Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the voltage optimisation on CPU+GT+SA, and the SATA replacement in place, I'm now getting 8h (avg consumption 1000mA) on regular usage, using full brightness and QHD. Pushing some optimisation further (down to 800mA consumption) I'm seeing 10h, see the attached.

There are a few other UEFI tweaks I'm testimga to the moment which force GenX mode on all PCIe devices and ASPM on NVMe. If these are fully stable they'll probably get a further 5-7% battery saving.

I've left touchscreen enabled but tbh macOS doesn't benefit from it (it actually hinders it), and I'm not that ecstatic on seeing fingerprints on the display under Windows. Besides using proper keyboard shortcuts has always been faster, at least for me. YMMV...

That said if you're not rushed I would hold out for the new XPS 13 with coffee lake and quad core, the benchmarks look v encouraging...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 10.01.17.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 10.01.17.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Incredible ! 8 to 10h battery life !

are u guys using a core i5 or i7 device ?
(Sorry I can’t see your signature on my iPhone browser )

@jkbuha : No rush, I can wait for the new CFL devices...at least to see if the battery get better with this gen.
And to see if Thunderbolt 3 is using 4 pcie lanes in this new gen as opposed to KBL xps’s.
Where did you fing the benchs ? URL ?

i7-7500U, same as bozma's...

New laptops with i7-8550U will allegedly launch in September, so maybe sooner than expected. Here's the link, claiming 44% performance in real-world applications. Note that the non-turbo clock speed has been clocked down to prevent overheating on four cores, but turbo is up to 4Ghz. Results are encouraging yet still to be validated...

http://www.techradar.com/news/dell-xps-13-refresh-gets-a-serious-power-boost-from-8th-gen-intel-cpus

Still 2 PCIe lanes though. It's a TDP requirement imposed by Intel rather than a Dell limitation. 4 lanes takes the power up to 20W, so not in U-territory.

With the voltage optimisation on CPU+GT+SA, and the SATA replacement in place, I'm now getting 8h (avg consumption 1000mA) on regular usage, using full brightness and QHD. Pushing some optimisation further (down to 800mA consumption) I'm seeing 10h, see the attached.

There are a few other UEFI tweaks I'm testimga to the moment which force GenX mode on all PCIe devices and ASPM on NVMe. If these are fully stable they'll probably get a further 5-7% battery saving.

I've left touchscreen enabled but tbh macOS doesn't benefit from it (it actually hinders it), and I'm not that ecstatic on seeing fingerprints on the display under Windows. Besides using proper keyboard shortcuts has always been faster, at least for me. YMMV...

That said if you're not rushed I would hold out for the new XPS 13 with coffee lake and quad core, the benchmarks look v encouraging...

Incredible ! 8 to 10h battery life !

are u guys using a core i5 or i7 device ?
(Sorry I can’t see your signature on my iPhone browser )

@jkbuha : No rush, I can wait for the new CFL devices...at least to see if the battery get better with this gen.
And to see if Thunderbolt 3 is using 4 pcie lanes in this new gen as opposed to KBL xps’s.
Where did you fing the benchs ? URL ?

My FHD system (i7-7500U, 100% brightness):

=> during idle:
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 12.38.18.png

=> during web browsing:
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 12.39.56.png

=> screen off:
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 12.49.55.png

Last edited:
Is there any chance of being able to modify these files for use with a 9350? Skylake vs KabyLake but otherwise I don't think much has changed. I tried booting the installer with the attached 9.01 files but it just got stuck at the Apple Loading screen. The bar didn't even come up.

With latest ACPIBatteryManager.kext it always shows low battery popup and red icon on my laptop (even it's 66% remaining).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 18.22.42.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 18.22.42.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 97
Never happened to me with latest ACPIBatteryManager.kext.

Hi, first of all thank you all for the amazing guide. I just bought an XPS 13 with i7560U, IRIS 940 and QHD display. I have now a problem with my attempt to install 10.12.6. After many attempts my USB appeared as bootable. I click on it, let the bar under the apple logo load until approximately 30%, then an error appeared (kernel panic).

I tried to follow the guide as much as possible and so far the only differences should be:

BIOS version: 1.3.7 (even if, considering the posts, should be supported fine).

BIOS settings: USB security level: unknown (there's no option with this name in BIOS settings. Anyway, UBUNTU booted fine)
Auto recovery: not shown, unknown

Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for the help

Attachments

• telegram-cloud-file-4-812334175-51019-7204335621284839539.jpg
    telegram-cloud-file-4-812334175-51019-7204335621284839539.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 81
  • EFI.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Hi, first of all thank you all for the amazing guide. I just bought an XPS 13 with i7560U, IRIS 940 and QHD display. I have now a problem with my attempt to install 10.12.6. After many attempts my USB appeared as bootable. I click on it, let the bar under the apple logo load until approximately 30%, then an error appeared (kernel panic).

I tried to follow the guide as much as possible and so far the only differences should be:

BIOS version: 1.3.7 (even if, considering the posts, should be supported fine).

BIOS settings: USB security level: unknown (there's no option with this name in BIOS settings. Anyway, UBUNTU booted fine)
Auto recovery: not shown, unknown

Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for the help

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back