Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't realise that an automated tool existed. Wasn't there 'in my time'...

Here you go...
Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

I didn't check anything else.

Also, you should probably install the debug ACPIBatteryManager.kext as you get more logs in kernel_log.txt that way.
Make sure you let it run for a few minutes after boot (ACPIBatteryManager.kext polls only every 30 seconds).

Also installed the latest ACPIBatteryManager.kext, attached please find my problem reporting files :)
With this ACPIBatteryManager.kext the trackpad is erratic again, also the simultaneous keyboard/trackpad problem is still there :'(

EDIT: I also made so problem reporting files with release 2017-1001 for a comparison, these are called debug_20095.zip

Attachments

• debug_182.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 71
  • debug_20095.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Also installed the latest ACPIBatteryManager.kext, attached please find my problem reporting files :)
With this ACPIBatteryManager.kext the trackpad is erratic again, also the simultaneous keyboard/trackpad problem is still there :'(

EDIT: I also made so problem reporting files with release 2017-1001 for a comparison, these are called debug_20095.zip

Please collect logs that show multiple battery polls (these logs seem to terminate at login window showing).
You can get kernel logs since last boot with:
Code:
log show --last boot --style syslog >~/Desktop/kernel_log.txt

But first you need to fix your kext installation...

All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

I tried installing the kexts with kext utility multiple times.
So the problem in the kextcache output is the following?
"Kext with invalid signatured (-67030) allowed:"
I don't how to get rid of these (except putting everything into clover/kexts/other), I suggest kext utility does it all for me?!

ok @RehabMan - reading thru your reasons why to move to L/E... I get the philosophical need to do so, mainly because kextcache is more stringent and it's the macOS way (tm) - but I'm struggling a bit here to move my kexts/Other to L/E.

I've been trying to make this work for the last couple of days now. Every time I move even just a handful of kexts to the L/E partition, something breaks. I lose keyboard and mouse functionality (even if I don't move VPS2 and/or VI2C). Other times it's the display or bluetooth (Brcmxx.kext refuses steadfastly to load from L/E incidentally). It's only thanks to the fact that I have an emergency boot USB that I could boot into recovery mode and remove the offending kexts from L/E and put them where they belong.

Also, having (most of) my kexts and sys configuration on another partition has saved my bacon countless times, most recently with a failed upgrade from sierra-mojave.

So I'm not sure I'll be able to get you the debug files in the layout you want because it's a real issue to put the kexts in L/E, and to be honest the system is working perfectly at the moment. Appreciate you have a different design methodology (which is more correct than mine) but it seems like it's going to be too much of an effort to troubleshoot the movement of each kext and working out what's been broken each time. So it doesn't seem like it's going to work this time round.

ok @RehabMan - reading thru your reasons why to move to L/E... I get the philosophical need to do so, mainly because kextcache is more stringent and it's the macOS way (tm) - but I'm struggling a bit here to move my kexts/Other to L/E.

I've been trying to make this work for the last couple of days now. Every time I move even just a handful of kexts to the L/E partition, something breaks. I lose keyboard and mouse functionality (even if I don't move VPS2 and/or VI2C). Other times it's the display or bluetooth (Brcmxx.kext refuses steadfastly to load from L/E incidentally). It's only thanks to the fact that I have an emergency boot USB that I could boot into recovery mode and remove the offending kexts from L/E and put them where they belong.

Also, having (most of) my kexts and sys configuration on another partition has saved my bacon countless times, most recently with a failed upgrade from sierra-mojave.

So I'm not sure I'll be able to get you the debug files in the layout you want because it's a real issue to put the kexts in L/E, and to be honest the system is working perfectly at the moment. Appreciate you have a different design methodology (which is more correct than mine) but it seems like it's going to be too much of an effort to troubleshoot the movement of each kext and working out what's been broken each time. So it doesn't seem like it's going to work this time round.

If you have a question regarding a specific configuration you're using, you would need to attach problem reporting files that represent that configuration. No one can guess what you're actually doing.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Keep in mind "all kexts you need" may not correlate with your mention of "handful of kexts".

One other (minor) observation. I've had to resort to using older versions of ACPIBatteryManager, as the last two builds have caused erratic/sluggish trackpad behavio(u)r with VoodooI2C. Not sure if it's just my rig.

Try using the VirtualSMC update in the latest repo commit. It removes the dependency on ACPIBatteryManager entirely.

Thanks - that was quite a smart move. FakeSMC and ACPIBM are now gone - good work!

Only small issue is that CPU sensors seem to have gone as well (LPC, GPU and SMM are fine), so I've lost the clock & multiplier data. Am happy to write the sensor info for it - did it on the last round of FakeSMC data for the dell series. Do you have a link to the API docs?

Thanks - that was quite a smart move. FakeSMC and ACPIBM are now gone - good work!

Only small issue is that CPU sensors seem to have gone as well (LPC, GPU and SMM are fine), so I've lost the clock & multiplier data. Am happy to write the sensor info for it - did it on the last round of FakeSMC data for the dell series. Do you have a link to the API docs?

https://github.com/acidanthera/VirtualSMC

Note though that its design guidelines only support the Apple defined keys. I am not sure the keys you require are in there.
I might update the SMM module I wrote for FakeSMC to VirtualSMC to include the system fan RPM (keys F0ac and F1ac)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back