6 of the second post (Install screen will appear and continue installation. This time, installer will install files to your target partition and create Recovery HD partition.). Installation is not proceeding in my case. It's restarting like the first time.
As per your request I'm trying to provide you some "problem reporting" files, but logs disappear in less than a second and my phone autofocus is not so fast, so I can't really take a picture (plus it takes about 30 minutes to install every time).
I was just asking if there's any way to track down this issue without getting crazy, but if getting the photo as fast as I can is the only way I'll try again. Maybe with a video it will be easier to get a good frame

(PS: as stated above I'm using EFI/CLOVER provided by bozma88 so I think it's not useful to provide it's folder here, but if it's needed I can attach it)

You must pay careful attention to the boot entries shown by Clover at each reboot.

And if you have an issue, you must describe it clearly and attach "problem reporting" files.

Last edited:
So I managed to get a video, here's a screenshot of the issue. Here's the full video (about 20 sec): https://youtu[DOT]be/p-lfL_T69lw.
I'm getting the issue near to the end of the first step of the installation (last time was 6 second before the end but I've encountered the issue even 1 minute before the end, it's pretty random but always in less than a minute to the end)

Clover entries are the same each time, can't recall the correct name right now but I checked and it's always the same (just a single entry named like "install mac os Sierra from install_osx")

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181202-021059.png
    Screenshot_20181202-021059.png
    309.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
So I managed to get a video, here's a screenshot of the issue. I'm uploading the full video (about 20 sec) on yt if that can be more useful.
I'm getting the issue near to the end of the first step of the installation (last time was 6 second before the end but I've encountered the issue even 1 minute before the end, it's pretty random but always in less than a minute to the end)

Clover entries are the same each time, can't recall the correct name right now but I checked and it's always the same (just a single entry named like "install mac os Sierra from install_osx")
No "Problem Reporting" files attached (EFI/Clover missing).
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back