Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have set my DVMT on my XPS9360 to 64mb, but I read in another thread that if you have a QHD screen you should set it to 96 or 128, but in the values in the extracted text file from the BIOS I only see options for 32m, Value: 0x1 and 64m, Value: 0x2 and only smaller amounts after them. (4m, Value: 0xF0) Is it safe to assume that I can use 0x3 for 96m and 0x4 for 128m or are those not listed for the simple reason because they are not available options?

I have set my DVMT on my XPS9360 to 64mb, but I read in another thread that if you have a QHD screen you should set it to 96 or 128, but in the values in the extracted text file from the BIOS I only see options for 32m, Value: 0x1 and 64m, Value: 0x2 and only smaller amounts after them. (4m, Value: 0xF0) Is it safe to assume that I can use 0x3 for 96m and 0x4 for 128m or are those not listed for the simple reason because they are not available options?

My QHD Dell 9360 is set to 96mb 0x3. It seems to work just as far as the video driver/screen is concerned.

It seems that Fn+ESC changes (toggles) the default keyboard functions for the Fn keys.

Now back to my audio issues. It seems Traktor causes CloverHDA to flip out and takes the kernel_task with it. My machine seems to run pretty okay most of the time but, once I launch Traktor Scratch Pro it's a rap for the kernel. I'll do more investigating and let you guys know what I find but, I doubt any of you use Traktor.

Damn shame for me. I really would like to replace my 2016 15" Macbook Pro with 9360 hackintosh.

Thanks again to @bozma88 for the work you put into this thread.

I use Traktor + AudioHijack as well and tbh cloverHDA does my head in. I also dont like the unnatural pop when the amp goes quiet and I suspect it's cloverHDA again.

When I've got some spare time I'll try and patch AppleHDA the natural way, but it may be a couple weeks off...

I use Traktor + AudioHijack as well and tbh cloverHDA does my head in. I also dont like the unnatural pop when the amp goes quiet and I suspect it's cloverHDA again.

When I've got some spare time I'll try and patch AppleHDA the natural way, but it may be a couple weeks off...

The same speaker POP can be observed on Windows after updating and installing all the drivers, this is an aggressive power saving feature. I suspect it's tuned to avoid hearing coil whine through the speakers, so the amp is immediately shutdown when audio level falls below a threshold (which currently is NOT 0db).
If you can discover how to edit this threshold or the shutdown delay, we could tune them.
Maybe @RehabMan's CodecCommander is able to do this.

Good point. I'll see if TimeWalker is still around on this project. He was the creator of CodecCommander...

It looks like I might have found the source of my crashes but, it's too early to tell right now. I'll use this machine for a day or 2 and report back.

Good point. I'll see if TimeWalker is still around on this project. He was the creator of CodecCommander...

CodecCommander is completely configurable via ACPI (RMCF method). Read the README and refer to the examples.

In the meantime I still haven't figured out why Clover or OSX freeze if I plug or unplug the charger. Doesn't happen in Windows, so I'm thinking it's either a kext or an efi plugin in Clover.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for this guide, it's really excellent work.

I have managed to get Thunderbolt working on my 9360 (i7 / 16gb / QHD / 512gb).

The steps I took were:
  1. Update to firmware 1.3.2
  2. Update Thunderbolt controller firmware (http://www.dell.com/support/home/us...-13-9360-laptop&languageCode=en&categoryId=CS)
  3. Select Thunderbolt security level 0 in BIOS
You will not be able to hot swap, but it's working well for me with external storage devices.

One problem I have is that it cannot seem to communicate with video devices (Blackmagic Mini Monitor and Mini Recorder tested and working in Windows) - not sure what that's about, but I hope to get to the bottom of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back