Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a debug without Opera. Bluetooth is still broken and boot still takes a lot of time.
I already disabled "Wake for network access".

My USB ports are still failing 1/2 boot (they're shown on IORegistryExplorer, but nothing plugged in detected, only BCM present, no webcam or external USB devices) with Brcm kexts, not sure if that could help you with the underlying cause.

Your ACPI configuration is wrong.
Try to disassemble your patchmatic -extract output with 'iasl -da -dl *.aml' and you'll see you have duplicate _DSM methods.

I'm booting with kext-dev-mode=1 but every time I rebuild the kext cache I get:

Kext with invalid signature (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x............................etc>

That is expected.

Custom BIOS requires disabling of Bootguard, which at the moment can only be disabled through another method which I'm not going through here (as it seems to be patched by BIOS 2.4.2).

Are you referring to Embedi's partial Boot Guard bypass (removing BootGuardDxe), or some other method?

EDIT: Never mind, I think I understand now.

Last edited:
Your ACPI configuration is wrong.
Try to disassemble your patchmatic -extract output with 'iasl -da -dl *.aml' and you'll see you have duplicate _DSM methods.

I guess you're refering to multiples "Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) // _DSM: Device-Specific Method", but honestly I don't really know what to do regarding this...

Are you referring to Embedi's partial Boot Guard bypass (removing BootGuardDxe), or some other method?

Another method. Removing BootGuardDxe on Dell machines will kick in Dell's Verified Boot which in turn will either brick the laptop or (hopefully) force a BIOS recovery from the hidden partition.

No, there's another backdoor, which has now been patched by BIOS 2.4.2. This is not the right forum to elaborate further here; suffice to say if you want to have modded BIOSes (with full options), patched VBIOS firmware and other macOS niceties such as DSDT/SSDT patches in firmware; stay on 2.3.1 or below.

I'm still investigating whether the SW1 mainboard short will allow BIOS downgrade; my concern is that 2.4.2 sets field programmable fuses (FPFs) which physically set hardware locks into the IC.

Menu bar battery percentage is not updated. Only way to update to an accurate percentage of battery remaining is to deselect the show percentage drop-down and then re-select the show percentage. Thanks much!

Edit: Also, graphic representation of the charger being plugged in does not change; as if the charger is not plugged in.

Attachments

• debug_30749.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Menu bar battery percentage is not updated. Only way to update to an accurate percentage of battery remaining is to deselect the show percentage drop-down and then re-select the show percentage. Thanks much!

Edit: Also, graphic representation of the charger being plugged in does not change; as if the charger is not plugged in.

Likely due to APFS + NVMe (which has always TRIM enabled).
Install on HFS+J instead.

This was working just fine on APFS + NVME prior to BIOS update. Something changed with the update and downgrade is not possible. Thanks.

Compare previous ACPI to new ACPI.
Use ACPIDebug as needed to debug your ACPI (assuming you have verified there really is a problem in ACPI with battery status).
But I think you should do a fresh install on HFS+J.
The problems that APFS + TRIM causes are well known.

Has anyone managed to get OSX running on the newest version of this laptop with the i5-8250u processor? Seriously considering picking one up soon and I would like to make sure I can still follow the installation guide. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back