Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone here running Mojave yet? i just upgraded blindly after updating my kexts and i can't get the KBL framebuffer to load, only VESA working (when disabling InjectIntel). Using WhateverGreen + Lilu but i'm not sure if i need to configure anything for 10.14? I used InjectIntel and FakeID in Clover previously, which now doesn't seem to work anymore.

Your profile has no hardware details. Please fix as per FAQ:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Please try latest v2.1.4. I suspect it should be fixed with the change I've committed to VoodooI2CHID.

With the native multitouch emulation, the OS should be able to ignore trackpad input by itself, if an external mouse/trackpad is connected (If set in SysPrefs, of course). Therefore @the-darkvoid 's detection code can be disabled by default. If it is the source of the problem, and I suspect it really is, it should now be solved.
This is still useful with older OS's which doesn't support the Magic Trackpad 2, or systems with only single touch supported (so mouse emulation is used, and not native gesture engine).

With v2.1.4 only the buttons work, not the trackpad. I've had to revert to v2.0.3 for everything to work. Note that I'm on 10.12.6, so no HS or Mojave.

Not sure what darkvoid's detection code is - is it a kext or SSDT injection?

With v2.1.4 only the buttons work, not the trackpad. I've had to revert to v2.0.3 for everything to work. Note that I'm on 10.12.6, so no HS or Mojave.

Not sure what darkvoid's detection code is - is it a kext or SSDT injection?
That's... strange. Don't think I've heard about a problem like this.

You're using VoodooI2C + VoodooI2CHID, right? Can you please attach problem reporting files with 2.1.4? Are you sure you have latest versions of both? (Check the info.plist of VoodooI2CHID and see if the commit below is applied)
Please try disabling 'ignore built-in input when mouse or wireless trackpad is present' in SysPrefs.

the-darkvoid has submitted a pull request to VoodooI2CHID, a new feature in the kext, which detects if external mouse/trackpad is connected and then deactivates input from built-in trackpad. With v2.1+ the OS can detect external mice/trackpads by itself, so this is not necessary with native gestures engine.
You can try reverting to the latest version where trackpad worked (without external devices plugged in) and manually apply this:
https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2CHID/commit/2065450633d588f78c2adb040baff7deb6e42a2f

Last edited:
Thanks - that worked. I've figured out the cause of the problem, it was due to an incorrectly configured Bluetooth port configuration, which took me ages to troubleshoot with IORegistry. Disabling ProcessBluetoothMouse and ProcessUSBMouse works well now with v2.1.4. It's likely that the detection code will only work successfully if the underlying USB/BT configuration is correct, which for some reason it wasn't on my system (though external USB/BT keyboards+mice worked well...go figure)

I've also found another issue, namely that the latest version of VoodooPS2Controller (2018-0922) introduces a jerky movement on the I2C driver. I suspect that with these changes the I2C driver reverts to 'polling' mode, but I could be wrong (haven't enabled debug output on the driver yet). Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Is anyone here running Mojave yet? i just upgraded blindly after updating my kexts and i can't get the KBL framebuffer to load, only VESA working (when disabling InjectIntel). Using WhateverGreen + Lilu but i'm not sure if i need to configure anything for 10.14? I used InjectIntel and FakeID in Clover previously, which now doesn't seem to work anymore.

I tried configuring Devices/Properties/ properly, however when i use the same platform-id and device-id i used previously in clover (but reversed of course) i also get a kernel panic

I suspect it's to do with this...

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/

Please try latest v2.1.4. I suspect it should be fixed with the change I've committed to VoodooI2CHID.

With the native multitouch emulation, the OS should be able to ignore trackpad input by itself, if an external mouse/trackpad is connected (If set in SysPrefs, of course). Therefore @the-darkvoid 's detection code can be disabled by default. If it is the source of the problem, and I suspect it really is, it should now be solved.
This is still useful with older OS's which doesn't support the Magic Trackpad 2, or systems with only single touch supported (so mouse emulation is used, and not native gesture engine).

Besides turning the touchpad off when an external mouse is plugged in, its most important functionality is palm detection, or rather shortly disabling the touchpad when typing.

Without this functionality the mouse cursor tends to jump to different locations while typing, at least for me.

Besides turning the touchpad off when an external mouse is plugged in, its most important functionality is palm detection, or rather shortly disabling the touchpad when typing.

Without this functionality the mouse cursor tends to jump to different locations while typing, at least for me.
That was a different PR, wasn't it? (I love it!)

Regarding my KP with WhateverGreen + Lilu patching: i have "fixed" the problem by setting the UEFI variables for DVMT according to @the-darkvoid 's values. I previously wanted to avoid using this method as it seemed risky but it appears that either WhateverGreen failed to patch my DVMT values (even though i configured them in my config.plist Device/Properties section) or i just used the incorrect values...

Hello,

I did not update my XPS to High Sierra yet. I only did the tutorial on the first page. Is it possible to simply use the-darkvoids script on my machine, and then update to high sierra?
My XPS is a QHD 7th gen i7 with the stock NVME SSD

Thank you!

That was a different PR, wasn't it? (I love it!)

Related to the same basic integration between VoodooPS2 and VoodooI2C. I haven't looked at your diff so I don't know whats changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back