Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, thats exactly what i did. tryed until one matched the uefi protocol. So... can anybody confirm with my screenshoot that i have to type "setup_var 0x785 0x2" ¿? thanks.

Mashny, i dont care about taking some screenshots of the process, but as yout can see im not an expert. What parts of the whole process do you want screens?

YES "setup_var 0x785 0x2" is correct. Take a screenshot of each step u took and also write down the name of the uefi file. I'd be greatful for that :)

YES "setup_var 0x785 0x2" is correct. Take a screenshot of each step u took and also write down the name of the uefi file. I'd be greatful for that :)
OK mashny, here you go the screens, i think i did it well but i dont know why windows tell me 128Mb (last screen) ¿?, hope this is what you want. im gonna try with next steps, that i think is taking the acpi path in windows. Thanks!

Attachments

• dvmt patching 1.jpg
    dvmt patching 1.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 129
  • dvmt patching 2.jpg
    dvmt patching 2.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 120
  • dvmt patching 3.jpg
    dvmt patching 3.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 141
  • dvmt patching 4.jpg
    dvmt patching 4.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 140
  • dvmt patching 5.jpg
    dvmt patching 5.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 139
  • dvmt patching 6.jpg
    dvmt patching 6.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 128
  • dvmt patching 7.jpg
    dvmt patching 7.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 153
  • dvmt patching 8.jpg
    dvmt patching 8.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 126
  • dvmt patching 9.jpg
    dvmt patching 9.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 139
  • dvmt patching 10.JPG
    dvmt patching 10.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 135
  • dvmt patching 11.JPG
    dvmt patching 11.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
  • dvmt patching 12.jpg
    dvmt patching 12.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 121
OK mashny, here you go the screens, i think i did it well but i dont know why windows tell me 128Mb (last screen) ¿?, hope this is what you want. im gonna try with next steps, that i think is taking the acpi path in windows. Thanks!
Windows is not the best in determining DVMT-prealloc

I got some problem when i use the HiDPI resolution.
If the machine wake from sleep, screen will be garbled like the image.
wPHrHLZ.jpg

And sometimes use trackpad to drag item will crash and reboot.
Is there any solution?
My OS version is 10.12.3.
Clover 2.4k r4049.
Thanks!

Whilst I support the use of HWP in principle (even though I'm not sure of the net gain in battery life vs performance reduction), there are currently a number of known issues with HWP and darkwake. The solution so far seems to be to low-level format the NVME in 4k clusters as opposed to the default 512b.

@bozma88 - please correct me if I'm wrong.

HWP is not in my guide as for now because of these facts:
- you get ~10% better battery life, but it's unreliable in frequency scaling: sometimes turbo frequencies do not work after wake from stdby. Tried dropping all ssdt related tables but the issue persists and it's not easily replicable.
- some issues on wake from standby, in rare occurrences the screen does not power up.
- you may get filesystem corruption due to this suspected cause: a bug/incomplete fix in Pike NVME patches that, on Dell platforms, do not correctly handle low level sectors during dark wakes or hibernations. Solution to corruptions seems to be running native NVME drivers by running a 4k low level format, but not all the drives (e.g. Samsungs) support this, so it's not a universal solution. If your drive supports it, totally go for it (I did) even if you don't want to enable HWP.

By using the incomplete PM in this guide I had no issues in the past 3 months. I use the laptop daily for work and critical tasks. It never failed a boot, a resume from standby, frequency scaling always runs fine, run cool, battery life is predictable and it never froze once. The day we'll be able to run HWP with this kind of reliability, I'll upgrade the guide.

Remember that my commitmet is to offer LTS on this hack.
I absolutely do not want to trade 1h of battery life to make a super-reliable and super fast hackintosh an unreliable one.
With this configuration, it benchmarks higher than the 13" mb pro.

I am the only one who get a crash when plug/unplug AC while OS is running?
Any idea, its very anoying to shut down the computer eahc time i want to charge. thanks

No one yet knows why this is occurring, and only on specific boards. It creeps up back every time I reset it, and I find that I need to make the laptop sleep in order to charge/unplug it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back