Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Motherboard
XPS 9360
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
Intel HD620
Mobile Phone
Android
I got some problem when i use the HiDPI resolution.
If the machine wake from sleep, screen will be garbled like the image.

And sometimes use trackpad to drag item will crash and reboot.
Is there any solution?
My OS version is 10.12.3.
Clover 2.4k r4049.
Thanks!

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360 (Clover)
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920x1080
Whilst I support the use of HWP in principle (even though I'm not sure of the net gain in battery life vs performance reduction), there are currently a number of known issues with HWP and darkwake. The solution so far seems to be to low-level format the NVME in 4k clusters as opposed to the default 512b.

@bozma88 - please correct me if I'm wrong.
HWP is not in my guide as for now because of these facts:
- you get ~10% better battery life, but it's unreliable in frequency scaling: sometimes turbo frequencies do not work after wake from stdby. Tried dropping all ssdt related tables but the issue persists and it's not easily replicable.
- some issues on wake from standby, in rare occurrences the screen does not power up.
- you may get filesystem corruption due to this suspected cause: a bug/incomplete fix in Pike NVME patches that, on Dell platforms, do not correctly handle low level sectors during dark wakes or hibernations. Solution to corruptions seems to be running native NVME drivers by running a 4k low level format, but not all the drives (e.g. Samsungs) support this, so it's not a universal solution. If your drive supports it, totally go for it (I did) even if you don't want to enable HWP.

By using the incomplete PM in this guide I had no issues in the past 3 months. I use the laptop daily for work and critical tasks. It never failed a boot, a resume from standby, frequency scaling always runs fine, run cool, battery life is predictable and it never froze once. The day we'll be able to run HWP with this kind of reliability, I'll upgrade the guide.

Remember that my commitmet is to offer LTS on this hack.
I absolutely do not want to trade 1h of battery life to make a super-reliable and super fast hackintosh an unreliable one.
With this configuration, it benchmarks higher than the 13" mb pro.

Motherboard
asus z97-a
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
intel hd 620
I am the only one who get a crash when plug/unplug AC while OS is running?
Any idea, its very anoying to shut down the computer eahc time i want to charge. thanks

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook Pro
No one yet knows why this is occurring, and only on specific boards. It creeps up back every time I reset it, and I find that I need to make the laptop sleep in order to charge/unplug it.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360 (Clover)
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920x1080
Given this serious and unsolved issue, my advice is to try the automated Syscl installer after wiping your system disk. You find it on GitHub.
It is over-engineered in my opinion, patching a lot of things without precise knowledge of the resulting effects, but it might give you the chance to find what's making the laptop freeze after power plug/unplug.
Try and report back, if you have some spare time. Any help in making this guide better is welcome.

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook Pro
@syscl 's installer does not (yet) automatically/fully work on the 9360... the installer doesn't successfully compile (the initial DSDT edits that @bozma88 proposes are missing, so iasl bombs out with a compile error...). Even if these bugs are fixed, and DSDT compilation is successful, the 9360 (mine at least) does not boot and gives a KP.

Even after I've manually inserted each of the patches into my optimised DSDT, the freezing issue still occurs.

I now have two theories:

- It could be related to ACPI Backlight. Reason is that occasionally I can plug/unplug whilst the screen is off and osx is running (not sleeping)
- It could be related to EC/NVRAM/BIOS. Reason is that I can reset the EC controller, clear nvram and reset bios settings and the freezing issue goes away. But it always comes back.... just like in the movie...

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Sup guys, long time!

So I finally got around to updating the hack. Formatted to 4k LBA, and updated to 10.12.4. Something I noticed is that Clover complains that my partitions are not aligned, not sure if this is relevant to macOS though. Either way I attempted shifting the partitions with gdisk, parted, gparted, as well as wiping everything and remaking by hand, and what got me really confused is that each tool has a different idea of what 'aligned' means: parted, gparted, and macOS all write the 1st partition after 6 empty sectors, while gdisk leaves 125 sectors. In both cases Clover claimed there was an alignment error. Do you think this has an impact on macOS? In any case I'm not sure its possible to pre-make the partitions as macOS definitely erases the drive when restoring from TimeMachine, and possibly during clean installation as well. I did an AmorphousDisk test and my values were comparable to yours.

IMG_1527.jpgScreen Shot 2017-04-24 at 11.53.49 PM.png

I do a couple things differently to you though: I run HWP to disable turboboost, this almost eliminates coil-whine, keeps temps below 80C and squeezes a bit more out the battery. It'll probably also explains the reduced ssd read speeds. I also use AppleALC as cloverALC/CodecCommander crashed the bluetooth controller too often (along with AppleIntelLpssI2CController.kext hanging on boot). Since I use bluetooth headphones and mouse, bluetooth is more important to me than jack-sense.

I'm also hot patching everything, got most of the essentials down. This post is getting a bit long so won't go into details, but attaching Clover for anyone interested. Keep in mind nvme patches are gone due to 4k format. I've also noticed that none of the AAPL,GfxYTile group patches are necessary anymore, I don't get glitches without them.

Attachments

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Something I noticed is that Clover complains that my partitions are not aligned, not sure if this is relevant to macOS though.
In both cases Clover claimed there was an alignment error. Do you think this has an impact on macOS?
Those logs are not coming from Clover.

You should partition using Disk Utility.

I'm also hot patching everything,
Cool to see someone new try ACPI hotpatch (based on my guide)....

FYI: that OSID->XSID patch looks wrong... (you only need to take care of _OSI->XOSI....)