Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bozma88 I wanted to get back to you about the cause of my crashes. It turns out I never properly cleaned up the kext files from one of your previous kext folders. This was my fault. I left AppleHDA & CloverHDA on the same system. This caused kernel_task to freak out and run at up to 700%.

My theory on the audio pop when the audio goes active: Even my 13" MPB has the pop although much lower. My observation about the 9360 and CloverHDA is that the output volume is incredibly loud. Somehow the master volume needs to be turndown on the soundcard so the pop is not so pronounced.

Last edited:
I'll put in my 2 cents. I'll be the first to admit I was lazy and just tried using the pre-compiled DSDT. I just compiled my own using Clover F4 and the freezing bug is still there.

1 - Do you recall making some modifications before the issue appeared?
No. The only thing I installed was Intel Power Gadget to make sure power management was working
2 - Describe "freeze": permanent lock or it lasts just a few seconds?
Same as above - Permanent lock need to hold down power button and reboot.
3 - Is it consistent and replicable 100% of the times?
Same as above - Yes and it does not freeze when using Windows.
4 - Did you try with an USB-C charger?
No, don't have one. Plugging in a Dell TB15 also causes the freezing, whereas it works just fine in Windows
5 - Try connecting the charger WHILE moving the cursor with trackpad, and continue moving it. Does it freeze?
Same as above - Yes, it immediately freezes when plugged in or unplugged moving cursor doesn't help.
6 - Do you have FHD or QHD screen?
FHD
7 - Do you have USB peripherals connected?
Tried with and without USB peripherals, same behavior
8 - What BIOS version and MacOS version are you running?
1.3.2 and 10.2.3
9 - Did you patch your own ACPI files?(DSDT/SSDT)
Initially no, but now running with patched DSDT and using SSDTs from post. My Clover/ACPI/patched folder contains DSDT, SSDT-ALC256, SSDT-NVMe-Pcc, and SSDT-TB

I'll put in my 2 cents. I'll be the first to admit I was lazy and just tried using the pre-compiled DSDT. I just compiled my own using Clover F4 and the freezing bug is still there.

1 - Do you recall making some modifications before the issue appeared?
No. The only thing I installed was Intel Power Gadget to make sure power management was working
2 - Describe "freeze": permanent lock or it lasts just a few seconds?
Same as above - Permanent lock need to hold down power button and reboot.
3 - Is it consistent and replicable 100% of the times?
Same as above - Yes and it does not freeze when using Windows.
4 - Did you try with an USB-C charger?
No, don't have one. Plugging in a Dell TB15 also causes the freezing, whereas it works just fine in Windows
5 - Try connecting the charger WHILE moving the cursor with trackpad, and continue moving it. Does it freeze?
Same as above - Yes, it immediately freezes when plugged in or unplugged moving cursor doesn't help.
6 - Do you have FHD or QHD screen?
FHD
7 - Do you have USB peripherals connected?
Tried with and without USB peripherals, same behavior
8 - What BIOS version and MacOS version are you running?
1.3.2 and 10.2.3
9 - Did you patch your own ACPI files?(DSDT/SSDT)
Initially no, but now running with patched DSDT and using SSDTs from post. My Clover/ACPI/patched folder contains DSDT, SSDT-ALC256, SSDT-NVMe-Pcc, and SSDT-TB

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

I'll look for anything obvious...

Bad idea...
As per ACPI guide, it is always a bad idea to use ACPI files from another computer.

Agreed. Was just being lazy. TBH I should have known better from previous laptops...

I've now applied the patches to my own DSDT and the issues still persist.

This is what I (we) do know now...

1) Initially the plugging in/out of charger works.
2) At some change (nvram/ec change?) it freezes
3) Booting install OSX USB freezes as well, so it's not an OSX-installation or kext problem
4) It doesn't happen in Windows, or Clover boot Menu.
5) Plugging/removing charger whilst sleeping in OSX works

I'd like to fully reset nvram and/or ec as I suspect some register changes are happening here...

@bozma88 in your clover config.plist you are using HDALayoutID:13 is that universal for everyone's 9360? Meaning we don't need to change that?

Agreed. Was just being lazy. TBH I should have known better from previous laptops...

I've now applied the patches to my own DSDT and the issues still persist.

This is what I (we) do know now...

1) Initially the plugging in/out of charger works.
2) At some change (nvram/ec change?) it freezes
3) Booting install OSX USB freezes as well, so it's not an OSX-installation or kext problem
4) It doesn't happen in Windows, or Clover boot Menu.
5) Plugging/removing charger whilst sleeping in OSX works

I'd like to fully reset nvram and/or ec as I suspect some register changes are happening here...

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Well @RehabMan @bozma88 and 9360 owners with this power plug freeze, not sure what to make of this now. I just started doing a fresh install of the OS from USB and while it was starting the install and seeing the progress bar I just plugged it into the power supply and BAM! Frozen!:banghead:

Well @RehabMan @bozma88 and 9360 owners with this power plug freeze, not sure what to make of this now. I just started doing a fresh install of the OS from USB and while it was starting the install and seeing the progress bar I just plugged it into the power supply and BAM! Frozen!:banghead:

Possibly an ACPI problem.
We'll see if anyone ever uploads "Problem Reporting" files...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back