Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok but I'm not sure if that answered the question....did you do a 4k alignment? Also did you use a special tool for the formatting or Linux gparyed or something else?

No need to align as all the stack is now operating at 4K sector size.
Look:

Code:
$ diskutil info / | grep Block
   Device Block Size:        4096 Bytes
   Allocation Block Size:    4096 Bytes

Steps:
0) Do a full Time-Machine backup. SSD will be formatted, all data will be lost.
1) Boot Ubuntu 16.10 Live USB
2) Enable Wifi by allowing third-party drivers through the "Additional Drivers" application
3) Enable Universe repo and reload repo database
4) sudo apt install smartmontools
5) sudo apt install nvme-cli
6) sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0

If the output is:

Code:
Supported LBA Sizes (NSID 0x1)
Id Fmt  Data  Metadt  Rel_Perf
 0 +     512       0         2
 1 -    4096       0         1

Your drive supports both 512B and 4KB sector sizes.
[+] setting is the active one.
You can then switch [0] setting (512B LBA) to [1] setting [4KB LBA] by typing:

7) nvme format -l 1 /dev/nvme0
8) Remove SSDT-NVME, HACKRNVMEFAMILY.kext and/or Clover storage hotpatches from your EFI bootloader.
8) Do a time machine restore after formatting the SSD
9) After booting, disable again hibernatemode:

Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage
sudo touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage
sudo chflags uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage

10) You are now running 100% vanilla storage drivers. Trim is enabled by default.

The source and credits for this mini-guide go to Nos1609, link here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...er-macos-sierra-is-ready/page-50#entry2377304

Last edited:
No need to align as all the stack is now operating at 4K sector size.
Look:

Code:
$ diskutil info / | grep Block
   Device Block Size:        4096 Bytes
   Allocation Block Size:    4096 Bytes

Steps:
0) Do a full Time-Machine backup. SSD will be formatted, all data will be lost.
1) Boot Ubuntu 16.10 Live USB
2) Enable Wifi by allowing third-party drivers through the "Additional Drivers" application
3) Enable Universe repo and reload repo database
4) sudo apt install smartmontools
5) sudo apt install nvme-cli
6) sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0

If the output is:

Code:
Supported LBA Sizes (NSID 0x1)
Id Fmt  Data  Metadt  Rel_Perf
 0 +     512       0         2
 1 -    4096       0         1

Your drive supports both 512B and 4KB sector sizes.
[+] setting is the active one.
You can then switch [0] setting (512B LBA) to [1] setting [4KB LBA] by typing:

7) nvme format -l 1 /dev/nvme0
8) Remove SSDT-NVME, HACKRNVMEFAMILY.kext and/or Clover storage hotpatches from your EFI bootloader.
8) Do a time machine restore after formatting the SSD
9) After booting, disable again hibernatemode:

Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage
sudo touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage
sudo chflags uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage

10) You are now running 100% vanilla storage drivers. Trim is enabled by default.
Perfect! Thanks for the detailed instructions @bozma88 and credit due to @nos1609! You guys are awesome! :thumbup:

Last edited:
No it's just not listed for some other reason. This was a concern of mine as well, but it is safe to use 0x3 for 96M. I would upgrade to 1.3.2 first. Then do the DVMT change. Afterwards if you want to confirm it set to 0x3 just type
Code:
setup_var 0x785
with nothing after it.

Thanks, got it... I need more spare time for the bios upgrade, so I will try to do it over the weekend to make all the changes.

@adrians I was not able to get any other screen resolution with that patch, stuck at 3200! With ......0004. I reverted to 0x19160000 and immediately was presented with a better screen resolution and no glitches. Although for initial install I needed to use 0004 otherwise the screen would go black on the QHD screen with only using the 0x1916000 and not come back on.

Try 0x19160002

I tried to install the updates to upgrade from 12.2 to 12.3 in App Store and after I push the restart, I get for about 2 sec the black screen with apple logo showing the bar progress starts but then it crashes an reboots and nothing happens. It appears again in the App Store update to restart. How do I fix that?

Absolutely no idea. I did upgrade from AppStore flawlessly.

You're right (obviously). I overlooked a glaring issue. Needed to enable ports in kext patcher and copy USBInjectAll to system drive (it really doesn't work well when injected by clover). Thanks to this the <device id> has now changed to 9d2f.

I've attached a second attempt at this. It is looking better now with USBInjectAll kext in the system drive...

View attachment 240356

If you expect me to check your work, you must provide "Problem Reporting" files.

Correct. Platform-IDs for HD520 are 0x19160000 and 0x19160002. Nothing else. Look here.

Did you mean HD620?
I will try the 0002 and report back.

A message to everyone:
I managed to reformat the NVME drive by enabling 4K sectors.
This will mean three things:

1 - no more need to patch NVME kext! No more Hackrnvmefamily! No more hotpatches!
2 - faster ssd write speed
3 - I'll need your help: we'll have to verify that every SSD shipped with this laptop supports the 4K sector size. If every 9360 NVME configuration will work with 4K sectors, I'll remove all the tedious nvme patches from the guide.

Note background info/original credit that leads to this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...er-macos-sierra-is-ready/page-50#entry2377304

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back