Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
jkbuha, have you tried going back to Windows? I'm getting similar behavior in Windows 10 now, where if the laptop is on battery power it just freezes. Fresh install helped until I installed the Intel HD 620 drivers, upon which the behavior came right back. I even tried reflashing 1.3.2 BIOS, and using setup_var to revert back to 32MB DVMT, all with no luck. I'm at wit's end at this point...

I was worried about this, but I've continued to test this on Windows and it works fine.

I don't have the 9360 at the moment and will try and do it this evening, but in the meantime if you do (and have time) could you try the following:

- As @RehabMan said, could you remove the back of the laptop, unplug the battery cable and press the power button for 30 secs? That should clear EC and restore it to factory settings.

- @bozma88 has pointed out a good link to the graphics control panel option in Windows and disabling panel self refresh.

Just installed MacOS Sierra :) After booting the first time and disabling hibernation i tried charing the laptop->freeze
I have a QHD, i7, 16gb 512gb model.
now i will continue with the guide

That's very, very unfortunate.
In the next days I will try to replicate the issue by doing a clean install myself.
-> Maybe the fault is a new hardware revision?
-> Maybe a new motherboard revision?
-> Maybe the QHD screen?

Can someone try to reset the EC controller manually (by removing the cover, unplugging battery and pressing power for 30sec)?

Wanted to chime in on my experience installing & using macOS on my XPS 13 QHD w/ i7 & 8GB of RAM.

• Been running for 5 days so far, rock solid stability.
  • Sound takes a while to come back after closing and opening lid.
  • Noticing increased coil whine compared to Windows. Was thinking it could be the Toshiba SSD as pointed out by @bozma88, but haven't narrowed it down yet. Loud enough to be heard even with background noise/conversations.
  • Mounted USB drives are showing up as internal, which means tools like Boot Camp don't detect it in order to make a bootable Windows install disk.
  • NullEthernet + iPhone USB tethering works for internet, allowing iMessage/App Store/iTunes setup.
  • No charging freeze. Patched my own DSDT, DVMT set to 96MB, and latest BIOS (1.3.2).

Last edited:
  • Mounted USB drives are showing up as internal, which means tools like Boot Camp don't detect it in order to make a bootable Windows install disk.
You probably have incorrect USB configuration. Follow RehabMan's 10.11+ USB guide if the guide doesn't already provide you with the correct configuration.

My XPS QHD Touch w/ i5 & 8Gb

Is also rock solid after some initial driver conflicts (caused by me)
Charging, unplugging and plugging is no problem.
I patched my DVMT to 96MB (0x3)
USB-C doesn't work quite right but, from what I hear nobodies can hot plug/swap
I did not patch my own DSDT, I know, I know. I'm slacking. (I'll redo it soon)
I upgrading my SDD to a 1TB Crucial MX300. (Almost no coil whine compared to the stock 128GB SanDisk X400)

Hey,

How did you enable the headphone jack? My XPS13 does see the headphones but I only get static sound when I plug my headphones in. I uploaded my clover folder maybe you guys can find something im doing wrong!

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 114
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back