Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried that, and worked great. Idle power consumption of the cpu is now around 0.7 Watt, the Intel Power Gadget still shows 1.3 GHz, but I have now the same power consumption that was measured under Windows. :) Idle power consumption of the whole system (Still has the NVME SSD) is now around 5-6 Watt. For simple tasks (Safari, Matlab-Coding, Microsoft Office) the power consumption is between 6-9 Watt, far better then before, now I have better battery times then under windows 10 :D It would be interesting to change the SSD, does somebody know, if the High Sierra native NVME SSD support also comes with acceptable power management or is this still a problem ?
Are you sure you've installed an appropriate injector for your system? It should match your SMBIOS and max CPU frequency to have effect.
And of course minimum frequency should be modified from 0xD (=13=1.3Ghz) to something else ;)

Are you sure you've installed an appropriate injector for your system? It should match your SMBIOS and max CPU frequency to have effect.
And of course minimum frequency should be modified from 0xD (=13=1.3Ghz) to something else ;)

I made a backup from IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext used the freqVectorsEdit.sh to create a patched one for my CPU, edited, the Plist to my processor values. And then injected the Patched Kext via Clover. I've also found the solution for the 1.3 GHz problem, the freqVectorsEdit.sh just modify the first frequency vector in the .plist file, I manually modified the second vector and now the Intel Power Gadget shows the correct frequency down to 0.5 GHz...

I made a backup from IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext used the freqVectorsEdit.sh to create a patched one for my CPU, edited, the Plist to my processor values. And then injected the Patched Kext via Clover. I've also found the solution for the 1.3 GHz problem, the freqVectorsEdit.sh just modify the first frequency vector in the .plist file, I manually modified the second vector and now the Intel Power Gadget shows the correct frequency down to 0.5 GHz...
You can use the modified plist made by freqVectorsEdit.sh with the injector and restore IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext to the original one.
Just put this plist in the Resources folder inside the injector instead of the existing one :)

No need to inject via Clover. You can install the injector to /Library/Extensions.

Would you be able to share your Mac-B4831CEBD52A0C4C.plist? After trying everything else (re-paste, thermal pads, undervolt) this is the last item available to help improve battery/heat on the i7-8550u. Thanks so much.

Would you be able to share your Mac-B4831CEBD52A0C4C.plist? After trying everything else (re-paste, thermal pads, undervolt) this is the last item available to help improve battery/heat on the i7-8550u. Thanks so much.

Sure, do you have changes your SSD to a SATA M2 SDD ?

Attachments

• Mac-B4831CEBD52A0C4C.plist
    24.1 KB · Views: 255
Sure, do you have changes your SSD to a SATA M2 SDD ?

That is actually the next change I'm looking into. I removed the thermal pads since they were just making the bottom uncomfortable and actually stopping the fan entirely in windows. Also tried a crucial mx500 sata already, but the coil whine from the soldered LED was maddening (how does an SSD make thrashing noises) :) Any suggestions on sata drives? Looking at 860 EVO now.

That is actually the next change I'm looking into. I removed the thermal pads since they were just making the bottom uncomfortable and actually stopping the fan entirely in windows. Also tried a crucial mx500 sata already, but the coil whine from the soldered LED was maddening (how does an SSD make thrashing noises) :) Any suggestions on sata drives? Looking at 860 EVO now.
I have the SATA 860 EVO and have no noise. Great drive. I would highly recommend it.

I have the SATA 860 EVO and have no noise. Great drive. I would highly recommend it.

Glad to hear that since the 860 EVO 1TB is on the way for delivery tomorrow :)

Quick question for the broader audience, what is your average idle wattage with NVME/sata drives? I am seeing ~9w according to coconut w/ i7-8550u, QHD+, 16GB, Toshiba NVME. This is after the plist above (thanks @Thantor) and undervolt (-100 -50 -100) using voltageshift.

Thanks as always for the info, and HUGE thanks to everyone for this guide.

Glad to hear that since the 860 EVO 1TB is on the way for delivery tomorrow :)

Quick question for the broader audience, what is your average idle wattage with NVME/sata drives? I am seeing ~9w according to coconut w/ i7-8550u, QHD+, 16GB, Toshiba NVME. This is after the plist above (thanks @Thantor) and undervolt (-100 -50 -100) using voltageshift.

Thanks as always for the info, and HUGE thanks to everyone for this guide.

Hey,

1. Is there a forum for voltageshift? I seens to not work for me the commands go through but nothing is happening (followed and did voltageshift pre-requisites).
2. that did you do with the plist file and how did it help you?

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back