Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so the screen issues on battery power are solved with a combo of board id and dvmt patching.

The one final issue is that the screen issues still happen whilst the screen turns off and on when power is plugged in. What is the difference here?

Did you implement backlight control correctly?
I ask because plugging/unplugging from AC causes automatic brightness adjustments.

Yes I used your kext patches for AppleBacklightInjector. The issues happen when the laptop is already plugged in and screen is off, and a key is pressed or wake event happens.

All screen glitches are now fixed on Sierra 10.12.6 with native Kaby Lake drivers on the i7-7500U with UHD. Thanks @RehabMan for helping me find a solution.

The solution involves a number of fixes, namely:

1) BIOS DVMT pre-alloc patching from 32MB to 128MB (setup_var 0x785 0x04)
2) BIOS DVMT max-alloc patching from 256MB to MAX (setup_var 0x786 0x03)
3) DVMT Framebuffer kext patch for ig-platform-id 59160000 - increase to 80MB and Cursor buffer to 12MB Cursor
4) Change SMBIOS to MacBookPro14,1

I've attached my Clover file for anyone with the QHD screen experiencing the same issues (in theory you should all see this at some point if you're using the native KBL drivers on Dell's QHD display). Note that I've disabled HWP and PluginType as I'm seeing approx 10-15% higher scores on Geekbench. Also I've discovered you can tweak your GT overclocking settings using UEFI variables, yielding another 5-10% increase, but that's for another post.

Attachments

• Clover_MBP141.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 443
Last edited:
All screen glitches are now fixed on Sierra 10.12.6 with native Kaby Lake drivers on the i7-7500U with UHD. Thanks @RehabMan for helping me find a solution.

3) DVMT Framebuffer kext patch for ig-platform-id 59160000 - increase to 80MB and Cursor buffer to 12MB Cursor

I've attached my Clover file for anyone with the QHD screen experiencing the same issues (in theory you should see this at some point if you're using the native KBL drivers on the Dell's QHD display). Note that I've disabled HWP and PluginType as I'm seeing approx 10-15% higher scores on Geekbench. Also I've discovered you can tweak your GT overclocking settings using UEFI variables, yielding another 5-10% increase, but that's for another post.

Thank you kind sir I also have qhd+ version. I was keeping a close eye on this thread. Thanks for troubleshooting :)

I've attached my Clover file for anyone with the QHD screen experiencing the same issues (in theory you should see this at some point if you're using the native KBL drivers on the Dell's QHD display). Note that I've disabled HWP and PluginType as I'm seeing approx 10-15% higher scores on Geekbench. Also I've discovered you can tweak your GT overclocking settings using UEFI variables, yielding another 5-10% increase, but that's for another post.
Awesome job @jkbuha :thumbup: Thank you!

I've attached my Clover file for anyone with the QHD screen experiencing the same issues (in theory you should all see this at some point if you're using the native KBL drivers on Dell's QHD display). Note that I've disabled HWP and PluginType as I'm seeing approx 10-15% higher scores on Geekbench. Also I've discovered you can tweak your GT overclocking settings using UEFI variables, yielding another 5-10% increase, but that's for another post.

Thanks for your work.

I follow your step to try to fix my problem.
But in my fhd devices, when enable hidpi resolution, still get garbled from sleep to wake.

Here's my config.
Is there other solution to fix this problem?

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 127

Thank you for your dedition on this!
Please share your findings for gpu overclocking/underclocking.
I'll implement your fixes and info in the main post as soon as I return from holidays.

Hi, had troubles with my bios. Did a reset. Does anyone has the 1.3.5 Bios, please. Cannot find it with google or dell support page. Thank you!

Edit:
Found it at github. thx

Last edited:
I've worked out the necessary IFR variables to make the overclocking & undervolting settings persist. As a result the laptop now runs cooler and gets higher Geekbench scores (as the TDP limit is not reached so often, hence less throttling).

However some work still needs to be done before these settings are stable, and needless to say this is quite risky as the BIOS cannot POST with incorrect settings - including recovery mode - so it won't be easy to reset to factory defaults.

I'll continue to experiment for a while until they are fully operational, then post them. Seeing as your topic focusses on stability and LTS it might make more sense to open a parallel topic on macOS & BIOS optimisation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back