Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
High Sierra, 10.13.3.
Well then that’s the problem I believe, bc this guide is for Sierra and with the fix that was discovered usb-c adapters works fine on it, but it may be different on HS and needs a new fix. @the-darkvoid has this been tested by you or anyone else to see if it works?

Hi!

i'm new to the "Hackintosh world" so please be kind, if i'm asking stupid questions..

I stuck at "DVMT patching": I've successfully created a rom file using the Backup ToolKit, but the IFR Extractor isn't able to read it (Unknown protocol detected)..
Unfortunately, I've already updated to BIOS 2.5.1 and BIOS says that downgrading is unsupported.

I had updated my bios to 2.5.1 too and used Universal BIOS Backup Kit 2.0 to dump my bios successfully.
Guide and tools provides by Kinutsk still work and after extraction, it appears that the variables are still the same.

DVMT Pre-allocation Offset: 0x785
Values: 0x1 for 32M and 0x2 for 64M.

DVMT Total Gfx Memory Offset: 0x786
Values: 0x1 128M, 0x2 256M, 0x3 MAX.

I was concerned this was going to happen sooner or later as Dell is making changes to its BIOS headers.

All is not lost though; you can use the latest version of PhoenixTool (2.72+) and one of the largest roms in the dump folder (864kb) will be the BIOS setup module. Run that through the IFR decoder. Question remains - can you successfully boot into the efi shell and setup_var the nvram variables...

Boot into the efi shell and setup_var still work with 2.5.1 Bios. I had set 64M for DVMT Pre-allocation and MAX for DVMT Total Gfx Memory and I can boot on HS without problem.

Last edited:
Finally.

Ok so can you please check if this sequence works:

1) Boot into efi, set ME FW Reflash to enabled
2) Reboot, and drop into a DOS shell or Win32/64 admin prompt
3) Run MEInfo (google around for the relevant version) and see if it's fully disabled?

@jkbuha
it's done.
But MEInfo shows no difference after enabling ME FW RE-FLASH in the bios.

Sadly that's not good news. Enabling ME FW Re-flash in IFR should have disabled ME altogether on the next boot. It's one of the loopholes that was patched by Dell in v2.4.2.

The only way forward for anyone that's on this bios is hopefully to use the SW1 pinmod, but I haven't yet managed to make it work. Not sure if @the-darkvoid has managed either...

Oh, I m sorry. I did not understand the importance of boot on windows right after enabling ME FW RE-FLASH on your previous post.
I had try agin (twice) and after enabling ME FW RE-FLASH in the bios I got an error message from MEInfo.exe.
at the second reboot (after MEinfo error message). MEinfo work normaly but ME FW RE-FLASH is disable (again).

note: excuse my english :s

That's better news :)

Thanks for confirming.

Guys,

I’m thinking to hackintosh my 9360 too. However, how well does the trackpad perform? I heard it’s quite bad on the 9360+hackintosh :/

Guys,

I’m thinking to hackintosh my 9360 too. However, how well does the trackpad perform? I heard it’s quite bad on the 9360+hackintosh :/
It's nice. I'm using it right now.

Hi everyone! Really appreciate everyones work on the XPS line :).

I haven't been following the thread closely, but read bits and pieces. I'm thinking of trying to get a 9370 up and running as a hackintosh, can someone get me up to date on the current status? As I understand it, the current issues are:

- Soldered Killer WiFi. Requires someone to make native drivers, or a USB WiFi solution
- TouchScreen doesn't work(?)
- Thunderbolt 3 doesn't work(?)
- Potential issues with the SSD. Is it better to go with the SSD or SATA disk option to avoid any issues here?

If I misunderstood something, please correct the above bullet points. Any other major showstoppers for the 9370? And is there anything that can be done to enable TB3 or Touch functionality? And would getting a Developer edition (with Ubuntu pre-installed) help in any way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back